Is there an an old school server you want brought back

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
Lucifer
Project Developer

Re: Is there an an old school server you want brought back

Post by Lucifer »

Triple post for the win!

I upgraded to 0.2.7.1 with BiH quickly because it fixed the rip bug. Swampy upgraded more slowly, and then downgraded when players complained. Afaik, he stuck with 0.2.7.0 until he finally quit hosting, but he may have gone to 0.2.8 when it came out.

Joe and I stuck with 0.2.7.1, and Joe managed to tweak rubber a lot more than I did, so much so that he didn't want to upgrade to 0.2.8. ;) I'd managed to get rubber to where I thought the server was fun, even if it wasn't the same as it had been. Change can be very good.

It's possible Shrunkland was born during the brief period Swampy was running 0.2.7.1. I don't really know.

I have to admit I really liked the Crack Pipe, I think that was my favorite server, of the ones I ran. So if I start another server, naturally I'll want to start there and move on from there.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Yeah, I know Swampy ultimately handed over both Swampland and Shrunkland to others to host. Swampland 0.2.7.1 was probably the longest running, to my recollection (certainly from the time I started playing), and lasted well into the 0.2.8.x era. I believe it was the last version Swampy himself was hosting (unless he did a 0.2.8.x for awhile that I missed). But whatever; that's not really what the little debate was about, none of which is really all that relevant now anyway.

With respect to Shrunkland, its history was as I described. In fact, unless I'm totally confabulating this, I was there its first day (Fonkay too). Swampy came into either BiH or Swampland (I think the former) and said he'd put up this new server and could we come check it out. I think I may do a little mini-history in another thread later, because I have some other stuff I want to point out as well, and bringing it into the what's going to happen with it now. That, once Gene's got me set up with his control panel dealio.

Size-wise, between my local game (where I currently have BiH settings installed), and the Shrunkland online right now, the latter definitely looks smaller. Both BiH and Shrunk say SIZE_FACTOR is -3 (this through console, as well as settings files I have of each), but REAL_REANA_SIZE_FACTOR differs. My recollection tells me BiH was a little bigger than Shrunkland. Oh well, I dunno. (Swampy's apparently taken down the 0.2.7.1 server he was running, so couldn't check that.)

Yeah, I noticed there's BiH settings included, as well as on this forum, plus ones you sent me long ago. "Smoke me a kipper..." Heh, don't know if you saw the post where I mentioned going into LukeJr's demo server awhile back and quickly entering in all the BiH settings I could recall—I even put that as the round center message. Where'd that come from, anyway?

But, now to the main point that started all this:

I understand your objection to using the Breakfast in Hell name outright. Hell, as can be seen in the thread where Gene was asking for the Shrunkland settings, I initially had some reservations if not outright objections to his bringing back Shrunkland. There were several reasons for that, but the relevant one here being that I still feel a sort of partial "ownership" of that server given all the time and effort I put into working over the settings with the transition to 0.2.8.2, and then the moderating.

So, yeah, I say we go with Bebop in Harlem. I do want to make a couple minor tweaks, anyway, as noted previously, so it wasn't going to be an exact clone, regardless (not to mention being in 0.2.8.x). Hopefully the old faithful will like what I do, though (and I'll be open to feedback if not). And then I'll just put a comment in the description something along the lines of "A remake of Breakfast in Hell." Maybe a tagline noting when it was originally established (e.g., "est. ____ by Lucifer"). Do you have any recollection when that was?

Sound good?

Hmm, I look at those AI names and don't know why I thought they were Metal Bands. I think maybe I conflated Suicidal Thoughts with Suicidal Tendencies, heh. Methinks renaming them with old bebop greats will still be good. I wonder if I might come up with a good jazz-related variation on the "Smoke me a kipper..." line, too.

Once Gene's got the server and myself set up to admin it, there are a few other things I want to get back with you on.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

"Smoke me a kipper" is ripped straight out of Red Dwarf, another BBC sci-fi comedy show. It's well worth downloading (and since it's BBC, the idealistic conflicts we normally have over downloading shit don't apply). It's Ace Rimmer's tagline, which I think was brought in in series 3, but I could be wrong about that, haven't consulted any real sources, just shooting from the hip here.

If you want a year, it's either '04 or '05, I don't really remember which. I'd have to spend some time counting years to get it. I know it was after I moved back to Austin, but within the first year I was here, so it should be fairly easy to track down. You don't really need to say "est. yadayada", though. If you really want it, I'll come up with it, just say the word.

I have a vague memory of Swampy asking me if I minded if he pimped a new server in mine, but to be honest, I got so many people asking if I cared that it could have not happened. For the record, I didn't care, and still don't care.

But like I said, I have absolutely no objections to you guys making a clone, I only have objections to anything which might indicate that I'm running the server, since I'm not actually running it. So whatever level of publicity you need to attract the old players that played there, take it, just don't mislead them into thinking it's my server again.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Oh sure, I had no intention of misleading anyone; quite the opposite—you see my own concerns with a similar thing earlier in this thread.

I thought the "originally established" bit would just be nice to indicate it's a remake of an older server, and to give credit. I was thinking I would put a similar note about Shrunkland. For that matter, anyone have a clue when 'goshdarn first popped up?
eggcozy
Average Program

Post by eggcozy »

Breakfast of Champions came from the Vonnegut book. Just fyi