Shenanaboosh Server's and Hosting

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Re: Shenanaboosh Server's and Hosting

Post by Light »

LOVER$BOY wrote:Actually I wanted to do it but... as always I couldn't get a screen recorder installed in ubuntu. Maybe I should try installing it in my vmware and then go from there. What do you think?
Just use FFMPEG and x11grab with primary screen as input. Then use a second input for audio. If you use Pulseaudio, you will need to choose the device in your sound options after you start recording.

So something like this.

Code: Select all

avconv -f x11grab -s 1920x1080 -r 25 -i :0.0 -q:v 2 -f alsa -ac 2 -i pulse -q:a 2 myVideo.mkv
-s is the size of video to capture
-r is fps
-i is the input (first is display, second is pulseaudio)
-ac is audio channels
-q:v -q:a is video and audio quality (lower is better)

If you wish to only record part of your screen, you can use an offset on the display input as well.

Code: Select all

avconv -f x11grab -s 640x480 -r 25 -i :0.0+400,380 -q:v 2 -f alsa -ac 2 -i pulse -q:a 2 myVideo.mkv
So it would record a 640x480 with the top left corner being at 400, 380 on your screen.

As an alternative, you could try RecordMyDesktop. It should be in Ubuntu repos.
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

Post by LOVER$BOY »

Ok. I'll try that out later :)

Thanks for the info ;)

Also, I've updated that tutorial link for armagetron ubuntu server install. Thought the ZThread needs an update and I uploaded one onto my website. I've fixed it, tested it and it works great! :D
Light

Post by Light »

LOVER$BOY wrote:Also, I've updated that tutorial link for armagetron ubuntu server install. Thought the ZThread needs an update and I uploaded one onto my website. I've fixed it, tested it and it works great! :D
Which one? If you mean mine, can you please let me know what was wrong? I have written a tutorial for Wiki and I'm going to post it when I can get permission to use external links. I made another script to completely set up everything. :P

// Edit
Never mind, I see the wiki page on your site that you were talking about.
Light

Post by Light »

LOVER$BOY wrote:Ok. I'll try that out later :)

Thanks for the info ;)

Also, I've updated that tutorial link for armagetron ubuntu server install. Thought the ZThread needs an update and I uploaded one onto my website. I've fixed it, tested it and it works great! :D
Instead of that, make it:
make
sudo make install

or
make && sudo make install

When you use sudo - its only for the following command. After && you are basically on a new line.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Phytotron wrote:That said....
sinewav wrote:There is no way for an average Armagetron player to create a decent public server.
Z-man has expressed several times in the past that that's intentional. Being that this game's servers are hosted by the player base themselves, he wanted to try and ensure that the main people to put up servers would be those who really know what they're doing. I'll let him clarify and elaborate on that if he wants, and state whether he still takes that position.
That sounds like we make it intentionally difficult. We don't. We just leave it as difficult as it naturally is and spend our limited resources elsewhere and not on documenting the five most popular linux distributions or keeping up to date with reasonable VPS offers. The rationale being is that we do not suffer from a lack of servers overall, so any effort spent there would simply increase the server to player ratio from 2 to 4. Of course, we don't actually care about the number of total servers, we care about quality servers, which you may argue are missing; but Running and maintaining a really good server unavoidably takes a lot of dedication and some technical skill, so I would say any hurdle at the server setup step *mostly* weeds out servers that would crap anyway.
Light

Post by Light »

Z-Man wrote:That sounds like we make it intentionally difficult. We don't. We just leave it as difficult as it naturally is and spend our limited resources elsewhere and not on documenting the five most popular linux distributions or keeping up to date with reasonable VPS offers. The rationale being is that we do not suffer from a lack of servers overall, so any effort spent there would simply increase the server to player ratio from 2 to 4. Of course, we don't actually care about the number of total servers, we care about quality servers, which you may argue are missing; but Running and maintaining a really good server unavoidably takes a lot of dedication and some technical skill, so I would say any hurdle at the server setup step *mostly* weeds out servers that would crap anyway.
I may have made it extremely easy for Debian distros like Ubuntu and Mint. :X Do you have anything against me releasing it on the wiki? It's just scripts that pretty much set everything up for you.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Light wrote:I may have made it extremely easy for Debian distros like Ubuntu and Mint. :X Do you have anything against me releasing it on the wiki?
My guess is no, since the vast majority of players are Windows users and a huge chunk of the Linux users already know how to set up a server. Your script isn't likely to cause a flood of bad servers.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Plus, it's all just about what I am doing. You guys do whatever. If you want to start a service where people click on a button and a custom named fortress clone server comes up, go ahead.
Cody
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Cody »

Z-Man wrote:If you want to start a service where people click on a button and a custom named fortress clone server comes up, go ahead.
I lol'd so hard

I always find it odd on how many servers are exact clones and only 1 or maybe 2 get used on a daily basis
Light

Post by Light »

sinewav wrote:My guess is no, since the vast majority of players are Windows users and a huge chunk of the Linux users already know how to set up a server. Your script isn't likely to cause a flood of bad servers.
I was thinking more about the people who are willing to invest a couple bucks in a VPS or dedi and set up real servers that will run 24/7. I've come across many people who ask how to set up a server, and willing to pay for the renting and whatnot to get them going. If nothing else, it made it easy for people who already know what they're doing to set up quicker anyways, and update with a simple script.
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

Post by LOVER$BOY »

Light wrote:
LOVER$BOY wrote:Ok. I'll try that out later :)

Thanks for the info ;)

Instead of that, make it:
make
sudo make install

or
make && sudo make install

When you use sudo - its only for the following command. After && you are basically on a new line.
Oh oops... wrong way around, I see :P

Anyway, even with that the problem hasn't changed... It still lacked the permission to create that file and that stopped the install from happening.
Light

Post by Light »

LOVER$BOY wrote:Oh oops... wrong way around, I see :P

Anyway, even with that the problem hasn't changed... It still lacked the permission to create that file and that stopped the install from happening.
Did you log your input/output? If you run make install with sudo, you shouldn't lack any permissions for it.

You may have lacked permissions for make, if you ran configure as root. Then you would need to run both make and make install as root (with sudo).

Usually a tutorial shouldn't have you run anything but the make install as root though.
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

Post by LOVER$BOY »

Oh well... that tutorial will still be handy for people who might have faced my sort of problem :P
Light

Post by Light »

LOVER$BOY wrote:Oh well... that tutorial will still be handy for people who might have faced my sort of problem :P
If you're going to do it that way though, you may as well just have them do the whole thing as root. Then they don't have to get the error before doing it.

Either way don't matter since you have to be root to install it to that dir I believe.
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

Post by LOVER$BOY »

Light wrote:
LOVER$BOY wrote:Oh well... that tutorial will still be handy for people who might have faced my sort of problem :P
If you're going to do it that way though, you may as well just have them do the whole thing as root. Then they don't have to get the error before doing it.

Either way don't matter since you have to be root to install it to that dir I believe.
That's definitely true. I think I only was missing root access since I only logged into my regular admin account (which lacks most of root access).