The truth about TR2N Origins

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
Mkay1
Shutout Match Winner

Re: The truth about TR2N Origins

Post by Mkay1 »

:o

I Blame Liz
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

Olive wrote:
vogue wrote:For anyone who's too lazy/unwilling to download the game, I made a quick video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYA7ZYYJ7C0
Reversed rubber meter?
Yes, the rubber meter is reversed. If you get used to it, as some of us have, you may find it an improvement. Personally, i prefer how it tells me how much i have left, instead of how much used. I find it a little easier to push the envelope of not quite burning my rubber out...but using practically all of it at times...especially when trying to defend in fort.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
Mkay1
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Mkay1 »

compguygene wrote:
Yes, the rubber meter is reversed. If you get used to it, as some of us have, you may find it an improvement. Personally, i prefer how it tells me how much i have left, instead of how much used.
Sounds subjective. :|

Usefull but diffrent, idk if people like freako would be able to handle the change after so many years.
Kijutsu
Match Winner

Post by Kijutsu »

I doubt freako is going to play that game, also, he handled the change from guldens to euros!
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Phytotron wrote:I would have a wall-touching system reminiscent of the game Tetris. You know how in Tetris, when your falling block makes contact with the others, you get a split-second to slide it before it gets locked in place. It would behave similarly, where you'd get a consistent, predetermined split-second to make contact with a wall before exploding. It could be configurable for being based on actual time or speed (distance traveled), but it would always be consistent.
That is the best and shortest description of rubber I've ever seen. I just want to point out that all the other things you don't like about it derive from these mechanisms you've described.

I'm curious if someone can implement the same concept and have it behave differently, or in a more desired way.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

compguygene wrote:Yes, the rubber meter is reversed. If you get used to it, as some of us have, you may find it an improvement. Personally, i prefer how it tells me how much i have left, instead of how much used. I find it a little easier to push the envelope of not quite burning my rubber out...but using practically all of it at times...especially when trying to defend in fort.
You can also reverse the rubber meter in 0.3.0. :) I don't remember if anybody's made a cockpit that uses a reversed meter, though.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Olive
Match Winner

Post by Olive »

I <3 guilders.

I couldn't handle the 0.3 default cockpit either, so I probably never get used to the reversed rubber meter if I tried.

"Tronners are conservatives, afraid of change." (at least this counts for me)
Olive a.k.a ZeMu, MoonFlower & chicken.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Actually, reverse is the way the rubber meter should have been introduced with. Internally, it works like it works mainly because the decay math is easier that way.
freako
Core Dumper

Post by freako »

Mkay1 wrote:
compguygene wrote:
Yes, the rubber meter is reversed. If you get used to it, as some of us have, you may find it an improvement. Personally, i prefer how it tells me how much i have left, instead of how much used.

Usefull but diffrent, idk if people like freako would be able to handle the change after so many years.
I tried it out a few hours ago, and it was exactly like I was afraid off.
It has the same problem for me as the latest 0.3.x releases. (That's why I'm still running a 2 year old release *maybe older*)
(I'm pretty sure the *fork* isn't based on the 0.3.x branch, but for some strange reason it has the same flaw)

There's a delay between the keystroke and the actual turn in the game, it's such a difference for me that upgrading to a newer 0.3.x version is not an option, because I'm actually able to make such an amount of keystrokes when I play, that my bike is still turning when I'm not touching my keyboard anymore (for a short period, but definitely noticeable)

There's only 1 other person, who had the same flaw.
Here's a quote from Voodoo who noticed the same problem, but for him it just suddenly dissapeared
First, I'm playing with these build for a few days (mainly local game). I use to have some weird behavior with previous build: a kind of delay between the keystroke and the effective turn even in local game (using windows xp on a macbook. Driver is an nvidia one) ...
And my opinion about Origins,
It's better then I thought it would be, but the difference with the *normal* armagetron version is to big.
And that's why I'll never play it. :wink:
Crazy Tron Addict since : October 2002 <--- Beat that :)
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

Lucifer wrote:
compguygene wrote:Yes, the rubber meter is reversed. If you get used to it, as some of us have, you may find it an improvement. Personally, i prefer how it tells me how much i have left, instead of how much used. I find it a little easier to push the envelope of not quite burning my rubber out...but using practically all of it at times...especially when trying to defend in fort.
You can also reverse the rubber meter in 0.3.0. :) I don't remember if anybody's made a cockpit that uses a reversed meter, though.
I am going to be playing with a "nightly build" of the trunk series soon. I just need to get around to putting linux mint on my main computer, and updating my linux install in my netbook. I was already thinking of making my own cockpit, because i haven't found one that I really love yet.
freako wrote:
Mkay1 wrote:
compguygene wrote:

I tried it out a few hours ago, and it was exactly like I was afraid off.
It has the same problem for me as the latest 0.3.x releases. (That's why I'm still running a 2 year old release *maybe older*)
(I'm pretty sure the *fork* isn't based on the 0.3.x branch, but for some strange reason it has the same flaw)

There's a delay between the keystroke and the actual turn in the game, it's such a difference for me that upgrading to a newer 0.3.x version is not an option, because I'm actually able to make such an amount of keystrokes when I play, that my bike is still turning when I'm not touching my keyboard anymore (for a short period, but definitely noticeable)

There's only 1 other person, who had the same flaw.
Here's a quote from Voodoo who noticed the same problem, but for him it just suddenly dissapeared
First, I'm playing with these build for a few days (mainly local game). I use to have some weird behavior with previous build: a kind of delay between the keystroke and the effective turn even in local game (using windows xp on a macbook. Driver is an nvidia one) ...
And my opinion about Origins,
It's better then I thought it would be, but the difference with the *normal* armagetron version is to big.
And that's why I'll never play it. :wink:
For what it's worth, I am the person that will be pretty much be running the
Monthly Fortress Touney in our official tr2n servers. The reasons that you have described are one of the reasons that we are going to allow tr2n clients to connect to arma servers via a subculture, and allow arma clients to connect to tr2n servers. To me, to have a fortress tourney that freako couldn't play in would be a bad thing!
DDMJ
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by DDMJ »

On a side note, the website is obnoxiously wide; I hate having to scroll sideways.
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

I noticed that too, when I tested the site on my kid's computer that has an old, evga 1024x768 monitor. Unfortunately, I think little can be done to rectify that at this time.

Edit: This forum needs some side scrolling on said monitor as well.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

compguygene wrote:Edit: This forum needs some side scrolling on said monitor as well.
Really? The only theme that seems to force a minimum width is lackarma2 (the default one), and even with that, everything fits into an 800 pixel wide Konqueror window. Provided you block the worst of the obnoxiously wide signature images, of course, or disable signatures completely. Haven't tested other browsers or different font sizes.

Also, you probably missed my follow up questions to your new user tests :)
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

Z-Man wrote:
compguygene wrote:Edit: This forum needs some side scrolling on said monitor as well.
Really? The only theme that seems to force a minimum width is lackarma2 (the default one), and even with that, everything fits into an 800 pixel wide Konqueror window. Provided you block the worst of the obnoxiously wide signature images, of course, or disable signatures completely. Haven't tested other browsers or different font sizes.

Also, you probably missed my follow up questions to your new user tests :)
Kinda oops on this forum side-scrolling on this monitor! After seeing what you wrote I went over to the kids computer here, and realized that I must have in a hurry peeked into this forum with the monitor set at 640x480. One old windows game my son plays randomly leaves the computer in that resolution. I am viewing in 1024x768 and this forum displays properly. Its was a very hectic day yesterday between 2 kids that have been home and sick since saturday. Plus a quick hospital visit for my daughter that took 5 hours to determine that she just needed one more medicine for a few days to get well. No worries, we only went to a hospital ER because we really had no other choice. Fortunately, I was able to take my netbook to continue to do tr2n and arma related stuff.

As to your follow-up question on the test. I think that linking to launchpad will solve the problem.
Speaking of launchpad, I started a launchpad site for Tr2nOrigins. When I wake up, I am going to place the current source in bzr that is hosted by launchpad and set things up so manta can test. Of course, that will make it easier for any of you to contribute, if you so desire! Once i have it setup, manta will give it a go to see if he likes it.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

dubStep wrote:Just because sine & I only play arma, doesn't mean we play only arma.
Fixed, sorta.

Van-hayes wrote:Authentication stuff
Using Arma, the only way I even try to do it anymore is by typing "/login Phytotron@forums." I leave the Global ID in my Player Settings blank, and never go to the Authentication menu option. Why would one need to authenticate a local game, anyway?

Z-Man wrote:And both our default keyboard layouts need to change :) The natural expectation of any reasonably experienced PC gamer is that control works either over the cursor keys or WASD. You can document your layout on your webpage as much as you like, players don't read it.
Agreed, big time.

freako wrote:There's a delay between the keystroke and the actual turn in the game
Um, are you sure you're not just responding to CYCLE_DELAY 0.1?

Lucifer wrote:That is the best and shortest description of rubber I've ever seen.
Well, sure, if you only quote half the description, it sorta is how rubber works sometimes.
I'm curious if someone can implement the same concept and have it behave differently, or in a more desired way.
Me too.