Mb53's server: changes and improvement

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
Gonzap
Shutout Match Winner

Mb53's server: changes and improvement

Post by Gonzap »

Hello everybody, I want to tell you guys/girls a few changes on the server rules and settings which I think will lead to improvement, or at least I hope so.

Authentication will no longer be required to play. Remember to TEACH the new players how to play. In extreme cases suspend, never kick.

Authentication will not be forced but it will carry some benefits like shuffling up allowed for all auth'd players (dlh's idea). We (admins & moderators) will strongly act against any kind of shuffle wars. More than 2 shuffles to the same position in the same round will carry a suspension, for both players doing it. Also remember that you will be allowed to shuffle up ONLY if the player upon you swaps with you. For example, position 1 shuffles to 4 and 4 shuffles to 1. Not just pos 4 shuffles to 1 because that does affect pos 2 and 3 too.

Thank you for reading and enjoy! :D
Jip
Round Winner

Re: Mb53's server: changes and improvement

Post by Jip »

Any volunteers for writing nice help topics for the /rtfm /teach command?
Gonzap
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Gonzap »

with my english skills better no lol
fingerbib
Core Dumper

Post by fingerbib »

Jip wrote:Any volunteers for writing nice help topics for the /rtfm /teach command?
I'm pretty sure I did some of these already for the unk server. I'll have a look for them tomorrow.
he said.
Jip
Round Winner

Post by Jip »

Oh really? I will search our settings archives also then.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

Jip wrote:Any volunteers for writing nice help topics for the /rtfm /teach command?
dread and I are doing that too. we can PM you that stuff
Jip
Round Winner

Post by Jip »

Word wrote:dread and I are doing that too. we can PM you that stuff
Thanks! But it is easier when you PM that to kyle. I am not able to change any files on that server.
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

Yes PM it to me or just post it here. I mean having them public for anyone to read/use is better in my opinion.
fingerbib
Core Dumper

Post by fingerbib »

ADD_HELP_TOPIC grinding "Grinding" "Grinding is done immediately after the start of the round. Each player moves as close to the centre player's wall as possible. This will give you more speed and help protect your team from centre attacks."

ADD_HELP_TOPIC split "Splitting" "After you grind you will need to split. Splitting is turning away from your teammates' walls to block the other team's attackers. If you split too late you will kill your teammates who need to turn the same way as you."

ADD_HELP_TOPIC objective "Game objective" "The objective of Fortress is to conquer the other team's zone and protect your own. To conquer the other team's zone you will need to get inside it, and stay alive long enough for the zone to collapse. The more of your team that are in the zone, the quicker it will collapse."

ADD_HELP_TOPIC team kills "Team kills" "A team kill (or tk) is when you kill a member of your own team."

ADD_HELP_TOPIC sweeping "Sweeping" "Sweeping is keeping enemy players away from your defense."

That's as far as I ever got. 'Splitting' in particular needs complete rephrasing.
he said.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

"What does grinding mean? ... What do you mean get close to the wall? Like this?"

"OMG TK NOOBFAG KICK KICK"

That is, you may want to be clearer and more precise about that.
fingerbib
Core Dumper

Post by fingerbib »

Phytotron wrote:"What does grinding mean? ... What do you mean get close to the wall? Like this?"

"OMG TK NOOBFAG KICK KICK"

That is, you may want to be clearer and more precise about that.
Sadly you're probably right. I was trying to keep the words to a minimum for non-english speakers but I guess that one is not as clear as it could be either. They're all available to use/edit/ignore as much as anyone sees fit, I don't have the time to sort them out properly right now.
he said.
theroze
Match Winner

Post by theroze »

How many out of 10 newcomers are actually reading the /help topics, know how to scroll up and knows what the other "pros" are talking about? "Grind noob", "omg he tkd me stop tking" "stop ******* our zone". I, for one, when I started playing fortress it was more like I had no clue what others were talking about, but with time I got some knowledge about the physics and the gamplay. A question at the regular fort players in here: How did you learn to play fortress? With the help topics or rather on your own?
apparition wrote:You being able to kill so many players that quickly and efficiently is evidence that the community skill level must be dropping... Sad :/
Reigning champion of: Sir-spam-a-lot 2011
THEred
Core Dumper

Post by THEred »

watching people.

Your message contains 16 characters. The minimum number of characters you need to enter is 21.
red
milan
Average Program

Post by milan »

Watching others play and reading help topics. When you realize you are not doing things right, and that is rather early, cos everyone is shouting at you, and someone tells you to read help, you will do it if you are not a moron, so these will help a lot.
Jip
Round Winner

Post by Jip »

theroze wrote:How many out of 10 newcomers are actually reading the /help topics, know how to scroll up and knows what the other "pros" are talking about? "Grind noob", "omg he tkd me stop tking" "stop ******* our zone". I, for one, when I started playing fortress it was more like I had no clue what others were talking about, but with time I got some knowledge about the physics and the gamplay. A question at the regular fort players in here: How did you learn to play fortress? With the help topics or rather on your own?
When I do:

Code: Select all

/teach theroze grinding
Will display the help message for you.

It can be helpful to have them, nothing wrong with it.