Pickup Channel for Public Games

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Pickup Channel for Public Games

Post by sinewav »

For a long time now it has been considered unacceptable to promote pickup games during a public Fortress match. It sucks when a lively public game dies, but promoting can launch hours of good pickup games.

I noticed the other day how I spend a lot of time watching the pickup channel for games to start, but never check a server browser for Fortress games currently being played. I thought, "hey wouldn't it be neat to have the pickup bot periodically report any public Fortress games in session?" I would be just as happy to jump into a public game while waiting for pickup (which might never happen). Sometimes no one is !added at all and a public game might be short one or two players. It would be nice to know this!

This is not to say I want to ruin pickup games by driving people to public Fort (won't happen). But, if there were a deeper connection between pickup and public games, then we can have stronger, more frequent public games which eventually feed the pickup channel. Everyone wins. And, if public games can be promoted in pickup, then we can stop yelling "don't promote" to our friends.
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Re: Pickup Channel for Public Games

Post by epsy »

There are less than 5 actually public fortress servers. That is, servers which require logging in and/or selecting a team. While I can tolerate the last part, I will not allow login-only servers to be promoted in the pickup channel under the guise of promoting "public" games. Once that is resolved, I'll gladly help set up ArmaPickupBot to do that. Sorry server admins, but you'll have to put in a little more effort than rinclud'ing the ladle config and calling it quits.
Monkey
Match Winner

Post by Monkey »

I definitely agree with what you are saying about "public" fort servers epsy, in fact I was going to post something about it today but you've kind of beaten me to it. All public fortress servers should not require login, yet many of them do, for no good reason. I actually learnt to play Arma on Fortress Cafe, which had no login requirement. If we want to get more people playing fortress then we are not going the right way about it at the moment. I have already spoken to stereo about the new oops server. He says he is thinking about putting up another, properly open fort server. As for the others, all we can do is speak to admins and hope for a good response.
Playing since December 2006
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

We really don't need more than 2 public Fortress servers, really. Think about the MegaFort days -- everyone played in the same server no matter what was available. I think with a little effort we can get some truly open servers. Since the RoadRunnerZ family if servers is so popular, maybe we can have a .rZ sponsored Open Fort? Something with 8 slots per team?
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Light »

I could try hostin' an open fort server if you wanted to create the settings. I would assume it's not far off of the ladle config, so it should be a small edit to create them the way you'd like.

I'm just not sure if I can handle 16 users in a game, but I don't think it would be a problem. I think that's only a problem with smaller turns in df that start lagging over 10+ users.

Let me know if ya wanna try. (:
I'm headin' to bed now though, so tomorrow I'll do it if you want.
vov
Match Winner

Post by vov »

Here's some quick public fort server settings to copy+paste to your settings_custom.cfg (read the comments though ;)) :

Code: Select all

include examples/cvs_test/fortress_complete.cfg  # Fortress settings, the shipped ones.

explosion_radius 0.75        # optional: popular small holes, otherwise you'll get big Fort-Cafe ones
limit_rounds 100             # optional: the match doesn't end by rounds which is today's popular too, otherwise you'll get 10 rounds
team_max_players 9           # optional: more people in a team, adjust number to your needs
fortress_defend_rate 0.25    # optional: 2v2 ganks DON'T conquer the zone (ladle style behaviour)

# Optional settings regarding conquest scores; these are the ones common today:
fortress_conquered_score 4
score_win 6
Alternatively, from the base of ladle settings; good for making a closed fort server public on-the-fly with /admin commands:

Code: Select all

rinclude ladle/ladle49.cfg(http://crazy-tronners.com/resource/ladle/ladle49.cfg)
# These are ladle settings aka non public fort. Now to make 'em public: 

default_shout_spectator 1    # Spectators can chat
access_level_play 20         # Everyone can play
auto_team 1                  # Everyone will join automatically
team_max_imbalance 1         # Players will be evenly distributed to teams

team_max_players 9           # optional: more people in a team, adjust number to your needs
fortress_defend_rate 0.2     # optional: 2v2 ganks DO conquer the zone; default (also known as "pickup style") behaviour
To mess with conquest settings, see epsy's topic about these; as well as the comparison "default" vs "ladle".

Of course, from here, you can add whatever you want because it's your own server, don't just clone stuff unless you really really want to! :)

Edit: added some stuff I missed, whoops
Last edited by vov on Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Light »

Well, I don't actually play fortress at the moment. I was thinking of starting, but as of now I really ain't familiar with the settings at all. I'm a DF player. That's why I offered if the settings were created for me because I ain't really sure.

Once I get to know the settings and how everything's played correctly, I could do extra stuff like creating scripts and whatnot.
vov
Match Winner

Post by vov »

Whether you want to try fortress and/or the settings is still your decision of course! If you have a server you can do whatever you want. If you want to switch around between setups, create .cfg files for them in the folder where the others are, e.g make dogfight.cfg (where you put your DF settings) and fort.cfg (where you put the fort settings of your choice).
Then, you can quick switch your server to fort using "/admin include fort.cfg" while you play, or start it up with DF as default by simply writing "include dogfight.cfg" into your settings_custom.cfg file.

Plus, you can use the settings for local play or LAN too without even needing an internet connection; to mess around with them, or try how they feel, or playing with friends over LAN respectively. The "include stuff.cfg" command does work on clients' consoles too, with the .cfg file in the client's settings folder. Good for testing changes you may want to make without starting a server every time ;)

The fort settings are for everyone who wants a public fort server btw, don't just lazily rinclude ladles.
Hoax
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Hoax »

Pretty sad that this has to even be considered
as long as the people who go to start games don't end up sitting in irc waiting for others to do the same :lol:

Since there is pickup, 'public' servers should be as 'open' as possible. Nothing has stepped up to replace MB's
Core Dumper

Post by 0000 »

I don't see a problem with promoting pickup in public servers. I encourage it in mine. That is how casual players learn about pickup.

I'll consider putting a larger capacity fortress server up.
Core Dumper

Post by 0000 »

Sorry, double posted..
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

I've just put up a completely open server hosted in the North of England. Should be pretty decent.

Also, cheap EU arma hosting coming soon!
Goodygumdrops
Round Winner

Post by Goodygumdrops »

sinewav wrote:This is not to say I want to ruin pickup games by driving people to public Fort (won't happen).
:roll:

Stuff I have to say.
The once and future "I told you so."
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Goodygumdrops wrote:
sinewav wrote:This is not to say I want to ruin pickup games by driving people to public Fort (won't happen).

Stuff I have to say.
Do it, tough guy. Take your best shot.
Goodygumdrops
Round Winner

Post by Goodygumdrops »

sinewav wrote:
Goodygumdrops wrote:

Stuff I have to say.
Do it, tough guy. Take your best shot.
What is it that you want me to do exactly?
The once and future "I told you so."