Operating System Survey 2011

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...

What Operating System are you actively playing/hosting Armagetron Advanced on?

Poll ended at Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:43 am

Windows 7/Vista/XP
44%
OS X (Tiger and up)
21%
(K/X)Ubuntu
18%
Fedora Linux
2%
Debian Linux
9%
Gentoo Linux
2%
Slackware Linux
1%
Other .deb based Linux (post which)
1%
Other .rpm based Linux (post which)
No votes
other (please post details)
3%

Total votes: 108

Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Operating System Survey 2011

Post by Z-Man »

If you're on a Linux that can't run i386 code, select 'other' and post what you're running, please. Also if your package preference is 'I build from source anyway'.
Triple voting allowed for dual-booters and people who host servers on different systems they play on. You don't need to pick three options.
Clarification: only vote for the systems you're actively using. For example, while I do have Windows installations and a Mac readily available, I'm unlikely to play AA on them, so I wouldn't pick them.

Yeah, we got download stats, to milk already, but this is about what active community members who are more likely to report bugs (properly) are using. Focus is on the different build types we may need to provide both for full releases and for development snapshots we want tested, that's why I don't care about the precise Windows or OSX version, they all swallow the same installers (Well, I do care, but there's the 10 poll option limit). The various Linuxes... not so much. And no, I haven't forgotten about the BSDs.

Main trigger for this poll was the automatic build discussion in Vitty's crash report thread and the realization that Autopackage died and no proper replacement for it is in sight :( It's still working for possible 0.2.8 based builds, but on Trunk we need to look for alternatives. And going back to building the various distribution specific packages is one of the possibilities.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Re: Operating System Survey 2011

Post by Phytotron »

Perhaps not OSX version, but do you need to differentiate between PPC (even G#) and Intel Macs? I'm running into more and more applications these days that are Intel-only, quite annoyingly (and I'm hoping Arma doesn't go that route).
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

I run the client on Archlinux. (Not aware of any patch being applied to it, so it might as well be built from source)
Most of the servers I've been administering ran ubuntu.

What I feel we really need is an OSX developer though. Without one we _have_ to drop OSX support or the whole project will die.
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

epsy wrote:What I feel we really need is an OSX developer though. Without one we _have_ to drop OSX support or the whole project will die.
Uh… expand on this. Do we not have an OS X developer because I haven't added OS X support to your cmake branch? Even if the OS X side of the project was unmaintained (it's not), why would the entire project die?
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

I may not play often, but generally it ends up being on my Macbook over a holiday... And I suppose I do compile from source quite a bit as well. (Forgot to select 'other' though and it won't let me go back and edit... Oops.)
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Phytotron wrote:Perhaps not OSX version, but do you need to differentiate between PPC (even G#) and Intel Macs? I'm running into more and more applications these days that are Intel-only, quite annoyingly (and I'm hoping Arma doesn't go that route).
No worries, for now that's not a question we're asking, our builds are going to be universal for the foreseeable future. We'll think about dropping PPC when it gets more than just a little inconvenient to support (right now, it's just the added time builds take), and there will be a new, dedicated poll then. Our own Mac is PPC, so expect some bias towards keeping support.

And yeah, dhl is currently our most active regular developer, so no bickering, please.
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

Xcode 4 already dropped PPC though. :(
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

I certainly can't see me installing that, then :)
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Double post because I forgot. dlh, you may want to take a look at this:
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~armagetron ... /lp-upload
It's what I'm using now for the lp uploads, works like a charm without user interaction (provided the default gpg key has no passphrase or the signatures already exist). It should be possible to get it to work on OSX without much trouble. Could use some adaption so you don't have to provide release notes and changelog if it's already set in the release, feel free to hack it to meet your needs.
Mecca
Match Winner

Post by Mecca »

OSX ftw! I am usually running Tron on XP or Windows 7 :/

May expand to KUbuntu soon. o.o
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Just a quick heads up, Autopackage has entered another stage of decay: The site autopackage.org is dead. The distributed .package files download the support code from there when they're run the first time... luckily, they try at least one mirror and that seems to be operational still. But at least one of our dependencies, sdl-image, has also disappeared. The installer can still detect it if it's already on the system, but it can't do anything if it's missing, so the works-out-of-the-box experience is gone. I'll make the PortableApp the default Linux download wherever I can.
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

I dual boot Ubuntu/Windows to run clients, both 64-bit and 32-bit. I host most of my servers on Ubuntu, but I still have one that runs Debian.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
Clu42
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Clu42 »

i installed Ubuntu on my pen drive and that is how i discovered arma. after i decided i didn't like Ubuntu so i deleted it and searched online for arma. i was ecstatic to find it and loved it immediately