Tron activity

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Re: Tron activity

Post by sinewav »

Word wrote:hm, why not advertise tron in LoL while they're there ><
Brilliant.
Magi
Match Winner

Post by Magi »

compguygene wrote: What's wrong with ID TeamSumo? People have played in it and had no problems. The only problem there is it is mostly unused. According to logs it gets used about a half a dozen times a month.
I've noticed that once the ID teamsumo server gets around 10 people in it playing it lags really hard for me, not sure if that's why other people don't play there as much but could be. Also I played in the Fort Cafe server today, seemed really good, no problems.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

bye
-*inS*-
Round Winner

Post by -*inS*- »

Desolate wrote:League of Legends too addicting :D
Kijutsu wrote:You should try it, Lucas. <3
huehuehuehuehuehuehue
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

Magi wrote:
compguygene wrote: What's wrong with ID TeamSumo? People have played in it and had no problems. The only problem there is it is mostly unused. According to logs it gets used about a half a dozen times a month.
I've noticed that once the ID teamsumo server gets around 10 people in it playing it lags really hard for me, not sure if that's why other people don't play there as much but could be. Also I played in the Fort Cafe server today, seemed really good, no problems.
Thank you for letting me know, nobody has communicated this to me. I will adjust how the server is hosted.

Edit: I just changed some things on the server that the ID TeamSumo server is hosted on. Only ID TeamSumo and ID SumoXpress are now hosted there. I have almost never seen both servers active at the same time.
I am asking that those of you that want a decent TeamSumo server, please test this. Get more than 10 people in it. Please do understand that I have never seen a TeamSumo server that with 12 players doesn't lag just a little. If it starts lagging when the 11'th person comes, I will completely redo the hosting server, same as I did with the server that Fortress Cafe is hosted on.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
Outside Corner Grinder

Post by 2020 »

good points by all
but word's seems quite definitive
Word wrote:1) many people of my age are busy with their exams, or university (some even have to take care of a baby). that's why PRU is taking a nap. Most new players are 14 or older but I have a feeling that we young adults used to be the majority and most of us currently have to make the decisions that we'll regret for the rest of our lives. :)

2) there's no mega fort server anymore (DS's, G5's, MB's)

3) there's no free-for-all fort server anymore, like Fort Cafe or our humble attempt, OpenFortress (not sure what happened to it, Ai can maybe bring it back if you ask him - I don't mind if it's under SP's flag).

4) as you said, it's summer.

5) ideally the tutorials and improvements from 0.4 on should attract and keep more people than previous versions, because they make it much easier to access.

I'd normally say that "less pickups" would be something positive, because it doesn't disrupt ongoing fort games. Then again, there aren't any other ongoing fort games anymore.
As far as I can tell, things have to move on. The game is timeless, future-proof, much like Go or chess. What needs to evolve is the social element around it.

The step to ladle was a big one, and the wave has lasted for years, but the consequence was that there are players who can play fortress, and those that can't and big gap between. We saw this years ago.

With respect to new players in random fortress games, there are additional hurdles like authentication, or backroom organisation for pickup. We saw these back then, and again players end up playing together and isolating themselves.

Basically, evolution needs to occur not at the game level, not at the player competition level, but at the community level.

I'm here for three reasons, and i will cover them in another post so not as to hijack this one, though the material is quite closely related (and I hope there's a little protection from moderators from any trolling).
hold the line
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

2020 wrote:The game is timeless, future-proof....
Would you have said that before Fortress and all the other "special game modes" were shoved into this game, or in response to someone lamenting the addition of Fortress, et al? I think not.
Basically, evolution needs to occur not at the game level, not at the player competition level, but at the community level.
Sure. We can begin with people like you acknowledging that Fortress isn't the be-all, end-all of this game (let alone a saviour of humanity :roll: ).
I hope there's a little protection from moderators from any trolling
Translation: "No one is allowed to disagree with me!" And if you get the moderators to prevent anyone from disagreeing with you, you get to believe that everyone agrees with you. Such privilege. So effete.

After your last round of whining, I was reminded that we've seen something along these lines from you before: http://forums3.armagetronad.net/viewtop ... =2&t=19809.
gawdzilla, aka Liz, aka your phony ally Kijutsu wrote:Phytotron is right about you.
:lol:
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

Ok, several of you have lamented the lack of megafortress servers. Please read this post about 3 new MegaFortress Servers.
Lackadaisical
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Lackadaisical »

The lack of activity is not caused by a lack of servers and we don't need money to increase activity either (see 2020s topic). All we really need is to be active ourselves.

Personally I think the best way to get more people to join the fort community is to play a lot of fort. I sincerely believe we could make 10+ new players join actively in the fort community within a month if every person active in the ladle does the following:

1. Play in public fort as much as possible
  2. Avoid crowding one server (join a new server when 10+ people are already occupying the same one)
  3. Don't be a dick

Sure you'll play a lot of sucky small games with (relatively) many noobs, but this is imho necessary for growth. Do it for love of the game.
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

Lackadaisical wrote:The lack of activity is not caused by a lack of servers and we don't need money to increase activity either (see 2020s topic). All we really need is to be active ourselves.

Personally I think the best way to get more people to join the fort community is to play a lot of fort. I sincerely believe we could make 10+ new players join actively in the fort community within a month if every person active in the ladle does the following:

2. Avoid crowding one server (join a new server when 10+ people are already occupying the same one)
  3. Don't be a dick

Sure you'll play a lot of sucky small games with (relatively) many noobs, but this is imho necessary for growth. Do it for love of the game.
QFT

The only reason I put up the MegaFortress servers and Fortress Cafe is in the hopes that people will play more public Fortress. Lacka is right,.of course.
Fippmam
Round Winner

Post by Fippmam »

Lackadaisical wrote:The lack of activity is not caused by a lack of servers and we don't need money to increase activity either (see 2020s topic). All we really need is to be active ourselves.

3. Don't be a dick

+1

It's really sad when a new player gets kicked for not grinding or whatever. It's even worse because you know he probably won't be coming back to that server/game-mode.
Core Dumper

Post by 0000 »

The biggest barrier for entry in fortress is the grind. Period. If it weren't for the grind, anyone could jump into a server and start playing fortress without the risk of messing up the team.

Let's set up a map where the members spawn far apart from each other so that grinding isn't completely necessary. Put position #1 next to the zone so that the defender remains constant as players join the team.Then even brand new players can play fortress without the threat and intimidation of being kicked.

This would allow brand new players to play in the same games as our big name players and "grow up" in that environment it they so choose. There are people that have been playing armagetron for years and don't even know who our great players are because they are immediately kicked if they attempt to play with them.

Would people be willing to sometimes play in a server without the grind in order to make the game more accessible?
Hoax
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Hoax »

Over the years there's always been 'go to' servers (whether or not that is a good thing), what are they now? Less active players still check the server browser if they aren't playing but won't join an empty server especially if they don't know where to go
Stable EU and USA "MegaFortress" servers are needed with identical settings that are always up and actively looked after.
Compguy is running two & unk fort is still around so I champion these for the time being

*Post unrelated to any new player discussion * Apart from that Lack's point 1 & 3 can easily be done but 2 will need help I feel. And no 'noob' servers as integration is key. Also there's pickup for 'proper' games
Goodygumdrops
Round Winner

Post by Goodygumdrops »

Lackadaisical wrote:
  3. Don't be a dick

The fort community is basically built around ignoring your third point, especially vis a vis n00bs and not grinding. I used to just autopilot vote-for any kick polls, but I've been doing the opposite the last year or so.
Hoax wrote: Also there's pickup for 'proper' games
Maybe I am not seeing all the pickup servers, but since the biggest fort games I see there are 6v6, they're nothing but a 'proper' waste of time.
The once and future "I told you so."
Hoax
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Hoax »

"competitive" then
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

He's just being British slangy when he says "proper."