Mb53's server: changes and improvement

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
Mkay1
Shutout Match Winner

Re: Mb53's server: changes and improvement

Post by Mkay1 »

Garisimo taught me <3
Cronix
Match Winner

Post by Cronix »

theroze wrote:How many out of 10 newcomers are actually reading the /help topics, know how to scroll up and knows what the other "pros" are talking about? "Grind noob", "omg he tkd me stop tking" "stop ******* our zone". I, for one, when I started playing fortress it was more like I had no clue what others were talking about, but with time I got some knowledge about the physics and the gamplay. A question at the regular fort players in here: How did you learn to play fortress? With the help topics or rather on your own?

this one of my friends, you know him, taught me with skype :)
Signature? wtf...
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

I honestly think that removing auth doesn't improve anything when you leave auto_team set to 0.
INW
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by INW »

Word wrote:I honestly think that removing auth doesn't improve anything when you leave auto_team set to 0.
Great point.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

At least you don't have to send players away to get an account on some forum.
AI-team
Shutout Match Winner

Post by AI-team »

INW wrote:
Word wrote:I honestly think that removing auth doesn't improve anything when you leave auto_team set to 0.
Great point.
I agree

"95% of people believe in every quote you post on the internet" ~ Abraham Lincoln

Titanoboa

Post by Titanoboa »

AI-team wrote:
INW wrote:
Great point.
I agree
I disagree.
The interested newcomer is gonna ask how he can join or at least complain about not playing. It's better to teach him how to join a team than how to register on these forums and then logging in. (Basically exactly what Z-man said ^^)
AI-team
Shutout Match Winner

Post by AI-team »

But for newcomers even the smallest hurdle is a hard task :wink:

"95% of people believe in every quote you post on the internet" ~ Abraham Lincoln

Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

well, the whole point of the debate was to attract more players to fortress and generate this interest. As long as the majority of players aren't 'interested newcomers' who have the time or like to be taught there won't be more growth compared to what we are currently used to. most of us didn't have to deal with all these limits when they played in DS Mega Fort or Fort Cafe for the first time and never made this experience because we all knew how auth worked from the start. Just because someone hates to register somewhere to play a game doesn't make him 'uninterested'.
þsy
Match Winner

Post by þsy »

Yeah I agree with the general consensus here, it seems silly to not have automatic joining on if we've removed compulsory authentication. I often forget to join first round too which is very annoying :lol:

What are your thoughts MB53? Would you be happy to change this as well?
matchbox53
Round Winner

Post by matchbox53 »

I am with Titan what he said and to add further more that sometimes players don't like joining the game instantly so it gives them the time to spec instead of joining the game and then die while others grind.
INW

Post by INW »

Isn't it better to give a newcomer the easiest way to start playing the game?

Stop throwing bricks at him and make it is easy as possible to start playing.

You learn more from actually playing than you ever will just watching.

Some new players don't even know the chat key, so how is he going to ask? I never knew what the chat key was until a few days after I started playing.
matchbox53
Round Winner

Post by matchbox53 »

INW wrote:Isn't it better to give a newcomer the easiest way to start playing the game?

Stop throwing bricks at him and make it is easy as possible to start playing.

You learn more from actually playing than you ever will just watching.

Some new players don't even know the chat key, so how is he going to ask? I never knew what the chat key was until a few days after I started playing.

We already gave the newcomers an easy ticket to join i dont see why the big fuzz from you regarding it .

2nd of all we are not throwing bricks or w.e other means they also have to be a bit smart and get used to this the modern technnologies as i said before i am quite sure i cant please everyone and all i hope is for the most.

3rd who said i was talking about newbies regarding "You learn more from actually playing than you ever will just watching." i meant that sometimes players would prefer to spec for some rounds instead of joining right away i have seen people asking for that too to keep it.

4th if some of the new players dont know how to use chat key oh well this is not school sometimes they need to figure out what to do by different means.

What is funny is that you guys keep asking about things that are minor issues the real objective is that how can we make those type of people understand or blend in well with the client that what matters mostly and surely also the game.
INW

Post by INW »

I'm sorry but can someone translate that to American for me?
Titanoboa

Post by Titanoboa »

Are you being condescending on purpose? :( I can understand him just fine.