thats no joke .... TRON FOR XBOX 360

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
~*PsYkO*~

Post by ~*PsYkO*~ »

z-man wrote:Happy 0x100th post, Psyko! :)
They were 100 amazing posts too xD
radian
Core Dumper

that takes ma back

Post by radian »

May i .Yup there was indeed a game years ago..infact yonks ago in my local arcade that i used to play and from what ive seen of the screenies it looks like an update of it ,, wow id,e love to track down that arcade machine ,it was much simpler graphics than this xbox version but the cabinet used to have amazing original film shots all over it ,great
i just love it
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

This thread is utterly confounding to me. Let me know if I've figured this out:

Safariskater, among others, don't realise that there was an official coin-op arcade game based on the movie Tron, put out by Midway in 1982. They may not even realise that there was a movie. (Further, they don't realise that there have been dozens upon dozens of light-cycle, snake, and "beam wars" style games developed since then.)

So, kid logs onto Xbox Live, sees a reissue of the original Tron game (released Jan. 10th, 2007), and assumes it's a stripped-down version of Armagetron Advanced? Is that it?

I'm not being a smartass; I'm genuinely confused.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

I guess you got it about right.
root down
Round Winner

Post by root down »

i always thought the movie was based on armagetron
stakes is high
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

root down wrote:i always thought the movie was based on armagetron
Hahaha, that's hilarious root. Although, since the concept of the lightcycle game has evolved into armagetron style play, it would be neat to see a movie sequel with a story line that included game variations like fortress and sumo (assuming there would be lightcycles in a sequel, which there probably wouldn't even if hell did freeze over and a sequel was made. Than again hollywood has no issues exploiting my childhood and they've pretty much run out of ideas anyway).
Infamous
Average Program

Post by Infamous »

Phytotron wrote:This thread is utterly confounding to me. Let me know if I've figured this out:

Safariskater, among others, don't realise that there was an official coin-op arcade game based on the movie Tron, put out by Midway in 1982. They may not even realise that there was a movie. (Further, they don't realise that there have been dozens upon dozens of light-cycle, snake, and "beam wars" style games developed since then.)
I've met quite a few europeans who had never heard of the movie until after playing AA, maybe it wasn't as big a movie in europe as it was in the USA of America?

and if you think about the age of a lot of AA players, the fact that some of them may not have heard of a movie years before they were born.... isn't that "confounding" is it?
Homer: Uh...it's like...did anyone see the movie "Tron"?
Dr. Hibbert: No.
Lisa: No.
Marge: No.
Wiggum: No.
Bart: No.
Patty: No.
Wiggum: No.
Ned: No.
Selma: No.
Prof. Frink: No.
Rev. Lovejoy: No.
Wiggum: Yes. I mean -- um, I mean, no. No, heh.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Well, as it happened, I did some housesitting for a relative a couple months ago. He has an Xbox 360. I looked in the Live Arcade. (Downloaded a bunch of free trials of old-school coin-op games; pretty fun.) There was Tron. It was under the heading of "coin-op classics," if I recall the title correctly. I think I recall that in the description it mentioned "Disney movie" (could be mistaken). I know that when it loaded, it gave Disney splash screen(s) and said "insert coin 1." Not to mention the three games that have no relation to light cycles. Someone is rather dense, apparently.

On a side note: Microsoft is evil. Damn hoarders.