Good news everyone!

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Re: Good news everyone!

Post by Tank Program »

Yes well, Armagetron is a bit static. Sitting in the front of the PC, etc. I'm ever reminded of Majination playing with a pencil between his teeth. As that's a bit difficult for most folks, we now have arm waving lunatic goodness. And coins and pipes and dungeons. And the Wiimote rumbles when you run over a Goomba! Much more dynamic!
Cody wrote:I'm still waiting on the New AI's
That's actually pretty tricky. But it has been added in.
Attachments
fail.png
gLatis.cpp
(11.34 KiB) Downloaded 119 times
gLatis.h
(3.03 KiB) Downloaded 123 times
Mkay1
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Mkay1 »

was my comment removed? :(

Removed to keep the spirit and added back in later.
Desolate
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Desolate »

lol :) this is great, congratulations on your hard work tank! and thank you for sharing this amazing information with us!
INW
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by INW »

APRIL FOOLS!

Removed to keep the spirit and added back in later.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Phytotron wrote:Terrible. Just what this game needs, another gimmicky game mode, now with damn power-ups. And, what, is Mario going to be shooting zones or something? Jumping cycles at last, pff. Ruining two classics! All because kids can neither be satisfied playing one or the other in its own right, nor can they be creative in coming up with a new concept. Just shove two existing games together, and voilà, new game. What the hell. I can't believe you.

Seriously, to hell with this, I'm quitting. This is going too far.
I'm quitting, too. I'm sorry you wasted your time on this, Tank.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Misery
Round Winner

Post by Misery »

Nice try, Tank... But I'll still give you a cookie for your effort. :P

Edit: HAHAHAHA! Just saw the video, too!
"Music can name the unnameable and communicate the unknowable."
~Leonard Bernstein
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

I suppose I'll call it a bust and admit this was April Fool's.

But I will point out that the code for gLatis does more or less work. I've only managed to hack it into the game though as at the time I couldn't figure out how to implement it properly. Once that issue's gone though it'd be a fully functioning self learning (but probably not very well) bot. I only actually got around to writing it well after April last year. It's sort of been sitting around waiting to be finished...

A bit dissapointing that no one's found the potential second April Fool's I left in place. Oh well. I'll put all the posts people made revealing that this was a joke back in.

Hmm yes - actual reason for dissapearance. As part of my PhD I had the chance to move to Germany and work in R&D for a year. The move happened about 6 months ago and was a bit rough, then there was a bit of culture shock, etc. I've only sort of recently felt I could handle the forums again. So anyway, back now to stay I hope.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

And I thought you were gone just as a setup for this joke!
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

Alas! That would have been too clever, even for me. It does remind me that I should start planning next year's though... Got to get something good worked out early so there's plenty of time to execute. This year was uncharacteristically early even for me and I think that worked out well. I got the video exactly how I wanted it while I had the time to do so. Then I realized yesterday morning that a GWiiWii website would have been a good idea. Too late then though.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

You should relocate all those posts you removed to the end of the thread, so the flow is right.
Jonathan wrote:Hey Tank! :D I'm glad you finally overhauled fortress to show that fortress isn't this Immutable Set Of Settings That Nobody May Alter. Making it single-player was just brilliant.
Better fortress for sure.
Z-Man wrote:And I thought you were gone just as a setup for this joke!
I was sort of wondering that, too, heh—although more whether, and for how long, he delayed his return to the forum so it could be on April 1st.

And for the record, folks, I sent Tank a PM saying I was going to play along just prior to making my post. :)
Tank Program wrote:Then I realized yesterday morning that a GWiiWii website would have been a good idea.
Googling GWiiWii produces some odd results.

Didn't you make an SMB (I think 3) moviepack, Tank? Some other guy did, too, but it's a dead link now. There's also a GLTron artpack with a SMW theme. But I thought I recalled you making one. I'd dig in my old HD, removed and made external, but I've been having troubles with it. :x

I guess nobody fell for my fake b-day announcement, but unlikely it would work two years in a row. Plus, made it 42 so it'd be more obvious.
Mkay1
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Mkay1 »

I'm an asshat. <(|>~
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

Phytotron wrote:Googling GWiiWii produces some odd results.
Hmm, didn't even think to check that. It's showing the Mariogetron video as about the 5th result for me now. I was just tickled that the name rhymed with GCC - or at least it does how I pronounce it.
Phytotron wrote:Didn't you make an SMB (I think 3) moviepack, Tank? Some other guy did, too, but it's a dead link now. There's also a GLTron artpack with a SMW theme. But I thought I recalled you making one. I'd dig in my old HD, removed and made external, but I've been having troubles with it. :x
I must admit that if I made a SMB moviepack I have zero recollection. In fact I don't recall ever making anything other than moviesounds. I did nearly do a PHPBB Mario theme, but decided against it in the end. It didn't seem to quite fit.
dreadlord
Match Winner

Post by dreadlord »

Tank Program wrote:Hmm yes - actual reason for dissapearance. As part of my PhD I had the chance to move to Germany and work in R&D for a year. The move happened about 6 months ago and was a bit rough, then there was a bit of culture shock, etc. I've only sort of recently felt I could handle the forums again. So anyway, back now to stay I hope.
What did you have to do for R&D? According to their website there are two divisions, Biotechnology and Hermatology, but I am interested in what exactly your job there was. To avoid the culture shock you could have contacted some of us German tronners, I think we would not have had any problem with helping you. Did you work in Wiesbaden?
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

dreadlord wrote:What did you have to do for R&D? According to their website there are two divisions, Biotechnology and Hermatology, but I am interested in what exactly your job there was. To avoid the culture shock you could have contacted some of us German tronners, I think we would not have had any problem with helping you. Did you work in Wiesbaden?
Oops, tiny misunderstanding. To say I work in R&D is to say that I'm working in the research and development department of a company which I have not named. As to what I do, it's varied. I'm here participating in an interdisciplinary interinstitution project so it's really very flexible. As a result I fall somewhat outside the regular corporate hierachy - the work I'm doing is entirely project related. A big chunk of it is technical. Finding out about equipment, setting up equipment, programming equipment. I do some tests and analyze data then write up reports. I try and come up with new ideas and tie it into my PhD research. I'm not sure if there's a really good way to explain it all.

I think the culture shock was unavoidable. The company I work for has really long working hours - 7:30 to 17:00 Monday to Thursday, 7:30-14:00 Friday, which was a departure. I also have to bike to work, about 3 km each way. Including when it was -20C out. I needed to get used to doing the shopping in German, get used to DB, build up confidence dealing with people in another language where I don't really speak German and they don't really speak English. I needed to get internet ordered and installed (that took time!) and sort out my residence permit (even more time!). Fortuantely at least getting a room to live in was easy, but it was still a lot of little things to overcome and get used it. I was just feeling so tired at the end of the day and all of this was coming into Autumn, so there wasn't a lot of daylight to make things happier.

Just to be clear - I'm still in Germany for another 6 months or so. I should have more advance notice when I leave then getting here so hopefully I'll dissapear for less time next time.

Also, don't let me paint a picture of doom and gloom. Everyone I've dealt with has been friendly and overall it's been a pretty good experience. As the weather gets nicer I'll start doing more exploring, visiting museums, etc., to take full advantage of my location. Who knows? Maybe meeting up with German tronners is a possibility. :)
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

Come to Cologne, then you can drink tea with Z-Man, Pre and me 8)
get used to DB
If you're talking about the Bahn, I know how difficult that is...