The truth about TR2N Origins

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
Post Reply
User avatar
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder
Posts: 2333
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:09 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Contact:

Re: The truth about TR2N Origins

Post by compguygene »

Phytotron wrote:Oh man, there's a little bit of the blind leading the blind going on over there on their forums. :? I don't know that that's necessarily "noob friendly." (Oh, how I hate the word "noob" and all its variants.)
I would just like to re-iterate my point of us developing a different culture than the culture here. I am not saying your better, or we're better, just different. Also, you need to keep in mind that we are currently more like a private beta than wide open to the world. Perhaps the silliness may seem stupid or whatnot, but we like fooling around. If you were to view our private development team forums, you would take slightly different view of us.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm

User avatar
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Posts: 5041
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:06 pm
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.
Contact:

Re: The truth about TR2N Origins

Post by Phytotron »

Z-Man wrote:"Newbie", I think, is the generally accepted friendly term you'd be looking for.
I suppose. But I don't even like that word much anymore (i.e., since the internets came online) as I find a lot of the time it's used in the same manner, and coming from the same mentality, as "noob": derogatorily, to put people down, and implicitly boast superiority.

Gene, I wasn't talking about any silliness. I was referring to the fact that there aren't the "experts" (for lack of a better term) on that forum yet that there are here, and so already there's some of the following creeping in:

"How do I do this?"
"I'm not sure, try this...."
"Maybe if you do this...."
"Do you know if it'll work if I...."
"I think what you should do is...."
"Here's how it works...."
"Great! That does it!"

And it still may not be correct, or at least optimum, especially in terms of "newbie friendliness." Which, given one of the premises of this project, seems counterproductive to me. If you want to hold people's hands in introducing them to the game and its workings, it makes more sense to have a competent hand-holder(s) to send them in the right direction, wouldn't you say?

In other words, I'm not giving you or the project shit.

User avatar
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder
Posts: 2333
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:09 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Contact:

Re: The truth about TR2N Origins

Post by compguygene »

Phytotron wrote:
Z-Man wrote:"Newbie", I think, is the generally accepted friendly term you'd be looking for.
I suppose. But I don't even like that word much anymore (i.e., since the internets came online) as I find a lot of the time it's used in the same manner, and coming from the same mentality, as "noob": derogatorily, to put people down, and implicitly boast superiority.

Gene, I wasn't talking about any silliness. I was referring to the fact that there aren't the "experts" (for lack of a better term) on that forum yet that there are here, and so already there's some of the following creeping in:

"How do I do this?"
"I'm not sure, try this...."
"Maybe if you do this...."
"Do you know if it'll work if I...."
"I think what you should do is...."
"Here's how it works...."
"Great! That does it!"

And it still may not be correct, or at least optimum, especially in terms of "newbie friendliness." Which, given one of the premises of this project, seems counterproductive to me. If you want to hold people's hands in introducing them to the game and its workings, it makes more sense to have a competent hand-holder(s) to send them in the right direction, wouldn't you say?

In other words, I'm not giving you or the project shit.
Thank you for the clarification! The forthcoming documentation and tutorials will help to either eliminate many of these problems, or at least make them easier to post about. I have essentially taken much of the Armagetron wiki, and re-written things to not only fit the new game, but expanded things with small, focused tutorials that will have videos embedded in them. Unfortunately, we released so quickly, to just get it out there, that the documentation is not quite finished. Also, said documentation will be hosted on the main website. But, we are now finding the glitches with our content manager. So, working out said glitches, which is pretty much done, has taken priority over actually getting the Documentation up.
As to the development of experts, I can only say thanks to you, Z-man, and others from here that have not only taken the time to come to the forums, but to answer questions.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm

User avatar
Lucifer
Project Developer & Local Moonshiner
Posts: 8610
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 3:32 pm
Location: Republic of Texas
Contact:

Re: The truth about TR2N Origins

Post by Lucifer »

compguygene wrote: Thank you for the clarification! The forthcoming documentation and tutorials will help to either eliminate many of these problems, or at least make them easier to post about.
No it won't. :) People don't read documentation.
Image

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden

User avatar
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder
Posts: 2333
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:09 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Contact:

Re: The truth about TR2N Origins

Post by compguygene »

Lucifer wrote:
compguygene wrote: Thank you for the clarification! The forthcoming documentation and tutorials will help to either eliminate many of these problems, or at least make them easier to post about.
No it won't. :) People don't read documentation.
I understand your point in saying that. However, I have already had requests. The real goal is to be able easily give someone a link. Also, the way the "help" button on the website seems to, with initial testing, have been more effective than a wiki.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm

User avatar
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Posts: 5041
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:06 pm
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.
Contact:

Re: The truth about TR2N Origins

Post by Phytotron »

Phytotron wrote:[Rubber is] a fairly (perhaps the) distinguishing aspect of Arma, however I believe that even Z-Man has lamented the lack of foresight on what would come of it, beginning as merely a compensation for latency (lag) but being abused to the point that it's now commonly accepted as a game mechanic or feature.
Heh, I was perusing some old posts and found such a statement: http://forums3.armagetronad.net/viewtop ... 441#p25441
Z-Man wrote:This whole rubber thing was a really bad idea from the start, but now people rely on it and we're stuck with it.
And so fitting is the particular server being dealt with when this utterance was made. :lol:


Anyway, just annotating.

User avatar
Lucifer
Project Developer & Local Moonshiner
Posts: 8610
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 3:32 pm
Location: Republic of Texas
Contact:

Re: The truth about TR2N Origins

Post by Lucifer »

Phytotron wrote:
Z-Man wrote:This whole rubber thing was a really bad idea from the start, but now people rely on it and we're stuck with it.
And so fitting is the particular server being dealt with when this utterance was made. :lol:
CYCLE_RUBBER 50 FTW!
Image

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden

(void*)0
On Lightcycle Grid
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:28 pm

Re: The truth about TR2N Origins

Post by (void*)0 »

<delete>
Last edited by (void*)0 on Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
nsh22
Round Winner
Posts: 378
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:12 pm
Location: eating, cooking or writing (about cooking).
Contact:

Re: The truth about TR2N Origins

Post by nsh22 »

yes that issue has come up... IIRC we are in full compliance of the gnu licensing (unless the changes wernt made yet)
Lucifer wrote:I think you got the wrong thread, this thread is the one where we're debating banning sinewav and dubStep until they have a threesome with dubbie's mother.

(void*)0
On Lightcycle Grid
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:28 pm

Re: The truth about TR2N Origins

Post by (void*)0 »

<delete>
Last edited by (void*)0 on Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Z-Man
God & Project Admin
Posts: 11232
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: Cologne, Jabber: [email protected]
Contact:

Re: The truth about TR2N Origins

Post by Z-Man »

We've been over all that already. Please do read the whole thread and don't create bad mojo.

(void*)0
On Lightcycle Grid
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:28 pm

Re: The truth about TR2N Origins

Post by (void*)0 »

sorry for reposting. I deleted my comments. in fact they didn't add nothing to this but my own (yes, not very friendly) thoughts, if those are bad mojo I keep them out.

User avatar
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Posts: 1743
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:07 pm

Re: The truth about TR2N Origins

Post by Titanoboa »

I guess a nice (not necessarily=good) moderator would delete this post, and the 6 posts that are right above this one.

An evil mod however, would leave them here. =]

epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder
Posts: 2006
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:02 pm
Location: paris
Contact:

Re: The truth about TR2N Origins

Post by epsy »

or an away one, for that matter..

Concord
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Posts: 1661
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:24 pm

Re: The truth about TR2N Origins

Post by Concord »

you use 7 different fonts on your homepage. Why?

Post Reply