Double Binding is the crutch of the weak

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
Seleucus
Project Graphics Designer

Post by Seleucus »

we can figure out something.. not sure but we don't need you to change any server settings, while you guys use double binding to turn fast the people who odn't can turn almost as fast, just my moving their hand faster, higher rubber is fine, i don't care what settings are... i don' know bout othe team mates but alagan and i available alot of the time we just need to know in advance. alos i am bad so give me a weeks notice so i can play again and practice, since i have lost most of my ablities and refelxs.

-Seleucus
eggcozy
Average Program

Post by eggcozy »

Sweet, so next weekend. I'll start a new thread tomorrow.

Dbers that I recommend.
yaza, locutus, Kyle, GOD, help im a bug, Speedracer

These are people i havn't seen in a while, but I think double bind and are great players.
Jon, Jaber, fr00t

Are there any dber's I've left out? I've left out a number of people who I think are great, but I just cant remember if they double bind.

I greatly appologize if I've placed you on the db list and you in fact do not double bind :-)
Marrow wrote:The scoring system is very flawed. I think an appropriate solution would be to make the scoring less fluid - meaning more difficult to climb up or drop down the ladder. This is an easy change, as it should only involve changing the mathematical equations in the code that are associated with the scoring -- instead of losing whole points or gaining whole points, you'd gain or lose maybe 0.2 points.
I think one thing that holds too much weight in general is round wins. It just seems like ladder score is completely based on this.

Staying alive is definintely a skill, but I think the ability to kill others should be a defining factor.
Stats that I would like to see are total number of kills, kills/rounds played, and what I think would be the coolest stat in the world, kills per second.
Total number of 3 kill rounds, 4 kill rounds .. etc. would be pretty neat as well.
Zapple
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Zapple »

loops souble binds, he is prety good with it. And Doesnt McM?
Lackadaisical
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Lackadaisical »

I'm not sure but McM didnt seem to be very good when i played him half an hour ago.. definatly not on par with the likes of sel if you ask me.But don't you use double binding Zapple? And i've seen you mention more than a couple of times that you are really good... Why don't you join the frenzy? :D

Otoh eggcozy's list seems fine

[edit]

What about Brody?
nicolas.b
Grid Clown
Location: west philly Quotation: "Everybody's stuck being a moderator, but me. Sweet!"

Post by nicolas.b »

i double-bind now, just for the rekkid.

- Prayer 1 / TheMaskedMoron / Frogmouth Jones
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

I double bind...
Thak
Average Program

Post by Thak »

I'll play for the non double binders, if they need anymore players, and if it is at a good time, and if other teammates don't think I suck.
root down
Round Winner

Post by root down »

non dbers represent, but who wants root on their team anyways
stakes is high
boobert
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by boobert »

this whole thing is silly, who cares how many times people bind
i dont think either has an advantage either, both win a lot
there is a cricket living in my house and im goin nuts trying to find it and shut it up but it just KEEPS ON CHIRPING
the real problem in the game is.... brakes!!!!!!!!
eh, i dont think i really care actually, i hated it when people braked on 3darcadeish (2) i think was the name, cuz it was supposed to be fast and the drove around so DAMN SLOW, and im kinda rambling now cuz im in a typing mood
scoring system is gay, soccer is best sport ever
ishAdmin
Match Winner

Post by ishAdmin »

I care because people abuse double binding. They repeatedly 180 and lag the server for others. I don't think it's a fair 'tactic' to do this. How about I turn on my earthquake machine the next time I'm at a nicks game.

I used to have a lower cycle delay, but double bind abuse has forced me to increase it back to 0.05. I'm tempted to put it all way back up to 0.1. The lower cycle delay reduced the occurance of bounce, which I frankly find extremely annoying. Of course, there are ways you can prevent bounce from happening yourself, but it's not 100%.

If it was possible, I would turn ON a setting to prevent double binding. My only concern with this is people who legitimately have an issue like carpal tunnel syndrome. Also, you can just program macros to bypass any game restrictions. (That's beef I have, macros.)

The solution >

I think the simpliest way to prevent double binding and macros both is to check for the time period between key presses for the same action. I.E. If two turn lefts are executed closer than 100ms apart, you warn, then kick the player. Can anyone actually double press the same key faster than 1 tenth of a second? Perhaps the setting could be a number instead of a bolean, like number of milliseconds between actions before warn/kick is sent, with a default of 0.

Maybe I should start a thread in development for this.
locutus
Match Winner
Location: MST [Quotation: "No Good Deed Ever Goes Unpunished.."]

Post by locutus »

what about ppl who need it because they are not the best players or have wrist problems?
ishAdmin
Match Winner

Post by ishAdmin »

I addressed the need for people with RSI, and respect their need to use it somewhat. I think it should be like spam protection. If it's overused in a certain time frame, warnings/kickings should occur. There's no reason I can see where anyone *needs* to repeatedly 180 and lag the server. If there is a reason, I'm all ears.
Speedracer
Match Winner

Post by Speedracer »

Repeatedly 180 and lag the server? Get a better computer.

I have arthritis in my hands. I smoke the weed in order to lessen the swelling and pain. I rely on double binding to help my slow reaction time. :wink:
We are here today to talk about tomorrow. Yesterday is gone and tomorrow will soon be today.
ishAdmin
Match Winner

Post by ishAdmin »

I don't think it's the server, but the game itself, and the fact this all gets pumped through the internet to other players blah blah blah. LAN games perform much better in my observation, and are not so prone being lagged this way. (although I don't really know if this is true with many players, as I've only played a lan game with two)

Sorry you have arthritis. There is still no reason for you to repeatedly 180 is there?
root down
Round Winner

Post by root down »

server side lag can't be solved by getting a better somputer, only a better server/more bandwidth for the server's connection.
stakes is high