Legit cheating in the ladle

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
omega
On Lightcycle Grid

Legit cheating in the ladle

Post by omega »

[22] Gothica --> Legit: in console set ping_charity 999999999
[13] Legit --> Gothica: yeah
[3] ~*HeLlBlAdE*~: lol
[5] ~*SP*~Sp33d: nerd leavbe
[19] ~*SP*~viper~: am i 2 or 3 ?
[1] ~*SP*~oO.k3nNy: 3 xD
[19] ~*SP*~viper~: ok
[3] ~*HeLlBlAdE*~: 3
[14] ~*SP*~Sasha --> Teammates: ~*WhAtUp*~, Now my place is 4th
[22] Gothica --> Legit: give them extra lag
[22] Gothica: lol
[13] Legit --> Gothica: do it when sp is attacking cus i hate htem
[22] Gothica --> Legit: just set it now, it lasts till u change it back to 100
[13] Legit --> Gothica: just set it when sp is attacking
[22] Gothica --> Legit: if u set it on, it stays on untill u change it
[13] Legit --> Gothica: so yeah only do it when sp attacks
[13] Legit --> Gothica: so tui dosnt get it
[22] Gothica --> Legit: nopw
[0] ~*SP*~ 4 core dumped TuI ~ 7 for 2 points.
[4] TuI~4 --> Teammates: HELP DEF! HELP DEF!
[4] TuI~4 --> Teammates: DEF DOWN! DEF DOWN!
[0] ~*WhAtUp*~ core dumped TuI ~ 6 for 2 points.
[15] TuI ~ 7: Wow this is so ******* laggy
[4] TuI~4: wow this is laggy

just some of the logs i found from the final against tui......

i think he deserves community punishment
wrtlprnft
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by wrtlprnft »

Oh, that trick.
I don't think this causes any lag, it's a placebo effect. But alone the idea should be punished.
There's no place like ::1
omega
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by omega »

yep

when he did it though immediately after ppl cryed lag
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

What kind of community punishment would you suggest?

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
omega
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by omega »

banning from the next ladle or something

maybe banning frm certain servers. Some of the stuff he has said has been racist and disgusting and now he tries this.....
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Well, at least you have realistic "punishments" in mind. While what you're after isn't up to me, then, here's something to consider.

Punishment doesn't work. At least, if you want long-term changes in someone's behavior, punishment is a null operation. I'd suggest taking the approach of trying to solve a problem, where punishment might be a tool to effect short-term gains, but a more long-term approach is needed to make a lasting solution.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
oO.k3nNy
Average Program

Post by oO.k3nNy »

i think expelling from the next (few) ladles is an option.
though i think its quite dissappointing that some cheat or try to at the ladle. i dont like cheaters, doesnt matter which game. its something normally only the noobs need, but well ok.
still my thought about this is that no one exepct the teams/clans who are playing and their subs + the admin & recorder should be able to join a ladle match in future. in that case no spectators at all anymore.
DDMJ
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by DDMJ »

LOL!

Setting ping_charity using console commands only works if you are in Local Game. It is a command an admin can use, but having an individual player do it, does nothing to the server. If Legit purposely started downloading pr0n, then we could make a big deal.
HEXadecimal
Core Dumper

Post by HEXadecimal »

you are only cheating if you get caught.

make security tighter and if they still cheat they deserve the win. lol
~*PsYkO*~

Post by ~*PsYkO*~ »

DDMJ wrote:LOL!

Setting ping_charity using console commands only works if you are in Local Game. It is a command an admin can use, but having an individual player do it, does nothing to the server. If Legit purposely started downloading pr0n, then we could make a big deal.
It's the principle of it. If a person stole what they thought was really expensive but in turn it cost nothing..would you consider that person not a stealer?

I have a roommate for my apartment..I went an hour north to visit family for a night and he was aware of this..But I have a friend that works for UPS and needs to get up at 3am..I had a party that afternoon-night anyways so I told him he could crash. My roommate comes in (butt-naked too lol) and comes in my closet and takes something. I confronted him and he's like "yeh i had the runs and needed toilet paper." My big thing is the principle of it..toilet paper is butt cheap (no pun intended) but you come in my room and you take something..doesn't matter if it's a penny or a 20 dollar bill..You don't do that.

Even if technically speaking that effect didn't do anything, it is the principle.

I personally don't care about it, not much of the community does care about him..He's pretty much replaced nightmare on everyone's shit list.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Some more detail:

Code: Select all

[22] Gothica --> Z-Man: any luck on solving my ping_charity bug?
[10] Z-Man: Gothica: ah, the assertion? No, I haven't looked at that yet, but it will be obvious :)
[22] Gothica --> Z-Man: its SuBlImInAl.FreQ btw, i reported to  joda a while back
Also note that both Gothica and Legit were spectators at that time, so whatever they did was not cheating, but at most disturbing the game. And there is no proof anything was even attempted; the server does not record, and the logs don't show individual ping charity settings.

At the point of the exchange cited above, I was thinking he was referring to a different bug then, the one that makes clients build from the Trunk crash if they are logged with as client number > 16. We were discussing the real bug report in this thread in the developers only section: http://forums.armagetronad.net/viewtopic.php?t=9971
Tank: you can move that thread into public view now. I don't mind making public what I said about Sub there back then, I'd say this here proves I'm right.

On the effect of the "cheat": there's none. Durka is a bit wrong; the console command is not admin only, but it is only that an unused (at that moment) variable is changed on the client. Absolutely nothing happens on the server at the moment you enter the console command. Only at the beginning of the next round, the variable may be transferred to the server, where it has no effect either, it is clamped by the other players' ping charity values. What does happen is that the entering causes a small hickup in the rendering on the client, giving you the illusion that lots of things happen at once.

So, what we have here is this:

(Beavis and Butthead are watching a soccer game on TV.)
Beavis: Heh Heh Heh.
Butthead: Huh Huh. Dammit, this sucks.
Beavis: Heh Heh. Yeah, change it! Change it! Heh Heh.
Butthead: The remote it broken. Aaaaaa!
Beavis: NoNoNo! Change it! Change it!
Butthead: You know, huh huh, if you throw something at the TV, you can cause an earthquake?
Beavis: Really? Heh heh.
Butthead: Yeah. Huh Huh. I read about it. Huh huh. In a book, or something.
Beavis: Heh Heh. Okay.
(Beavis grabs the remote and throws it at the TV. It shakes a little.)
Beavis: Whoa! Cool. It worked! Butthead, you're smart!
(The two spent the rest of the episode searhing for a replacement of the remote which is now broken for good.)

And this small mockery is all the punishment you'll get me to approve of. Stupidity is its own punishment. Come on: Gothica and Legit are in the same situation, both are spectators. Gothica tells Legit to do something that would be "fun". Anyone with half a brain would have asked "Oh yeah? Why don't you do it? How do I know this does not disrupt the game in a way that can clearly tracked back to me and I get all the trouble?".

And I'll try to monitor private chat from now on. I didn't do so in the past because I already have to care for the recording client, the regular client I use to monitor the game myself (It's essential that I don't mess with the recorder) and watch for uninvited players, the shell window where I start new recording clients, the command entering window where I set the messages, start the game, and kick the uninvited players with. Oh well, another window to watch. I'm against banning or silencing spectators completely, spectators are part of the fun. But even with no effect on the gameplay, they can influence the game with private (or public) messages.
oO.k3nNy
Average Program

Post by oO.k3nNy »

i partially agree with u zman. but after legits tons of hates statements against sp and gothica playing for tui (not at that moment, but later, so he was in the tui squad), i dont think they were "neutral" spectators. so still if it didnt succeed (the "disturbing"), they still tried to.
Zapple
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Zapple »

HEXadecimal wrote:you are only cheating if you get caught.

make security tighter and if they still cheat they deserve the win. lol
That is one of the stupidest things I have ever seen someone post... cheaters never deserve to win.
HEXadecimal
Core Dumper

Post by HEXadecimal »

zapple while this is true in theory. just a while back double binding used to be considered cheating, and now its more common then non binders. granted not to the extent of some hacks ive seen, but still a mod that not all players now how to do it
oO.k3nNy
Average Program

Post by oO.k3nNy »

HEXadecimal wrote:zapple while this is true in theory. just a while back double binding used to be considered cheating, and now its more common then non binders. granted not to the extent of some hacks ive seen, but still a mod that not all players now how to do it
i am one of them i dont wanna know how to do it, because i reject to do it :) i love my fingers.