Kick Vote Abuse

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
Post Reply
iRock
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:57 pm

Kick Vote Abuse

Post by iRock »

I know I am gonna get trolled posting this, but I want to bring to attention the abuse that happens with the Kick Vote.

I was playing in the Mega Fort server, when I suddenly a suspension vote was cast upon me. The reason? I was AFK for about...half a round.
Although everyone there would say I was AFK for every round, even though I said something in the chat almost every round.
I then accidentally killed one of my own teammates, because I pressed the wrong key. It happens to everyone. I tried to explain this but nobody was listening. Why?
They were all kick voting me. The reason...I never really got a reason. I think it was because I was, in their words, I was AFK every round which is not true. I was chatting almost every round. So I cannot be AFK can I?

The big problem I see is the so-called "Experts" who kick noobs who get in their way. If the "Experts" keep kicking noobs, then we will have no new players, and this game will die out.

I think it is of interest to the developers to maybe replace the kick vote with some bot on the servers that auto-kicks players that have trolled, or are team-killers. I have seen more wrong done with the kick-vote then good.

Yeah, I know people here will flame me. They will call me a stupid noob, or worse. They already did in the Mega Fort server. But if you think that will prove your point, think again.

iRock (PiN)

User avatar
INW
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Posts: 1950
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:10 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC, USA

Re: Kick Vote Abuse

Post by INW »


User avatar
sinewav
Graphic Artist
Posts: 6303
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:37 am
Contact:

Re: Kick Vote Abuse

Post by sinewav »

iRock wrote:If the "Experts" keep kicking noobs, then we will have no new players, and this game will die out.
You'd think that, but after years of "abuse" we somehow have more Fortress players than ever. Don't let it get to you man. Just keep playing Arma and get good and soon you'll be an "expert."

:wink: See you otg.

User avatar
Nelhybel
Round Winner
Posts: 231
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:51 pm

Re: Kick Vote Abuse

Post by Nelhybel »

Hello PiN!

There are differing opinions regarding if this kick voting actually expands the size of the "elite community". On one hand, Sine is right - people have always treated "noobs" in this manner, and it has increased the size of the fortress playing community over time. However, if this method of treatment were not followed, would we have an even larger community than we do now? It is difficult to be sure.

In any case, the forums community has, for whatever reason, verbally elected that this not be a place for "complaints". Fortunately, the uNa forums provide a complaints page where your issues can be addressed by a community that is accepting of noobs and pros alike. Feel free to take complaints there in the future if you continue to experience problems.

Happy tronning!
Feel free to contact me here or on the grid if you would like assistance or support in beginning a relationship with Jesus Christ.
---
uNa| United Noobs of Armagetron Forums
-=}ID< Immortal Dynasty Forums
_~`Ww_ Wild West Forums

Goodygumdrops
Round Winner
Posts: 245
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:39 am

Re: Kick Vote Abuse

Post by Goodygumdrops »

iRock wrote:I know I am gonna get trolled posting this, but I want to bring to attention the abuse that happens with the Kick Vote.

I was playing in the Mega Fort server, when I suddenly a suspension vote was cast upon me. The reason? I was AFK for about...half a round.
Although everyone there would say I was AFK for every round, even though I said something in the chat almost every round.
I then accidentally killed one of my own teammates, because I pressed the wrong key. It happens to everyone. I tried to explain this but nobody was listening. Why?
They were all kick voting me. The reason...I never really got a reason. I think it was because I was, in their words, I was AFK every round which is not true. I was chatting almost every round. So I cannot be AFK can I?

The big problem I see is the so-called "Experts" who kick noobs who get in their way. If the "Experts" keep kicking noobs, then we will have no new players, and this game will die out.

I think it is of interest to the developers to maybe replace the kick vote with some bot on the servers that auto-kicks players that have trolled, or are team-killers. I have seen more wrong done with the kick-vote then good.

Yeah, I know people here will flame me. They will call me a stupid noob, or worse. They already did in the Mega Fort server. But if you think that will prove your point, think again.

iRock (PiN)
I'm truly not sure what you have to complain about. You say you couldn't have been afk because you were chatting every round. Maybe your teammates didn't appreciate having a chat bot on their team? Maybe your opponents didn't appreciate playing against a chat bot? If you want to chat, spec. It's true, a lot of us (including me) sometimes chat during fort games, but if I was doing that and got suspend-voted I'd know why.
The once and future "I told you so."

User avatar
Mecca
Match Winner
Posts: 795
Joined: Sun May 02, 2004 7:38 pm
Location: I dont know...Im lost

Re: Kick Vote Abuse

Post by Mecca »

iRock wrote:The big problem I see is the so-called "Experts" who kick noobs who get in their way. If the "Experts" keep kicking noobs, then we will have no new players, and this game will die out.
There is a reason why this game has such a small community.
Image

User avatar
sinewav
Graphic Artist
Posts: 6303
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:37 am
Contact:

Re: Kick Vote Abuse

Post by sinewav »

Mecca wrote:There is a reason why this game has such a small community.
Oh yeah? What is it?

User avatar
Desolate
Shutout Match Winner
Posts: 1001
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:31 pm
Location: Probably golfing

Re: Kick Vote Abuse

Post by Desolate »

If someone was truly interested in the game and had fun playing it, they would deal with kicking, suspending, trolling from others. I'm pretty sure most of us have been through it when first playing fort.

User avatar
teen
Round Winner
Posts: 390
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 2:27 am

Re: Kick Vote Abuse

Post by teen »

iRock wrote: "Experts"
iRock (PiN)
Awww you are too kind.
Image

User avatar
Kijutsu
Match Winner
Posts: 676
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:37 pm

Re: Kick Vote Abuse

Post by Kijutsu »

don't go in chatbot so much, n00b

- expert

THEred
Core Dumper
Posts: 152
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:04 am

Re: Kick Vote Abuse

Post by THEred »

it happens.
but I have a feeling (as I was there when this happened) that you you didnt just tk someone once (or cause the death of a teammate inadvertently) which led to the eventual poll. It may have been accidental, or it may not.. hence the poll
red

User avatar
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Posts: 5041
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:06 pm
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.
Contact:

Re: Kick Vote Abuse

Post by Phytotron »

iRock wrote:I think it is of interest to the developers to maybe replace the kick vote with some bot on the servers that auto-kicks players that have trolled, or are team-killers.
Er, I don't think any such thing would be possible. That would require some pretty sophisticated AI. Better bet, get in touch with the Admin about tweaking the kick vote settings so they're not so easily overused or abused.

Also, with respect to chatbots, again, contact the Admin and have him change:

Code: Select all

CHATTER_REMOVE_TIME
IDLE_REMOVE_TIME
IDLE_KICK_TIME
"Remove" sends them to spectator; it doesn't kick. In my servers I've set the first two to 30 seconds, and the last one to, um, I think 5-10 minutes.
Desolate wrote:If someone was truly interested in the game and had fun playing it, they would deal with kicking, suspending, trolling from others.
That's a bunch of crap. "If you really want to be cool, you'll take our hazing." Another good reason to not play Fortress.

User avatar
Mecca
Match Winner
Posts: 795
Joined: Sun May 02, 2004 7:38 pm
Location: I dont know...Im lost

Re: Kick Vote Abuse

Post by Mecca »

Phytotron wrote:
Desolate wrote:If someone was truly interested in the game and had fun playing it, they would deal with kicking, suspending, trolling from others.
That's a bunch of crap. "If you really want to be cool, you'll take our hazing."
+1
Image

User avatar
Clu42
On Lightcycle Grid
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:23 pm

Re: Kick Vote Abuse

Post by Clu42 »

Mecca wrote:
Phytotron wrote:
Desolate wrote:If someone was truly interested in the game and had fun playing it, they would deal with kicking, suspending, trolling from others.
That's a bunch of crap. "If you really want to be cool, you'll take our hazing."
+1
+1

Post Reply