ArmagetronAd on Spoon

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
syllabear
Shutout Match Winner

Re: ArmagetronAd on Spoon

Post by syllabear »

syllabear wrote:it just runs my armagetronad.exe... is it supposed to do this?
The Halley's comet of Armagetron.
ps I'm not tokoyami
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Oh, sorry, forgot about that. How can you tell? Does it run 0.3.x for you?
syllabear
Shutout Match Winner

Post by syllabear »

When I click the button on their website to play it, the spoon loading bar appears. When that finishes it opens armagetron (v. 0.2.8.whatever) with all my personalised settings, run in a window as I have it set.
The Halley's comet of Armagetron.
ps I'm not tokoyami
Luke-Jr
Dr Z Level

Post by Luke-Jr »

syllabear wrote:When I click the button on their website to play it, the spoon loading bar appears. When that finishes it opens armagetron (v. 0.2.8.whatever) with all my personalised settings, run in a window as I have it set.
Like he said, it uses the same directory for settings.
Blammer6

Post by Blammer6 »

Hi All,

Happy to answer more questions here. I believe Z-Man answered the question related to the GPL. I've seen some of you mentioning compatibility with other platforms as well. The short answer is that Spoon does have plans to support other non-Windows platforms, but we don't currently have a timeline in place. When we do begin development for additional platform compatibility, Mac OS is first in line.

Also, I looked into moviepacks. Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but they seem to be some sort of plugin, in which case they could be packaged with the game during the virtualization process. If Z-Man wants to roll out the "deluxe edition" in the future, we'll be listening!

Thanks again. Feel free to keep asking questions as I'll be checking in regularly.

-Blake
SPOON
Magic
Core Dumper

Post by Magic »

I havnt had time to try it yet. Does it run faster than the client?
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Magic wrote:Does it run faster than the client?
Possible, but unlikely. It's the same binary, really.
Luke-Jr
Dr Z Level

Post by Luke-Jr »

Blammer6 wrote:Happy to answer more questions here. I believe Z-Man answered the question related to the GPL.
No, the GPL question has not been answered... Specifically, the GPL requires that when you distribute the game (which you have to be doing, or it wouldn't work), you must also include the source code or an offer to get it from you for 3 years. Merely linking to our site does not fulfil this requirement. Also note that the GPL defines "source code" in such a way that it includes the complete build system and compiler (not necessarily the source thereof, but the binaries to build it). Whatever packaging/compilers required to produce Spoon Armagetron must therefore be freely redistributable.

Also, could you comment on whether Spoon might possibly be available as free software itself someday? From what I understand of your business model, a viral free software license (that requires programs using it to be free software also) shouldn't be a problem for you.