Tools and stuff

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
TaZ
Round Winner

Re: Tools and stuff

Post by TaZ »

Gazelle wrote:
Tazmania wrote:That Server config builder is awesome! I wish I would have had something like this years ago.
Yeahhhhh then we wouldn't of had to deal with your shit servers:p
I think most would agree my servers were top notch :P
Gazelle
Match Winner

Post by Gazelle »

lmfao, eh slide.. err slide, ********** slide.. GOD DAMNIT TAZ SLIDE.

Oh sorry, kinda reminiscing. xD
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

I do use a free host that gives good performance and no ads. http://www.000webhost.com After much experimentation, I have found this to be the best free host out there, and many others have reviewed it the same. Their motivation to give you a great experience is to sell you the paid hosting they offer. But, if you don't need ssh access, but like the idea of no ads, unlimited databases, and unlimited domains, this is a great host. In the two years I have used them, I have actually only experienced 1 downtime that lasted about 4 hours.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
epsy

Post by epsy »

compguygene wrote:I do use a free host that gives good performance and no ads. http://www.000webhost.com After much experimentation, I have found this to be the best free host out there, and many others have reviewed it the same. Their motivation to give you a great experience is to sell you the paid hosting they offer. But, if you don't need ssh access, but like the idea of no ads, unlimited databases, and unlimited domains, this is a great host. In the two years I have used them, I have actually only experienced 1 downtime that lasted about 4 hours.
They'll delete your shit without notice. Just a heads up.
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

Epsy, that is not true at all. After I did finally get paid hosting, mostly for business purposes, I moved over just about everything to the paid hosting. However, I did have two sites that were completely dormant for about 8 months. As a result, the sites were disabled, but not my account. Since I had not logged in for 8 months, the suspended my account. I logged in, and with a few mouse clicks, everything was restored. This free hosting service has a long track record of being good to their customers. That is why I use them for things that are appropriate to do with free hosting.
epsy

Post by epsy »

I just double-checked my email and nope, no notice, just one day the site would be missing and my credentials didn't work.
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

You are right about no notice. But, it only happens when you go too long without logging into the control panel. If you do login within a month of your account going dormant, your credentials will still work. According to the TOS, there are limits on inactivity, which is only fair to them. As long as you log into your control panel, once a month you won't have these problems. To me, that is a small price to pay for no ads and good performance.
Durf
Match Winner

Post by Durf »

Thanks for the compliment Taz.
If you notice anything that needs improving, don't hesitate to tell me.

And thanks for the free web host suggestions. I've considered setting up a dedicated comp and hosting myself!
Ads are not the issue (they are just annoying with my current host), I most likely would put my own ads if my host's ads weren't there.
....But isn't this all off topic?

Mainly, I wanted more of a central location to host ALL the tron tools out there.
It seems like every clan out there has something of their own but there is nothing 'official'.
Which, imo, would make it lots easier for newbies to gain knowledge (such as color codes, map xml, etc).

While I'd rather not change my URL so often, I will look into these hosts.
Thanks for the suggestions.
TaZ
Round Winner

Post by TaZ »

Gazelle wrote:lmfao, eh slide.. err slide, ********** slide.. GOD DAMNIT TAZ SLIDE.

Oh sorry, kinda reminiscing. xD
Noooo, that was your dial-up internet. :D
Durf wrote:Thanks for the compliment Taz.
If you notice anything that needs improving, don't hesitate to tell me.

And thanks for the free web host suggestions. I've considered setting up a dedicated comp and hosting myself!
Ads are not the issue (they are just annoying with my current host), I most likely would put my own ads if my host's ads weren't there.
....But isn't this all off topic?

Mainly, I wanted more of a central location to host ALL the tron tools out there.
It seems like every clan out there has something of their own but there is nothing 'official'.
Which, imo, would make it lots easier for newbies to gain knowledge (such as color codes, map xml, etc).

While I'd rather not change my URL so often, I will look into these hosts.
Thanks for the suggestions.
Could you add a nice server browser?
Durf
Match Winner

Post by Durf »

I could.. I already had something in the works..but why?

Is there something wrong with this one or CT's?
Mainly the reason why I haven't finished mine is because fine examples already exist.
However if you are looking for something in particular that these ones are missing, please be more specific and I'll see what I can do.

P.S - if you don't mind, I need more feedback for the map creator, has anyone been able to try this out?
TaZ
Round Winner

Post by TaZ »

I like the CT browser, but it sometimes bugs out. I don't know if it's on their end, but it takes a while for it to be fixed.
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

Tazmania wrote:I like the CT browser, but it sometimes bugs out. I don't know if it's on their end, but it takes a while for it to be fixed.
problems start when z-mans master does not work right. At least that is waht it has been lately (although noone ever tells me when it is outdated for more than 300 seconds).
Durf
Match Winner

Post by Durf »

kyle wrote:
Tazmania wrote:I like the CT browser, but it sometimes bugs out. I don't know if it's on their end, but it takes a while for it to be fixed.
problems start when z-mans master does not work right. At least that is waht it has been lately (although noone ever tells me when it is outdated for more than 300 seconds).
@taz, this is also what I have found to be the limiting factor when it comes to server browsers. At times everything 'should' work and just won't.

@kyle, you could modify your page so that whenever anyone runs it, and the data age is more than 300 seconds, to have the script email you a notification (only for the first time; may get annoying getting multiple emails in one day for that)

@taz, If there was anything in particular you wanted to see different in the server browsers, I'm not sure what else there is I can add...I could add one in my site of tools for the sake of having one there along with all the other stuff..?
TaZ
Round Winner

Post by TaZ »

Maybe a personalized server browser where you could input your favorite tronners and they would be highlighted every time you viewed the server browser page.
Bytes
Round Winner

Post by Bytes »

Who owns armagetron.co.uk?
That's a useful site and it's easy to find, plus has a lot of other tools/helpful stuff on.