Button Pressing

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
Tremor
Average Program

Button Pressing

Post by Tremor »

This doesn't really refer to be who only single bind because it be kind of obvious how they press their keys. But for people who double and triple bind, i was wondering if you guys have a special way of pressing your keys.

For example instead of pressing both left keys at the same time to double bind left do you press one left key then the other.

If you do have some special way of pressing the keys, tell me and explain if you think its better or why you use that method. :mrgreen:
Hoax
Shutout Match Winner

Re: Button Pressing

Post by Hoax »

erm
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Tremor wrote:For example instead of pressing both left keys at the same time to double bind left do you press one left key then the other.
Actually, that's exactly what I do. I have two keys bound for each direction, but I rarely jab them down at the same time. I kind of switch between using one or two hands to play. (I think kyle does this too.) I know some players who triple-bind tend to roll their fingers when they play, like you might drum them on a table to pass the time.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

yeah, same for me. As far as I know Ai has something similar to a scale on a piano when he's playing ctf :P

I just use the key that is most practically for me - the left side when I want to glance (using my right hand), the right side if i have to brake at the same time (using my left hand). everything else would be too confusing ;)

well......except this.
:)
Kijutsu
Match Winner

Post by Kijutsu »

ii use mah whoal keyb0ard fur quadriplew00tpwnbinding!!1
ItzAcid
Match Winner

Post by ItzAcid »

i go between single and double binds. being a dfer, i have habit of tapping my "hook" keys repeatedly in sumo (left left left right right right right i think haha) when i do this, the first are single binds then i double out of it.
Won Tourneys/Competitions: WWG4 (Hmm, need more braggage like Durka)

Oo oO
Mkay1
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Mkay1 »

vogue wrote:ii use mah whoal keyb0ard fur quadriplew00tpwnbinding!!1
Why did this comment make me laugh? :S
Tremor
Average Program

Post by Tremor »

Mkay1 wrote:
Because if its true...it works.

It seems like sine and word tend to have one hand doing all the turning and the other hand is either relaxing or the glancing hand. But dont you guys think that prevents you from reacting faster in tight situations?
Mecca
Match Winner

Post by Mecca »

Tremor wrote:
Mkay1 wrote:
Because if its true...it works.

It seems like sine and word tend to have one hand doing all the turning and the other hand is either relaxing or the glancing hand. But dont you guys think that prevents you from reacting faster in tight situations?
From what I have seen on similar topics, most players use 4 keys to turn (2 left, 2 right), so you could use one hand to turn. I cannot control my ring finger and my pinky that well, so that would not work for me :C
Cosmic Dolphin
Round Winner

Post by Cosmic Dolphin »

My setup features a button to turn right or left available to both hands. I never hold down to one style, though. In racing on a 16 axis map, I only do double binds, with both hands going. (hit the z with the left, the left arrow with the right.) For quick turns on an 8 axis map, I do the same thing. However, if I am playing a regular server, I switch between one-handed, using both hands at differnt times (for one turn, use left, later use the right), one key then the other, or both keys at the same time. Depends on how much time and fine tuning I need for the turn.

Maybe I should switch to Lucifer's idea? Much easier.
" Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
-Plato
Ok, but why did I add this signature? I was like 15 and thought I was smart? What a brat.
Tremor
Average Program

Post by Tremor »

Yea mecca, i cant see how people can play with their pinky fingers.

So to get this straight Cosmic Dolphin, you basically single bind until you feel its time to double or am i interpreting it wrong?
Cosmic Dolphin
Round Winner

Post by Cosmic Dolphin »

yea, but I also alter the way I double bind depending on how it feels. As I said, the whole just bring down your fist is looking better and better :D
" Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
-Plato
Ok, but why did I add this signature? I was like 15 and thought I was smart? What a brat.
Tremor
Average Program

Post by Tremor »

Cosmic Dolphin wrote:yea, but I also alter the way I double bind depending on how it feels. As I said, the whole just bring down your fist is looking better and better :D
Lol i think its looking better to everyone :lol:
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

I don't know what the hell you people are talking about, with fingers usage and all. In my case, during the brief, misguided period that I used doublebinds, I secured the services of a little fairy goblin to stand on my keyboard and mash the extra keys. He would position his left foot on the J and his right foot on the L, facing the screen so he could see the action. Meanwhile, I poised my fingers as I still do (arrow keys for turns, SDF for glances). Then, when I wanted to 180, he just stomped the relevant key.

Well, ultimately realising the error of my DB'ing ways, I no longer required its assistance. I informed it of the news, and it saw fit to be on its way back to the garden, in the bushes near the shed. However, as it turned and began to leave the room, it dawned on me that this thing that had become a mundanity of my days was in fact extraordinary! I realised that I may never see one again, and I knew that no one would believe me if I were to ever mention it. Not my wife, not my mum, not anyone. I knew I had to obtain proof of its existence. I mustn't let it get away! So, quickly I glanced around the den. I saw my pressed flowers notebook setting on the desk. My wife had given it to me as a gift, and it was meant only for pressing flowers and leaves, but time was short and I had no option. I grabbed it, opened it wide, crept up behind the funny-looking thing, and SMACK! I got it! Right between the pages! Now I can show you all:
Attachments
pressedfaerie2.jpg.gz
(88.51 KiB) Downloaded 138 times
Tremor
Average Program

Post by Tremor »

I am going to use your story to explain.

This topic is basically asking would the fairy press his left key at the exact same time as you pressed your left key to double bind or would he press his left key and then you would right after the fairy did.