Best Fortress Player 2010

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
Concord
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Re: Best Fortress Player 2010

Post by Concord »

This list is based on Ladle performances in the past year, and impact on the game of fortress. To me, madmax is perhaps the best fortress player, but he plays in few Ladles, and has little influence on the game at large. Similarly, Puuquie is one of the best in my book, but despite playing very very well in many Ladles, he has not influenced the game in the way these folks have.

1.) Flex
I gave him little credit for his 2009 wins as he won with players who usually win. Not the case in 2010. Not to slight PsYkO, FoFo, insa or any of the other Speeders, because they are quite skilled, but Flex's teammates were not heavy Ladle winners before this recent streak. The credit, I contend, goes to Flex as the captain, tactician but also as a highly effective player in that system. He created a system built around specific personnel and won. Player of the year, without a doubt.

2.) Olive
Olive played in five finals this year (winning 3) and captained two teams to back-to-back victories. Not only a vocal leader, he was a leading performer for most of those teams. He is way up there in skill, the first round of the Ladle 38 finals is my reference. Perhaps no better round of fortress was played by any player all year.

3.) Xyron
While not a captain like the top two, Xyron performed at the highest level more often than anyone else. His skills shone time and time again. He won five Ladles, more than Flex, more than anyone.
Magic
Core Dumper

Post by Magic »

Wow this thread is pretty emotional. All in all great year of fortress and looking foward to this upcoming ladle as the start of another great year. What about top players in each position this year
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

This is an opportunity for Word to work on his Armagetron Hall of Fame again.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

I'm still working on it (more than ever) :)

<<<Enter the Hall of Fame>>>

Press enter to chat with yourself, use B U T and I to play the animations and press H to change the head texture :P
(We need some time for the networking part and the head model importer)
Slov
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Slov »

MB53 is the best!
.pG (only like, the best clan ever)

my mixtape fire tho
dreadlord
Match Winner

Post by dreadlord »

In my opinion it was a great year for fortress and sumo, with many newcomer-clans and single-newcomers. It's hard to list only 10 people although there are much more who should be mentioned. Well, lacka and madmax nearly always are mentioned and they deserve it, but there are much more players who deserve to be mentioned oO
Titanoboa

Post by Titanoboa »

I really can't say who the best fortress player of 2010 is. But you guys inspired me, so I still want to write something. I'll list the players that I learned the most from; the ones who co-designed my fortress style.

The first three are the ones who have been solid study material all the way from january 2010, and the other ones are more temporary.

Gonzap - The best attacker in fortress. He isn't the fastest attacker, he isn't the best cutter and he isn't the most patient attacker. But somehow he always manages to pressure the defender+sweepers because he stays well positioned and he finds (nearly impossible) ways to stay ahead of his opponents, and when there's a gap (whether he forces it or it appears naturally), he'll be there! I've watched him a lot this year, but there's still some details I don't think I'll ever be able to master like he does. Aggressive and solid - a rare combination in fortress.

Hoax - Wow, nobody included him in their "top 10"? I'm not even sure what his best position is, because he's great all over the grid. The keyword for this player is teamwork. He has a great eye for where players (on both teams) are and where they're going, and he manages to open up paths for teammates, making things go smooth. Things suddenly become simple when Hoax is on your team. And I'm really impressed by his speed management - being able to keep a high speed and still be where he's needed.

Durka - This is gonna sound weird for most of you, but Durka is definitely underrated. He has made the most amazing moves I've ever seen in this game (and I've seen a lot at this point, having played over 20,000 rounds of fortress+sumo and probably an equal amount of time in ctf), and he manages to make most of it look easy. But how? It's not like he has different physics than the rest of us, or faster fingers. The keyword here is understanding, I guess. His eyes see - more or less - the same stuff our eyes see, but then something happens in that brain. He really plays in his own division when it comes to fortress, and it's a shame he's had to go inactive. I mean, who in their right senses doesn't watch Durka play whenever there's a chance to?

When none of these are in a fort server, there have been others I've been trying to learn various things from: beer, fofo, lackadaisical, madmax, punish, judders, newbie, woned, flex, viper, sinewav, psyko, noob13, flex, mazuffer, jip, rudy, vanhayes
and more recently: teen, wap, xyron, slov, deso, matoso, dariv, mkay, chah, raph

On a side note, defenders (emmy, luffy, insa, nubilous etc) really impress me, but I don't think I could ever play the game that way.

Though, most important hasn't been watching people play, but actually playing against people. And I've had the most fun with slash and potter. At the start of the year they were both a lot better than me and I rarely stood a chance, but as time went by I slowly caught up and during the past few months I've had some awesome fights with these two. My favorite opponents for sure, and two great sources of inspiration/motivation etc. Some day I'll be better than you guys :D

And there's the off-grid stuff too. Discussing strategy, tactics and philosophy with Concord, Poke' Master and Olive has been very interesting, fun and rewarding. I've learnt a lot from them on the grid as well though, obviously.

PS. I'm obviously happy to see my name on your lists even if I don't quite agree with most of it :D. The reason I've improved so "fast" is because I've really focused on improving and I've spent a huge part of my year playing this game. Anyone else would improve as fast if they were as motivated as I've been.
And I'm a bit bummed out that I won't be able to play as much this year, and give up my captain role in R etc, but hopefully I'll never have to completely stop playing arma.

sorry for the long post and/or thanks for reading :D
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

Titanoboa wrote:Hoax - Wow, nobody included him in their "top 10"?
Pr3 and I did that, fyi. :wink:
ppotter
Match Winner

Post by ppotter »

He's already an arrogant jerk, don't want to feed it
Hoax
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Hoax »

Lies potts :/ Thanks prordoboa though
Who the best player is I don't know but for small scale teamwork & doing stuff bar what we know we can do already, well you probably know who you are. Also anyone else that follows me & knows when I'm behind them
apparition
Match Winner

Post by apparition »

You're all in my top 10 list of best fort player 2010! Here's how... A good player isn't much without his team, so:

1.00 - 5.00: CT (woned, gonzap, xyron, wap, emmy, dread, beer, puuq, etc.)
5.01 - 5.02: Random others who aren't in clans (madmax)
5.03 - 6.99: uNk (0ma, noob13, potter, maz, mkay, jip, bib, pr3, slash etc.)
7.00 - 8.99: SP (flex, fofo, psyko, insa, etc.) and R (luffy, titan, poke, lacka, olive, conc, poke, etc.)
9.00 - 9.99: Sith (hoax, deso, raph, rudy, akira, etc. and I guess durka) <-- if you were more active I'd put you higher as individuals perhaps
10.0: All others

Disclaimer: This has nothing to do with actual awards, don't yell at me *******.
Mkay1
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Mkay1 »

Oyay! thanks appa <4

jk heart ♥
Titanoboa

Post by Titanoboa »

woah.
apparition wrote:and R (luffy, titan, poke, lacka, olive, conc, poke, etc.)
and from a private hidden secret part of private secret R forums:
Poke' Master wrote:olive, lacka, matoso, concord, poke, luffy and i
Has anyone else seen more of poke lately?

anyway, wd.

coincidence?
Magic
Core Dumper

Post by Magic »

You mean you don't know?
matchbox53
Round Winner

Post by matchbox53 »

Slov wrote:MB53 is the best!