IP Finder

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
Post Reply

Do you object to this?

Yes
25
51%
No.
18
37%
I don't care.
6
12%
 
Total votes: 49

User avatar
AI-team
Shutout Match Winner
Posts: 1021
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:17 pm
Location: Germany/Munich
Contact:

Re: IP Finder

Post by AI-team »

If you guys want me to , I can make a poll out of it and decide whether it will be public or for server admins only
  
 
"95% of people believe in every quote you post on the internet" ~ Abraham Lincoln
 
 

User avatar
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Posts: 1791
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:07 pm

Re: IP Finder

Post by Titanoboa »

Who other than forum admins will get the IP's, anyway?

who's gonna manage the access list?

User avatar
AI-team
Shutout Match Winner
Posts: 1021
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:17 pm
Location: Germany/Munich
Contact:

Re: IP Finder

Post by AI-team »

You register at our forum http://trongame.de and then you just send a PM to word saying that you would like to join the "Allied Clan's Leader" group
Word moves you into that group and woop you can access it.
sounds good?
  
 
"95% of people believe in every quote you post on the internet" ~ Abraham Lincoln
 
 

Lanfear
Average Program
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:58 am

Re: IP Finder

Post by Lanfear »

:twisted: Anybody notice a change in the pageviews?

Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder
Posts: 4183
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: IP Finder

Post by Word »

is someone using bruteforce to find out ips? lol

User avatar
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Posts: 5041
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:06 pm
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.
Contact:

Re: IP Finder

Post by Phytotron »

Word wrote:
Phytotron wrote:I think people should be able to play with some level of anonymity.
If you didn't cause any trouble nobody is interested in your other aliases...
You're actually going to use the "if you have nothing to hide..." argument? Really?

User avatar
nara
Core Dumper
Posts: 162
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:20 am

Re: IP Finder

Post by nara »

AI-team wrote:If you guys want me to, I can make a poll out of it and decide whether it will be public or for server admins only
I don't understand the rationale behind making this public; it shouldn't even be an option if you were to poll. As for providing it to server admins, I agree with Phytotron. Big-time, cross-server troublemakers (who are few and far between as far as I know) can and should be dealt with on a case-by-case basis. You don't need this.
Word wrote:is someone using bruteforce to find out ips? lol
>_< Your answer...
boobert wrote:I have seen players announce each others' IP's right there on the grid. Some servers even announce IP's when a player enters the grid like ###.###.??? or w/e. I'm not the savviest of players by a longshot, but it seems this information is readily available and easy enough to find if you're clever.
It's difficult to argue for the safeguard of some sort of anonymity online, because there are always those who think by being on the internet their right to remain private is forfeited. Just because privacy is harder to maintain here doesn't mean you lose it altogether. I use aliases, I have nothing to hide, and I would still mind if you were to trace me. A player would and has the right to mind being checked even if they have nothing to hide, just as someone would mind the cops searching their place without a warrant, even if he or she does not hide crack in the backyard. I know it's a crude analogy, but several people have already posted variations of that same argument so I felt the need to address it in the simplest way possible.


:oops: Apologies for the long-ish post! I just think this isn't necessary--not by a long shot.

Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder
Posts: 4183
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: IP Finder

Post by Word »

Phytotron wrote:
Word wrote:
Phytotron wrote:I think people should be able to play with some level of anonymity.
If you didn't cause any trouble nobody is interested in your other aliases...
You're actually going to use the "if you have nothing to hide..." argument? Really?
for example, yesterday was someone named Mr Rager playing sumo and bragged the whole time that he was an old player etc.
Who wouldn't have liked to look up his IP? That's the first group.
Clan-applicants are the other group of players that can be sure that their IPs are checked.
that's nothing new but now it works faster. Most admins hand out IPs when you ask them for it.

User avatar
Lackadaisical
Shutout Match Winner
Posts: 822
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2003 4:58 pm
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Contact:

Re: IP Finder

Post by Lackadaisical »

Is there a list of servers that provide the data for this thing?

User avatar
noob_saibot
Round Winner
Posts: 237
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:39 am

Re: IP Finder

Post by noob_saibot »

Yea please list so I know not to enter them
WINNER OF: Ladle 47 .... preSsure's mom & Durka's mom

"If you're not part of the freaks, you're part of the boredom." -Perry Farrell

Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder
Posts: 4183
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: IP Finder

Post by Word »

noob_saibot wrote:Yea please list so I know not to enter them
that's exactly why we won't publish this info. :)
(but it's not that hard to find out if you use a different alias in every server and then check your ip. if that alias is on that list in 6 months - after we have updated the logs - you know which servers are on the list).
nara wrote:As for providing it to server admins, I agree with Phytotron.
but you understand that everyone can become a server admin, and the only difference is that you would always have to ask one of them, with the same result?
Last edited by Word on Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

boobert
On Lightcycle Grid
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 3:52 am
Location: usa
Contact:

Re: IP Finder

Post by boobert »

nara wrote: Just because privacy is harder to maintain here doesn't mean you lose it altogether. I use aliases, I have nothing to hide, and I would still mind if you were to trace me. A player would and has the right to mind being checked even if they have nothing to hide

User avatar
AI-team
Shutout Match Winner
Posts: 1021
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:17 pm
Location: Germany/Munich
Contact:

Re: IP Finder

Post by AI-team »

Lackadaisical wrote:Is there a list of servers that provide the data for this thing?
No. And there will never be one
  
 
"95% of people believe in every quote you post on the internet" ~ Abraham Lincoln
 
 

Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder
Posts: 4183
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: IP Finder

Post by Word »

nara wrote: Just because privacy is harder to maintain here doesn't mean you lose it altogether. I use aliases, I have nothing to hide, and I would still mind if you were to trace me. A player would and has the right to mind being checked even if they have nothing to hide
We don't force anyone to use a proxy.

And again: the IP finder is useless if you don't know the IP you're looking for. It's as dependent of server admins as it always was. But now you see all nicknames someone used and don't have to ask every single server admin.

Also, didn't uNk's capture ben flagen server show everyone's exact location when entering it? >_<

This is comparable to the Google Streetview debate (haha it's sooooo terrible when someone posts photos of your house on the web but who would like to prevent a friend from making the same photos for his family album), or facebook (while many people complain about their loss of privacy, their addictive showmanship isn't a problem for them). :|
I got an idea. We could deal with it like Google. "Tell us if you want us to censor/blacken/delete/alienate your IP and we'll do it." :P

User avatar
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Posts: 5041
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:06 pm
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.
Contact:

Re: IP Finder

Post by Phytotron »

Word wrote:
nara wrote:As for providing it to server admins, I agree with Phytotron.
but you understand that everyone can become a server admin, and the only difference is that you would always have to ask one of them, with the same result?
No, not the same result. If some joker who isn't well established, with good, long-standing reputation as a server admin or at least with the "community," comes to me and asks me for IPs and names associated with them, he's not getting them. Nor would I ever approach said joker and share IPs and names with him. Or, if I simply don't approve of what's being asked of me and the reason behind it, even if it is an established admin.
Lackadaisical wrote:Is there a list of servers that provide the data for this thing?
Word wrote:
noob_saibot wrote:Yea please list so I know not to enter them
that's exactly why we won't publish this info. :)
And exactly another reason why this is a bad idea. You're not even going to be open about what servers are involved? You say players should be snooped on but have no right in knowing who is doing the snooping? To hell with that.

You still don't get why "if you have nothing to hide..." is a bad argument?

I only just noticed the "Criminal" part of your little title. You may think you're being cute, but you're essentially presuming anyone guilty to be proven innocent, rather than the reverse as it should be.

How the hell can you say that only entering and displaying aliases* would be "pure abuse" but involving IPs would not be?

I find all this reason enough for anyone objecting to this to, in effect, boycott playing in any PRU or other servers who've intimated being involved with this thing.


* You do realise we all are using aliases, right? I doubt your real names are Word and AI-Team.
Last edited by Phytotron on Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:01 am, edited 5 times in total.

Post Reply