Kickstarter/Indiegogo campaign idea

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
szopin
Average Program

Kickstarter/Indiegogo campaign idea

Post by szopin »

Last update to tron was ages ago. Win8 support is shaky. How about we start a funding campaign to fund coding effort to finish/fix the game? For however much we can gather we could hire developers that would work on bringing minimap/login support to all platforms, lowering latency etc. I am willing to shell a few tens of euros for the game I love, if we can have our original developers doing it, even better, they know the code. Opensource doesn't have to mean payless. I do not have the guts to ask our devs to work even more for free, if we could offer them an incentive maybe we could even get a mobile port? Depends on how many members are willing to donate/fund, but if we offered them a month of paid work we could expect quite a lot, no?
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Re: Kickstarter/Indiegogo campaign idea

Post by Light »

You might just wanna forum search this topic.
Jip
Round Winner

Post by Jip »

See this topic. It would be great if it worked. But someone has to do the campaign and PR.

Sorry, forgot also this and this topic.
Vogue
Match Winner

Post by Vogue »

lol @ these two bitter nannies above me

anyways

we should totally do kickstarter for tron
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Light »

Vogue wrote:lol @ these two bitter nannies above me
lol This topic was just up here a short time ago. I just figure he may as well read through the recent convo and add to that rather than having everything restated here.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

The thing about crowdfunding is, to be sucessful you need one of two things: something that amazes people or something entertaining. We can see the worth in crowdfunding by asking serious questions about what Armagetron offers to people. Asking the public to fund a game because a bunch of people are addicted isn't going to work.

Since we already have a thread, let's all ask questions -- and them maybe try to answer some of them.

Why does Arma need funding? What is a reasonable funding goal? What does the public get for their contribution? How can we break the goal into incentives? What is the "wow factor" in Armagetron (What will amaze people and get them excited?) How can we communicate these ideas intelliglbly while entertaining people?

This should get us started.

One other thing we can do is look at other, similar project that did get funding. What did they offer? How can we model our goals after their success?
Vogue
Match Winner

Post by Vogue »

what about copyright issues?
takburger
Match Winner

Post by takburger »

Copyright issues:
- you can make a mail to disney asking them to get granted the use of the name we have which is a bit close to their licence name. And you show how the game does not give bad reputation of their product but instead is some side fan stuff.

or

- you can use it without asking, guessing that it will not raise their wrath. I would feel bad to see Z-man posting a scan of a very deadly mail. But I think they don't care about this, we are not negative, we are not big and it would cost them too much to pay attention to us.

About Crowdfunding:
its like when you go in front of investors, if you haven't invested your own money, you'll get bashed. If the community here does not give a dime, how can we decently go and ask other people?

Also, we need some people who accept to show their face to a camera and talk (well) to the camera.

for your questions sine (the ones I could say something about):
It needs funding to continue the development of a game already played and very active competitionwise
Reasonable funding goal: ask Z-man but this question is tricky because so far it is spare time activity from volunteering devs

I would have a story told kind of like this in a kickstarter video:

1/ introducing the game throughout personal experience (wow effect)
2/ show community amazing contribution and involvement (Ladle unexpected statistics) and addiction as well as achievements (many free games tops include arma, there was interest from private companies but the project must remain open etc)
3/ raise issues, point goals ask money

But on a personal level, the 0.2.xxx is perfect for me.
Vogue
Match Winner

Post by Vogue »

you'd be surprised how many big companies go after super small things just cause of copyright, iirc zman once mentioned he'd rather stay off disneys radar. however, it'd be great to make this game more popular, the problem is, it isn't "modern" whatsoever. the developers should mention a budget and we can base the kickstarter $$ off that, then discuss some modern features that'd appeal to the masses. these are only small things i can think of atm, but i truly believe there's a market for this game.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

We definitely need some developer input. There are blueprints for this game, but as far as I know none based around generating income and we have no idea how much time and money would be involved other than "a lot." Might even be cheaper to start from scratch.

We should also explore how to market the game away from Tron. 2020's angle about education is good.
AI-team
Shutout Match Winner

Post by AI-team »

When we talk about fixing the game, do we mean a rewrite? because the current code base is a mess at best

"95% of people believe in every quote you post on the internet" ~ Abraham Lincoln

Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

sinewav wrote:2020's angle about education is good.
No way.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Phytotron wrote:
sinewav wrote:2020's angle about education is good.
No way.
Yeah I know what you mean. The point I'm trying to make, poorly, is that maybe there is a way to market the game away from "Tron Clone" to something worthwhile that people can get behind, maybe something that makes people feel good and positive. The byproduct of that effort is the game game gets better for the average person here who doesn't give a crap. We could use some out of the box thinking, though maybe not 2020's side of the box.