the REAL problem

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
boobert
On Lightcycle Grid

the REAL problem

Post by boobert »

all right, i think the real problem in the game is brakes
brakes.... man i hate em
im sick of being 180'd at the wall(when brakes are used only of course), sick of watching people get closer and closer to a wall using brakes rather than just straighht grinding, im REALLY sick of watching people get out of a box i put them in cuz they just slam on the brakes and wait til my wall disappears(or get out of anyones box for that matter) and im really REALLY sick of waiting for the next round a really long time cuz someone is driving around really slowly, usually away from others, and trapping themselves, but staying alive because of brakes
i REALLY HATE brakes, please cool admins, set brakes to 0
Frequency

Post by Frequency »

That's why I love eggcozy's server. :D

I think brakes suck too, but that's just because I never used them to begin with. It's just another technique you use to live longer. :?
Freq
Zapple
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Zapple »

Ya, I dont have a problem with brakes as long as they have a brake deplete of like 20 sec.
ishAdmin
Match Winner

Post by ishAdmin »

Brakes deplete pretty quick on goshdarnish. The same as on original goshdarn. So the brakes won't save folks forever.
Yaza Yamagotchi
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Yaza Yamagotchi »

they also regenerate - it does not need to save them forever - just long enough to run away and regen their brakes so that they can repeat the cycle.

I happen to agree with boobert on this one - I get annoyed when a cyclists gameplan is to run away and force people to either ignore them and let the round continue indefinitely or chase them and die because of constantly being forced to take the low ground.

In the worst cases - the coward who is running will force the 'chaser' into outgrinding them at the wall - at which point they will 180 (sometimes multiple times) deeper into the wall - killing the player who is already disadvantaged by having to take the low ground - when your chasing - you go alot faster and you cannot wait around and regen your brakes/rubber or you lose them and have to start chasing from square 1

The ability to turn towards a wall you are grinding and go deeper/180 on someone is the worst aspect of the game because it promotes the 'I will run away until someone gets bored enough to chase me into a position where I will be able to kill them' style of play.

The game would be more balanced if it was impossible to adjust a grind.
The 'bore everyone into chasing you' style of play may still have an advantage - but it would be nowhere near as severe.
bored of amagetron?
try swron or one of the other fun games @ Arcade Games Online
llaffer2
Core Dumper

Post by llaffer2 »

Which is why my first favorite server when I started playing over a year ago was "All Speed No Brakes". I ran a clone server of that for a while.

Learned most of what I know today from that server and a darn(ish) server.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Brakes are for sissies. ;)

I don't even know what key triggers the brakes, since I remapped all my keybindings for better camera controls and I move my brake and promptly forgot where I put it. So whenever I want to hit my brakes now I have to look it up.

Dammit, there weren't any brakes in the movie, and those guys were trying not to kill each other, there's no reason for brakes here. ;)

Bottom line: There is no cycle damage that a respawning won't fix.
iceman
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Yorkshire, England. Quote: Its the fumes, they make one want to play

Post by iceman »

i think brakes are great esp. in tigers network classic play when someone draws a 3/4 grid box then holds the brakes and slowly spirals in whilst saying 'NOW IN CAMPER MODE'

well it gives norm somthing to do :lol: :lol:
Image He who laughs last, probably has a back-up
sorry about the large animated gif
ishAdmin
Match Winner

Post by ishAdmin »

I hear the concerns of boobert and yaza. If my experience though, I just don't come across many people who run all the time. It happens occasionally, but I wouldn't say it's epidemic. I've found that if a play does that, everyone gangs up on him and kills him right away. Then they get frustrated and leave. There is all the instant win zone comes on at the end.

I look at a runner as a different kind of challenge, and one that I am not afraid to take on. Grinding the wall is part of the game and I accept it. If they are too hard to kill, get creative is all I can say.

At the end of the day, different servers have different setups. Some people like brakes, some don't. Play the servers you like. I liked original goshdarn, and am doing my best to keep darnish as close to that experience as I can. Original goshdarn had brakes, so I'm going to have the same brakes. But I say it again, take the runner and wall grinders as a new challenge and find ways to stomp them. Most of you are much better players than I am, and I'm willing to take them on.
Yaza Yamagotchi
On Lightcycle Grid

I do not recall anyone saying it was an 'epidemic'- but since when has something needed to be an 'epidemic' for it too be discussed as an issue?
take the runner and wall grinders as a new challenge and find ways to stomp them.
I already do challenge people about as aggresively as I am likely too and while there are enough players alive - i do try to weed out the cowards at the start by looking for an opportunity to double team. When I see someone using that strategy I take them on with a passion ;)

I never said I was afraid of them - I said I was annoyed by them and the tools of the trade are my least favorite parts of the game. (double grinding in particular)
bored of amagetron?
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Yaza Yamagotchi wrote: I never said I was afraid of them - I said I was annoyed by them and the tools of the trade are my least favorite parts of the game. (double grinding in particular)
On that note, I have found that a fairly reliable way to get Yaza is to do exactly that. ;) You have to trick him to grind the outer wall and then drive him into a corner. It's only fairly reliable, however, if you're fairly good at sealing the corner at the kind of high speeds you have to be at to avoid getting passed by Yaza. I've tried going after him aggressively, and it can be pretty tricky, especially if *you're* the one doing the chasing, 'cause Yaza just has too much of the upper hand.

Ah well, sooner or later I'll have more confidence going head-to-head with him rather than trying to get him to chase me. I should note that if Yaza does get on your tail and you can't get him in 2 seconds you'll be facing him head-to-head whether you want to or not.

I have to agree with Yaza on the double-grinding thing. If you can't do it right the first time, back off and try again. Double-grinding is even more of a crutch than double-binding. :roll:
Yaza Yamagotchi
On Lightcycle Grid

Double Binding is the crutch of the weak and Double Grinding is the crutch of the cowardly!

:D :D :D :D

BTW - I have nothing against double/triple sealing (which is what I consider the corner move). I view a double grind as a 180 when your already grinding a wall.
bored of amagetron?
ishAdmin
Match Winner

Post by ishAdmin »

Maybe I shouldn't have used the word epidemic. I was just trying to get across that I don't find that situation really happens all that often when I'm in there. (which hasn't been very much lately).

To me, it's all fun. I'm not concerned if I die. I don't care where I am on the ladder, or match wins or any of it. As long as people are basically nice, having fun, I don't even care if they keep running. I'll even kill myself just to end a round if I think it will take too long to catch a runner.

And don't forget, if enough of you agree, you can always kick one of these guys (on many servers). Might not be sporting, but it's quite easily done nontheless.
Zapple
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Zapple »

You know what would be funny, the longer you hold down brake, its like hitting a wall, your rubber goes down, if you hold brake down to long, BOOM, your dead, muhahahaha
Yaza Yamagotchi
On Lightcycle Grid

hahahahahahahahaha

thats an evil idea :twisted:
bored of amagetron?