PLayer name fonts?

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
Lucifer
Project Developer

PLayer name fonts?

Post by Lucifer »

Anybody happen to know what fonts are used for the player names in-game? Specifically the font used to show the scoreboard when you hit 'tab' to see it (default, yeah someone'll chime in to tell me they bound it somewhere else).
n54
MVP

Post by n54 »

yes i know

*now tries to remember* sorry i'm a bit tired (always)

there is another post somewhere where i've posted a few files of a new font, i'm sure you'll find them by searching and if you do you'll get the chance to try the fonts i've made that i now use as default... they might be at my site as well i don't remember (but i know they're somewhere here at the forum).

1 big font
1 small font

big font is used for in-game player names over bikes (as well as ingame centered messages like "round 1" and server messages, when you type in console or chat line, and in all the menues and the score table)

small font is used for displayed chat and displayed console commands.

>edit<
changing fonts is as simple as replacing the pictures the fonts are interpreted from - did this in that already referred to forum post
>/edit<

i stopped working on fonts for these reasons:
1. the definition of the graphics used for the small font is way too small (and this is totally unnecessary but the code needs to be changed). iceman was the first one to point this out ages ago if i remember correctly
2. as things are the big font would be equally useful for where the small font is used (the program takes the files and decides the size as it is)
3. the current size of the definition of the grpahics used for the big font should be the new small font and the new big font should have even larger filesize for increased detail
4. i can't change the code myself as my brain is mostly fried chips :D
5. i have no idea which (if any) character-standard (like ascii, iso-#### or unicode-# etc.) the program is meant to follow. the files as they are are mostly based on english and german ascii-chart it seems but even though some people manage to use ascii-codes in-game afaik i've never been able to myself (tried ascii and hex notation)

there might not be a need for more than one font at all actually but it would be nice for design reasons to be able to give between-rounds messages and server messages their own seperate look (i'm all for having all the text being defineable as to which font-images to use in a seperate text-file in for example the "movie-pack" folder, this requires some coding as well, such a text-file could also define sizes and placement/justification)
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Ack, as much as I enjoyed reading your post, maybe I can ask my question better. :)

I want to know the names of the fonts so I can use them on my stat page. You see, right now my stat page is all in whatever font it's displayed and many of the player names look wrong. So I'd like to use the same font that Armagetron uses (or the closest I can get in a web browser and still be standards-compliant) so they'll look right. I don't know anything about fonts besides Arial and Helvetica are the same font made by different people, and Verdana is a good font for sidebars. Oh, and the Audacity logo is done with Onyx. That's the extent of my knowledge of fonts.

So, does anybody know the names of the fonts, or at least how I can find them? Something I can use in a font-face property?
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

I don't think this font has a name... In fact, it's not even really a font. You'll need to use a font creation program to make the font from the images... Then you'll have to get everyone that visits your site to download the font...
Evil Inside
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Evil Inside »

The 2 font files in armagetron are just bitmap png images containing the character definitions

Off the top of my head i think they are named font.png and font_s.png
Keep your friends close and your enemys closer
http://evil.3d.net
SER
Average Program

Post by SER »

"OCR A std" font is very similar to the armagetron font. Image
Evil Inside
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Evil Inside »

i altered the fonts on my game to 80's style arcade fonts

i'll post my 2 font files and the source code patch here soon (when i find it on my drive)
Keep your friends close and your enemys closer
http://evil.3d.net
n54
MVP

Post by n54 »

Aha i totally misunderstood :|

Ser do you know where Lucifer (or anyone else) could get that font?

As for new fontimages that's always good to share because i think most people aren't too aware it can be done (or they just don't bother). I think i included a "template" for creating the fonts in that post somewhere, so it's done (or can be done) a bit faster.
SER
Average Program

Post by SER »

I think it comes with any adobe product... or maybe here.