clantag abuse

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

clantag abuse

Post by Word »

Could you do something against it?
i know there are lots of imposters around but is it possible to make an official list only clanleaders have access to, where we can add nicks of our members that are allowed to use a certain letter-combination (aka clantag :) ) in front of their name? Anyone else who does it could be renamed by the server automatically, without the tag. If the server owner doesn't like it, he can still turn it off. But it shows solidarity, and it is less confusing to see players we don't even know or haven't accepted yet.

It is something like Authentication Extended :!:

Not all servers support Auth, but if the master server could somehow transfer this information about clan tags it would work everywhere.
I don't know much about programming but I hope it is possible.

There are enough players who sometimes complain about "our members" which were never in our clan and I did never hear of...I think Ww, ID, Ct and all the others have the same problem and share this opinion. But I won't go so far to say "I speak for all" here :wink:
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

No. This would draw us into all the petty clan conflicts, something I can very well live without. Plus, there's abuse potential: who defines what is a legal clan tag and what not? Each clan has its own delimiters.
Instead, make a clan members only armathority and have your clan members use that, and make that known.
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

I want control over the empty prefix.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
Word

Post by Word »

Z-Man wrote:who defines what is a legal clan tag and what not? Each clan has its own delimiters.
We could add several possibilities in the list, like for pru:
pru
prü
_.pRÚ·ˉ
*pru*
.:PRU:.
þrµ^
«Þ®û»
pRu.
<.p<R>U.>
¦[·pRÛ

now there are these strange symbols like #, »,®.... that can be evidence enough when they come after the tag. So it will be easy to know that the letter combination is meant as clantag and nothing else.
Last edited by Word on Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wrtlprnft
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by wrtlprnft »

Aren't clan tags an abuse of the player name system, in a way?
There's no place like ::1
Word

Post by Word »

wrtlprnft wrote:Aren't clan tags an abuse of the player name system, in a way?
why? we don't force anyone to wear our tag, and those who wear the tag should belong in the clan but if they lie to others if while they aren't members, they can harm the clan's reputation.
Clans are something for volunteers who want to have fun, not for players who just want to get some attention or to insult people without any consequences for them but for the clan.
rumpole
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by rumpole »

Someone could setup a site maintained like the master servers where you have to register your name and password which you will have to use to login to game servers that have authentication enabled, but this would only solve one of the issues
Writing code is easy. Finishing is hard.
Word

Post by Word »

rumpole wrote:Someone could setup a site maintained like the master servers where you have to register your name and password which you will have to use to login to game servers that have authentication enabled, but this would only solve one of the issues
that would not keep anyone from using a clantag, and it would only waste the time of the clanmembers because all of them would have to register and to login...

for example when i am in ww ctf, it is still possible that a pruNickname enters the game.

with the system i suggested, the server could rename him just to "Nickname". Is it really such a bad idea to enable this?
rumpole
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by rumpole »

Word wrote:that would not keep anyone from using a clantag, and it would only waste the time of the clanmembers because all of them would have to register and to login...
It would stop it because once an abuser was reported to the registration admin the abusers password could be changed and this would block them from using the clan name, also if they continued to re-register clan tags the admin could block their ip from the registration server

Basically the same thing as a forum system
Writing code is easy. Finishing is hard.
wrtlprnft

Post by wrtlprnft »

Word wrote:why?
In a way they are. Nicknames are supposed to be just that, names, and are not designed to contain additional information like the player's age, their hobbies, their website, the name of their dog, the music they listen to, or who they like to play with. Hence the limit of 15 characters.
Sure, clan tags aren't really hurting anyone, so noone complains about them, but running around trying to force server administrators and/or developers to follow the latest hot arguments between clans and their members is just silly.

As it's been said before, if you want your clan members to unambigously prove their identity and clan membership, set up an armathority that only clan members have accounts on and tell them to only play on servers that support armathentication.
Paladin
Average Program

Post by Paladin »

Isn't this whole problem solved by the kickpoll system? Just kick the people that steal your clan 'tags' if it bothers you so much.

Z-man/wrtl: Definitely the best solution to the problem.

Word: What if I wanted to be Prune Face? If you are having problems with clan tag abusers on servers that do not support auth go and talk to the owners of that server. It's possibly they might just have enough pity/care enough about it to take a look.

In the meantime, I'm happier having people using clan tags in their name, rather than in their chat.

Player 1:OoO| I'm part of the Ostrich on Orangutan clan
wrtlprnft

Post by wrtlprnft »

Paladin wrote:In the meantime, I'm happier having people using clan tags in their name, rather than in their chat.
Definitely :-)

As I said, noone complains about clan tags as long as they aren't annoying (by their apperance or by the fuss people make about them).
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

http://crosswords.sensagent.com/crosswo ... l=en&dl=en

Should these words be banned as well?

Also, to be honest, people are [usually] only harming their own reputation when pretending being in a group/team/clan they aren't in. That's been our base policy regarding people who use the same tag as us. Upon asked, we will simply tell they aren't in our clan. Anyone can append/prepend ¦×¦ to their nickname, but that won't ever make them one of us.

If you look for any kind of certification somebody is from ¦×¦, ask that somebody to log in using @x/member :)

PS: by clan tag abuse, I first understood "clantags that are too long"
Word

Post by Word »

wrtlprnft wrote:Sure, clan tags aren't really hurting anyone, so noone complains about them, but running around trying to force server administrators and/or developers to follow the latest hot arguments between clans and their members is just silly.
Again, nobody is forced if it is done automatically. And most server admins/owners are clanmembers and/or host it for their clan. It is not the "latest hot arguments" but this problem exists already very long. That is why I think the solution I suggested would be easy to realize but won't hurt anyone.
wrtlprnft wrote:As it's been said before, if you want your clan members to unambigously prove their identity and clan membership, set up an armathority that only clan members have accounts on and tell them to only play on servers that support armathentication.
I said before that I think is better when we have a big, global solution which helps everyone. I know maybe 7 servers who support Auth, and i play in 2 of them sometimes. But I can't do anything when I see players there who wear our tag except saying: "Don't do that or I'll inform an admin and you get banned forever here!" :)
Last edited by Word on Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Concord

Post by Concord »

wrtlprnft, a word which is an assortment of consonants and not a name, wrote: Nicknames are supposed to be just that, names, and are not designed to contain additional information like the player's age, their hobbies, their website, the name of their dog, the music they listen to, or who they like to play with. Hence the limit of 15 characters.
So we should be named Roger and Jerry?