How did you get started in Armagetron

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

How did you get started in Armagetron

Post by compguygene »

Cosmic Dolphin said: We should have a forum devoted to players telling how they got started in Armagetron. It could be funny. (I'll just say I took vengance early in fort, re-inforcing me in racing)
I agree, I told my story in this thread. http://forums3.armagetronad.net/viewtop ... 4&start=15 Let's hear your story!
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
Lacrymosa
Round Winner

Re: How did you get started in Armagetron

Post by Lacrymosa »

Found the game on a CD from a magazine five or six years ago. Started to play splitscreen with my brother and some friends. First try online at Tigers Network Classic Play and Armagoshdarn.
fingerbib
Core Dumper

Post by fingerbib »

This is pretty uninspiring: I bought a Mac. I was searching apple.com for free game downloads. Got AA. Played a few local games, was just on the point of deleting it when I noticed the 'internet game' option. 3 (roughly) years later I'm still addicted.
he said.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

Found the game on a CD from a magazine five or six years ago. Started to play splitscreen with my brother and some friends. First try online at Tigers Network Classic Play and Armagoshdarn.
I think i got the same CD. 6 years ago we had to analyze magazines and i happened to find this game. I enjoyed local mode for one year while i listened to my first Kraftwerk album all the time, but I stopped playing when i got bored by the Ais. I didn't know anything about console commands so i always played with 1 rubber...I don't say it might help anyone to improve but it is probably like riding a bicycle, you never forget how to do it. One year ago I got a new computer with internet and remembered this game.

But you can read the rest in the other topic :P

http://www.lagtest.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2310
XzL.Smart
Round Winner

Post by XzL.Smart »

I found this game on a school computer 7 years ago. Never looked at local game. Always played on LAN with my friends at school. Then once they got too easy to beat, I started playing online on the SP server. Fun times...
Meh=-~
Average Program

Post by Meh=-~ »

i was playing light bike on my iphone and i checked out google to see if there was a better version online and i found tron >:D
Can i have a cookie?
pie goes moo
Round Winner

Post by pie goes moo »

I went to iD Tech Camps and at every break we played Arma. I thought I would try it at home when the camp was over...so I did...then I got addicted...
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

It came with RedHat 7.1 or so, but I couldn't get the 3d acceleration working. So I booted up my windows partition for a little while and played the windows version. This was all back before the master server existed. ;)

Switched over to Linux and put armagetron down for about a year. Then I got 3d acceleration working, saw it was in Mandrake's repositories, and started playing.

Played on Breakfast of Champions (when it was called Breakfast Burrito for some reason) and armagoshdarnish in 0.2.6.

I guess it was 6 or 7 years ago, maybe only 5. Right before I moved back to Austin. Hmmmm.........

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

I found it during Z-Man's absence. Boo!! :)

Put another way, I found 0.2.6.0 on the Apple site. Thought it looked interesting. I remember the first thing I saw was this screenshot.

For you high rubber people, that was a time when rubber wasn't so robust, and people kept it mostly in what is now considered the "low" range. So what are you trying to do? Walk on the sidewalk with a stack of mattresses on the road?
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
Van-hayes
Round Winner

Post by Van-hayes »

My sister had downloaded it onto our computer(I think some people at her university had shown it to her, she didn't play much or anymore) and I tried it out online in MBC's server i think at first, then fort came along and the addiction took hold. I think that was 4 or 5 years ago now.
You've gone too far, turn back!
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

I found it on Mandriva Linux 2006, the first Linux distro that I installed. I remember when i first played local game trying to figure out the settings. I failed the first few times, but i kept trying until i found the user configuration setup. I think i've used the same configuration ever since. I think i did add a few more turn keys though. It was 0.2.7 and i was of course a n00b at Linux back then so i did not know how to update it. So i played on quite a few non fortress servers. My favorite being tigers network speed blast (it always was annoying though when the other players did not brake) It was pretty popular in that time. It was about December 2005.

Eventually around February or march 2006 i found it for windows, which I was still primarily using at the time. From there on out I fell in love with CTWF and even loved it more when ed added some speed boost maps to it :)
theroze
Match Winner

Post by theroze »

Each one of you have interesting stories...my: I went to my friend, he showed me the game, i began to play it.
apparition wrote:You being able to kill so many players that quickly and efficiently is evidence that the community skill level must be dropping... Sad :/
Reigning champion of: Sir-spam-a-lot 2011
MrsKsr
Shutout Match Winner

Post by MrsKsr »

Teacher @ school installed it on the school network. We'd playe LAN games when we'd finished or work... Then we became addicted and didnt do much work so they banned it, but we got around the school network and put it back on the computers ^^ ftw

But then, it was the summer holidays and I kind of forgot about it for a month or so, then bored during the holiday, discovered it again and found out there were internet games... All downhill from there =P

Couple people still played after school was out for summer, but I'm the only one who stuck with it! naabs ><
"You may say I'm a dreamer but I'm not the only one;
I hope some day you will join us, and the world can live as one"

“Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.”

I believe that to truly love is the ultimate expression of the will to live.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Let me preface this boring story with the following: I do not play video games - I play video game. This means, I don't embrace video game culture, and usually just fixate on a single game (my tastes are quite narrow). The last console I owned was an Atari 2600. The only other video game I played seriously was Descent (local games only). That's it. No Halo. No WoW. Not even Mario Brothers. Most of my video game experience comes from the stand-ups in the arcade "back-in-the-day" (before 1984 probably).

I found Armagetron in 2001 when downloading all the lightcycle games on Tron-Sector. I played it for about a week and decided it sucked, then uninstalled it. I proceeded to play glTron for several more weeks. Then I got a life and didn't play video games again until December 2007 when I gave ArmagetronAd a try.

Now, I probably would have been hooked earlier, but I never had a reliable Internet connection until 2006. And even now, I have the lowest tier Internet service my carrier provides.

The End. *yawn*
madmax
Round Winner

Post by madmax »

fingerbib wrote:This is pretty uninspiring: I bought a Mac. I was searching apple.com for free game downloads. Got AA. Played a few local games, was just on the point of deleting it when I noticed the 'internet game' option. 3 (roughly) years later I'm still addicted.
Mine's pretty similar too. I was looking for open source stuff for my new-at-the-time-Powerbook-which-is-close-to-dead-now, and then I found this page, which happens to list Armagetron :)
I still use a lot of stuff originally found there...
Winner of the How Many Pages Before The Lock® competition and a grand total of 18,93 euros in Euromillions.