Codenaming the releases

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
philippeqc
Long Poster - Project Developer - Sage

Codenaming the releases

Post by philippeqc »

Hi,

In some other discussion, I started to build a road map of features to come for AA. To keep things simples I went with a letter system to label the releases. Lucifer proposed to name each releases. So here I am, asking you if you like that idea, and what theme you'd like to see used for it.

Maybe because of the influence of the alphabetic order I started, I thought it could be interesting if the titles picked from the theme choosen would be put in alphabetical order, question of making it easy to know that "Commander potato" is an earlier release than "Lieutenant tomato".

What are your thought on this?

-ph
Canis meus id comedit.
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

I don't really thing it's necessary, but that's just me.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

It's not necessary, but it's fun and everybody can contribute. I'd like to suggest star constellations:
Andromeda-Bootes-Casiopeia-Draco-Eridanus-Fornax
I hope I chose those that are reasonably close to the equator whenever possible so everyone not stuck in (ant)arctica has a chance of knowing them. A full list for alternatives is here:
http://www.astro.wisc.edu/~dolan/conste ... _list.html
Sub-Releases can get the Alpha-Beta-Gamma prefixes of the stars of the respective constellations, and of course the star's name.
philippeqc

Post by philippeqc »

Like the stars idea.

I was thinking to use the same notation independantly of if it is a major-minor or mini release for simplicity. It's not like if we make that many releases ;) Even at a whooping 6 releases (all included) per year, its still valid for 4 years.

Both alternatives are debatable.

-ph
Canis meus id comedit.
klax
Project Developer

Post by klax »

I also like the constellations idea with alpha/beta/gamma lol

We will see here in forums talking about Andromeda's releases like these:
AA Andromeda Alpha: AAAA lol
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Come on, this can't be the only suggestion.

Philosophers: Aristotle, Bacon, Conway, Descartes,...
Trees: (Could not turn up an alphabetical list and don't know enough tree names)
Just random things ending in -tron: Cyclotron, Electron, Magnetron, neutron, synchrotron...
Microscopic life forms: Amoeba, Bacteria, ....
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

Computer manufacturers? Acer, B_, Compaq, Dell, etc.. I'm sure there are ones starting with B, only I can't think of any right now...
Your_mom
Match Winner

Post by Your_mom »

we could name each release after a ferocius cat, tiger lion jaguer liger...

or we could do something like name each release after a song from a band
for instance if we went with ronnie james dio
-stand up and shout -holy diver -gypsy -caught in the middle
mabey we should go with a more universal kind of band like the beatles or something though, release code name -yellow submarine

mabey video game consoles -2600 - intellivison -3do -master system -genises -nes -snes -saturn

mabey planets in our solar system
-mars -venus -mercury -saturn -jupiter
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

Your_mom wrote:we could name each release after a ferocius cat, tiger lion jaguer liger...
Apple would probably send us a cease & decist then sue us...
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

Your_mom wrote:we could name each release after a ferocius cat, tiger lion jaguer liger...
Sounds familiar to me... (OS X major releases: 10.0 Cheetah, 10.1 Puma, 10.2 Jaguar, 10.3 Panther, 10.4 Tiger)
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

How about pick a word like "excrement", and then list all the languages in alphabetical order. Then each release will be codenamed with the current language's translation of the word "excrement"?

Actually, I think that "excrement" would get old after awhile, but picking another word to carry through the languages would probably just be cool, like "armageddon", or something.

Names of tron characters? There should be enough to last a year or so.

That's it for me, heh.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Aha, nursery rhymes!

Hmmm, I tried to type out the example using the old lady in the shoe and it didn't work. Hmm....

- Iron Maiden
philippeqc

Post by philippeqc »

Song from a band: The Beatles! Everybody will be able to recognise that.
- A Hard Day's Night
- Back In The USSR
- Can't Buy Me Love

The ones that are missing are Q, U, V, X and Z. Not a real problem in my eyes.
All of the beatles songs: http://www.stevesbeatles.com/songs/. Now its just to pick the most known.

Fruits!
-Ananas
-Banan
-Citron

-ph
Canis meus id comedit.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Ok, I call an end to brainstorming, unless someone just has a killer idea. Here is a summary of suggestions:

* Star Constellations (est 4 years worth of codenames)
* Philosophers
* Trees
* Words ending in tron
* Microscopic life forms
* Computer Manufacturers
* Ferocious cat
* Songs from a band
* Video Game consoles
* Planets in our solar system (debatably 9)
* Linguistics (pick a word and use the same word from different languages)
* Tron characters (you know, from the movie)
* Nursery Rhymes
* Fruits

Anybody want to make a poll out of it? :)

I'm kinda surprised I didn't mention mental disorders, but I won't add it to the list since I called an end to brainstorming before I thought of it. :)

Alphabetic schemes gives the estimated 4 years. Ferocious cats is dangerous because Apple already uses it (yes, there is a real trademark problem here), but other ferocious animals are certainly available. I suspect anything depending on using manufacturer names will suffer the same legal liability problem. Names ending in tron and the linguistic one have the advantage of containing very large sets of potential codenames. Tron characters is the opposite. Nursery rhymes, when expanded to include translations and all cultural nursery rhymes has the same benefit, but potential difficulty in coming up with a name that's suitably short for regular conversation. Songs from a band is a virtually unlimited set when you consider how many different bands there are to choose from and how often we can change bandnames. Philosophers will probably generate lots of interesting offtopic discussions, whereas trees will probably get old quickly (at least, it would to me :) ). Microscopic life forms has numerous humorous possibilities (humourous for some of you). And I won't mention the obvious bad pun of using Fruits (although it would be entertaining to have an Elton John codename using that convention).

- Iron Maiden
ROCK
Average Program

Post by ROCK »

how about chemical elements, or precious stones, or greek gods, or we could write out the version number in binary, or would that be more confusing??? becuase if it is, we could always use BCD :lol: