Going through walls?

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
Mistacool

Going through walls?

Post by Mistacool »

Hello everyone. I am pretty new to Armagetron, and I have witnessed a few wierd things happening. What I am most confused about is, i have seen lots of people go through walls. I heard on some severs, that if you go really fast you can go through, but these guys were doing it at any speed. So I asked them how they did it. One of them replied that he was using a bind. Another said he was using a glitch to get through walls. So is this a fair tactic, or are these guys hacking or cheating in some way?
Lucifer
Project Developer

Re: Going through walls?

Post by Lucifer »

Mistacool wrote:Hello everyone. I am pretty new to Armagetron, and I have witnessed a few wierd things happening. What I am most confused about is, i have seen lots of people go through walls. I heard on some severs, that if you go really fast you can go through, but these guys were doing it at any speed. So I asked them how they did it. One of them replied that he was using a bind. Another said he was using a glitch to get through walls. So is this a fair tactic, or are these guys hacking or cheating in some way?
It's officially cheating under most circumstances. The going through walls tricks takes advantage of a bug in the program that you'll find more often referred to as bouncing.

Here's what happens when you bounce. To bounce, you're right next to a wall. Then you make two really quick turns, one towards the wall and then one away from it. As a result of the first turn, the one towards the wall, your cycle is turned sideways. Then the rubber stuff kicks in. During this time, it appears that your position on the grid "drifts" somewhat. So the second turn, the one away from the wall, places you in a different place than you intended.

And a break is made in your wall a tthat point, like you had never turned. By exploiting this bug in a certain way, it's possible to trick the game into bouncing you onto the other side of a wall. Using a macro or something makes it something you can do at will.

The only way to use this trick that I know of that's not considered cheating is in creating a slingshot. You do two quick turns to turn around, bounce, and then you have a nice little tunnel that if you can get into will give you a nice boost in speed.

Forgot to add, when I see people doing this on my server I generally kick them. First a warning, then a kick. Afterwards I kick on sight. If they still show up and do it, I ban them. Have only banned two people so far, and one of those two is the first person I know of to use the bounce to pass through walls.
root down
Round Winner

Post by root down »

or, more likely:
sometimes when people do a whole bunch of rapid turns, or if the game is lagging really bad, your computer will display fake walls, that are not actually there. they steal your rubber, but you can drive through them. couple this with the fact that you're new, and most of the assholes wouldn't pass up the chance to **** with your head, and i think you have a more reasonable explanation. i have yet to see a person who could willfully bounce through walls coming perpendicular to them, and bouncing parallel to a wall is hardly to your advantage. unless you're making a speed tunnel....but that's not what this refers to.
also, i didn't read lucifer's post.
stakes is high
root down
Round Winner

Post by root down »

what you previously wrote here is not for you to decide. it's my decision, and i'ved decided on it.- tank
stakes is high
SER
Average Program

Post by SER »

well.. there is a way to pass trough walls, either if you are going perpendicular or parallel to a wall... you only need some rubber...
root down
Round Winner

Post by root down »

yeah but i haven't seen anyone that was able to do it on command, at least not on breakfasties or ish
stakes is high
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

root down wrote:yeah but i haven't seen anyone that was able to do it on command, at least not on breakfasties or ish
Focus
SER
Average Program

Post by SER »

It's kinda hard.. but not that hard.. I could show u but I dun want to get kicked/banned...
ishAdmin
Match Winner

Post by ishAdmin »

I don't remember who it was, but I did see someone do a perpenticular wall pass through twice in one round on purpose. They didn't stick around, but I don't doubt they could do it more. This *might* have been before I removed the brake. I can't be certain about that though.

I think if you use a macro program, these things are possible. I don't believe it's easily done without one. At least not on ish.
n54
MVP

Post by n54 »

i've done a perpendicular wall pass (other players wall) by mistake since i started playing again, and not on a wallpassing server (like tank's), i have no clue how it happened but it's possible

i had low speed and there was only one other player on the grid (the server shouldn't be under heavy lag or similar) and simply did not turn - don't remember the name of the server though, i'm wondering if it might have been breakfast in hell (non-team) or armagoshdarnish
eggcozy
Average Program

Post by eggcozy »

High rubber and slow speed can contribute to this. I think it is sort of like ripping (breaking out of the outer wall), except you go through a bike wall instead. I can do this on a local server with the right settings. Occasionally you end up with these "invisible" walls that are more like outer walls in the middle of play.

I think it might be a tad "harder" on breakfast servers because of the speed settings ... most importantly the accel.

I think the algorithm for rubber really needs to be closely looked at ... I need to get some time ... and learn some more C++
iceman
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Yorkshire, England. Quote: Its the fumes, they make one want to play

Post by iceman »

yes ive been looking closely at the gCycle.cpp file trying many experiments (well throwing out most of the code :lol: ) will let you guys know the outcome soon
Image He who laughs last, probably has a back-up
sorry about the large animated gif
SuPeRTaRD
Round Winner

Post by SuPeRTaRD »

yeh, its really easy to do locally, you just hit left & right at the same time about 3 or 4 times fast as you can right as you hit a wall..

on internet servers, its almost impossible to do on purpose without scripting it.

I've seen people drive thru thier own line on internet servers, like it was nothing.. like 20 times in 1 round..
(hehe the first time i saw that it pissed me off bad^)

I've only done it a few times on internet servers & mostly just freak accidents.. I've seen it happen alot when the bikes converge on the center of the grid at the same time at the beggining of a round.