Single Binder Player List

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
Rudycantfail
Average Program

Re: Single Binder Player List

Post by Rudycantfail »

single binding ftl, why u guys handicap yourselves is beyond me..
-Just another fortress nerd.
Olive
Match Winner

Post by Olive »

its disadvantage is its advantage.

double binders mostly hit the keys at the same time, single binding is more versatile.

plus, you can re-enter/follow back single binds easier.

if you dont believe me, try it.
Olive a.k.a ZeMu, MoonFlower & chicken.
dariv
Round Winner

Post by dariv »

It's like saying only using one finger for the guitar is an advantage because you concentrate purely on that finger, therefore its timing is likely to be better.

If you practice making a maze with triple binds you can still re-enter it the same. I think it is assumed that triple binders only ever press all three keys at once. >_<
pLxDari - Challenge us!
Olive
Match Winner

Post by Olive »

Olive wrote:if you dont believe me, try it.
Cody <3
Match Winner

Post by Cody <3 »

I think single binders have the advantage.

We have more control over how our tunneling and mazing is done.
Single binding if you get really good at it, you can adjust how big your binds can be or how small you want them to be. Also Since you're focusing on just 2 keys(left & right) I believe you can multitask a lot better, I know when I play, I'm consistently mapping out my surrounding area and making strategies on how to dump my opponent. Something tells me its a lil hard to focus when you have 4-6 other keys to worry about.
NEW 1v1 Sumo SB Tournament SITE
http://1v1sb.weebly.com
gawdzilla
Liz of the many names

Post by gawdzilla »

I don't glance, so I only use 2 more keys than single binders do and it's not like I "worry" or think about these keys because its automatic. I react faster triple binding, but single mazing feels easier.
Rudycantfail
Average Program

Post by Rudycantfail »

Olive wrote:if you dont believe me, try it.
I did try it, and was terrible at it >_<
God gave us 10 fingers for a reason.. to pwn at tron
-Just another fortress nerd.
Gonzap
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Gonzap »

hahahaha rudy :D

how can single binder have an advantage if double binders can single bind too...
Olive
Match Winner

Post by Olive »

ugh not again...

OK, I will rephrase it once more.
Olive wrote:its disadvantage is its advantage.

double binders mostly hit the keys at the same time, single binding is more versatile.

plus, you can re-enter/follow back single binds easier.

if you dont believe me, try it.
AKA

single binding FORCES one to single bind, sounds logical right? With double binds someone who tries to make speed or a small turn usually hits them keys similtaniously. This means double binds have the same width, whereas singles carry more variation. Facing and forcing this variation makes it easier for singlebinders to adapt to different situations, plus, because the first singled-double is usually bigger when u re-enter it, simply hit the keys faster. When you are on the outside of the bulb you can go around it tighter. This is due to the familirasation with variation. One turns at the moment he plans to turn, with double binds people estimate when to hit the second bind. Some double binders go back to singling in these cases, chapeau, best combo. Most dont, boo.
wap
Round Winner

Post by wap »

Olive wrote:single binding FORCES one to single bind, sounds logical right? With double binds someone who tries to make speed or a small turn usually hits them keys similtaniously. This means double binds have the same width, whereas singles carry more variation. Facing and forcing this variation makes it easier for singlebinders to adapt to different situations, plus, because the first singled-double is usually bigger when u re-enter it, simply hit the keys faster. When you are on the outside of the bulb you can go around it tighter. This is due to the familirasation with variation. One turns at the moment he plans to turn, with double binds people estimate when to hit the second bind. Some double binders go back to singling in these cases, chapeau, best combo. Most dont, boo.
It's not like if someone is double or triple binding they press two or three keys at the same time.

Things like: it's easier for singlebinders to adapt to various situations, going around a bulb tighter, etc, that's nonsense in my opinion because multibinders can do this also easily.

It's just what you are used to.
Olive
Match Winner

Post by Olive »

Olive wrote:One turns at the moment he plans to turn, with double binds people estimate when to hit the second bind.
ok.

With single binding you hit the key and u turn, doesn't get much easier.

With double binds its the same. However, you use 2 keys for the same movement, 2 fingers. It's more accurate with 1. I can't provide any sources, I leave the honor to look them up to the one's willing to search.

I do agree that I can never-ever-ever do the so-called triple-maze, (3 times right, 4 times left etc.) as fast as a double binder. Yet in any other situation (for example, when grinding a wall and I need to make a U-turn against the wall being grinded) I face no disadvantage.

Anyways, it took me loads of time to adapt. Some people might never reach the same level single-binded as they do with doubles. I am heavily biased because I grew better when I started to single. But have it your ways, I'll continue to single. It has it's advantages and it's disadvantages, yet with my style of playing the pro's weigh heavier than it's cons.
syllabear
Shutout Match Winner

Post by syllabear »

I think the optimal method is actually the mixed bag variety. Practising single binding definately improved my tunneling ability, and just my overall level of awareness and skill in sumo and fort, at least in my opinion. But hands down, if you need to survive in certain spaces, triple binding is easier, but it can also do things SB can't.

So stop arguing about which is better: SB will help most people to improve their ability, but at the end of the day, if someone practices both, they should be better than someone who does one or the other.
The Halley's comet of Armagetron.
ps I'm not tokoyami
Olive
Match Winner

Post by Olive »

No one argued which one was better, I was simply listing the advantages and disadvantages.

If one could single in common play and double in small spaces he would master the perfect combination, as I already said. However, I cant switch between those two flawlessly. kgo
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

syllabear wrote:I think the optimal method is actually the mixed bag variety.
I agree. I generally use my spare hand for camera stuff rather than turns, but I've got my keys near by if it becomes necessary. I'd still call myself primarily a single binder though.
Olive
Match Winner

Post by Olive »

i used double binds in the tst final, payed off though, handy when camping and slagging all 'round. /shame