Petition

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
~*PsYkO*~

Petition

Post by ~*PsYkO*~ »

I'm going to start a Petition (if possible) to switch the server settings of Bugfarm Elimination Sumo with Fortress Cafe. The reason being that Fortress Cafe is absolutely ridiculous for American players. Pings soar 100+ with some of us, but mostly a steady increase of 50-60 ping and a immense difference in the amount of lag, sliding, and bug problems. I only notice two American players out of all that I know that I don't see a difference with: apparition and whatup. Personally, in Cafe I range from 220 to 280 and in Bugfarm Sumo I get anywhere from 130-140.

I understand that most players could care less because for the most part, fortress players are European..Probably a 4:1 ratio from my estimations. I think it is important to play on a fairer playing field. Normally I would play on a different server when I don't get a good ping or continuously slide but in this case it is the only fortress server that everyone goes to because Europeans (from what I've received) haven't seen a big difference. Plus if anything can be done, you don't have to hear us whine every 2 seconds ;)

Or if possible could the host of Bugfarm make a fortress server?

-PsYkO
DDMJ
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by DDMJ »

Psyko, it's most likely your ISP. I've seen you with anywhere from 130-250 ping in Café.

Server seems the same to me...just as crazy as ever :P.
madmax
Round Winner

Post by madmax »

I have two thing in mind at the moment.

First is that although Bugfarm is a very good server, changing it to fortress wouldn't be such a great thing, because it's the only sumo server that gets good attendance, and has a very specific (and fun) mode.

Second one, I think more importantly than the high ping, someone should take a look at all those strange things that have been happening.
Yes, the teleporting, the trails coming out of nowhere and the likes.
Perhaps investigating that could prove itself valuable to the game development.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Petition all you want, but for reasons that I explained earlier, I won't host another non-tournament fortress server on that computer.
DDMJ

Post by DDMJ »

DDMJ wrote:Server seems the same to me
Hmm, I take that back. My ping is kinda stable, but at least 3 times in the past 5 minutes, everyone has "stopped" moving on the grid for about 5-6 seconds. Then, everyone jumps super far ahead and the lag-o-meter polygons take up almost the whole grid...then everything is normal again :?.
~*PsYkO*~

Post by ~*PsYkO*~ »

DDMJ wrote:Psyko, it's most likely your ISP. I've seen you with anywhere from 130-250 ping in Café.

Server seems the same to me...just as crazy as ever :P.
Well if it is my ISP, then how come every other server is normal (and even I've been getting better connection with other servers) except for cafe and CT Wild Fortress. WF is a deathzone for me lol.. I can handle that cuz it's not that important for me to play there in the first place.

Max - I agree but I think the solution to those problems are years in the future.

z-man - Yeh I don't know any of the talks about your capabilities are anything I'm just complaining :P
Ricochet
Round Winner

Post by Ricochet »

youre probably the only person - americans included - that thinks cafe is worse than bugfarm (no offence intended to zman with that). Its just the way it is with the weird slides and walljumps.
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

PsYkO wrote:Well if it is my ISP, then how come every other server is normal (and even I've been getting better connection with other servers) except for cafe and CT Wild Fortress.
Keep in mind that there are many ways a packet can be routed. It depends on the location of each endpoint, the parties the endpoints are connected to, the parties they are connected to, etc.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
madmax
Round Winner

Post by madmax »

PsYkO wrote:Max - I agree but I think the solution to those problems are years in the future.
I don't remember they happening a while ago, or at least, not as often :?
Winner of the How Many Pages Before The Lock® competition and a grand total of 18,93 euros in Euromillions.
Van-hayes
Round Winner

Post by Van-hayes »

Well if it is my ISP, then how come every other server is normal (and even I've been getting better connection with other servers) except for cafe and CT Wild Fortress. WF is a deathzone for me lol.. I can handle that cuz it's not that important for me to play there in the first place.
If I'm remembering correctly, both cafe and CTWF are hosted by the same company, Hertzer I think, so it stands to reason if you have problems in one you are going to have problems in both.

A few months ago I had 250+ ping in cafe, CTWF, chico styball, and I think another one, for about a week straight. My ping in every other server was normal but only those ones were high, it fixed itself so I have no idea why it happened.
You've gone too far, turn back!
wrtlprnft

Post by wrtlprnft »

Yes, CTWF and café are both hosted at hetzner. I noticed that the connection isn't always constant. Sometimes it just rocks, sometimes everyone complains and even I get annoying lag, being about 150 km or 6 hops away from that company (looking at the output traceroute just gave me, it looks like my ISP and hetzner have a direct connection) and 9 hops from the server.
Live with it or play on DDL.
There's no place like ::1
oO.k3nNy
Average Program

Post by oO.k3nNy »

Ricochet wrote:youre probably the only person - americans included - that thinks cafe is worse than bugfarm (no offence intended to zman with that). Its just the way it is with the weird slides and walljumps.
i totally disagree on that.
although i have a <50 ping on cafe the weirdest things seem to happen.
to sum up some i can remember:
-screen freezing like durka described before now and then
-lag out of the server with a ping everyone would wish he has
-gaps in walls occor although never ever anyone grinded into it and died
-you are defending, covering the whole zone and zap suddenly u only have the half covered (even the enemy players laughed about that, because they saw it happen while playing!)
-you are defending, square like. there is a 2 vs 1 situation, one enemy is grinding beside you and when u turn (you are inside squaring) u die into his wall, because he teleported into the zone, although there was no hole. ;D still have to laugh about that.
so all in all: the weirdest things happen there :)

so to bugfarm: the only problem i have there is computer based: when there are like 12+ players sumoing i have an extreme fps drop.
~*PsYkO*~

Post by ~*PsYkO*~ »

wrtlprnft wrote:Yes, CTWF and café are both hosted at hetzner. I noticed that the connection isn't always constant. Sometimes it just rocks, sometimes everyone complains and even I get annoying lag, being about 150 km or 6 hops away from that company (looking at the output traceroute just gave me, it looks like my ISP and hetzner have a direct connection) and 9 hops from the server.
Live with it or play on DDL.
Can you think of anything say 3 weeks ago, give or take a couple days, that would diminish server quality?
Hoax
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Hoax »

^^^ What kenny said ^^^
levi

Post by levi »

move to Europe and stop bugging server admins with this.

seriously just live with it.

The best defender IMO ever, SkiP, is American
hold the line