Smurfing

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...

Disallow smurfing (the act of playing pickup under alias logins) or no?

Poll ended at Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:16 am

Yes
64%
No
36%

Total votes: 14

delinquent
Match Winner

Smurfing

Post by delinquent »

Deso and I were having a conversation, and it turns out we never actually made smurfing a hard and fast no-no. Deso suggested a vote, and I agree. I'll leave this up for, say, a week?
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Re: Smurfing

Post by sinewav »

Normally I don't care, but there is a good argument that smurfing spoils ranking which Pickup Fort depends on, which makes making teams difficult again -- the thing we spent so much time fixing. Aliased players in ranked games is disruptive and kinda shitty to do in such a small community. You're kind of a bad person if you do it.
vov
Match Winner

Post by vov »

Kills rankings, kills matchmaking for fortauto, doesn't have any benefit, and people who do it seem to do it because either it benefits their rankings or they just want to troll. The problem is that it's gonna become a hide-and-seek game which is gonna suck for everyone. The problem here is really just the people that do it.
vov
Match Winner

Post by vov »

Kills rankings, kills matchmaking for fortauto, doesn't have any benefit, and people who do it seem to do it because either it benefits their rankings or they just want to troll. The problem is that it's gonna become a hide-and-seek game which is gonna suck for everyone. The problem here is really just the people that do it.
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

There are some votes to allow smurfing. Assuming these are all from legitimate accounts, does anyone want to throw in an argument for it?
Pre
Average Program

Post by Pre »

While I don't really care on this matter either way, back in the day I used to do my fair share of smurfing. Although I can see all of your points against it, sometimes you just want to chill and play anonymously and nowadays servers rarely fill up so the only way to actually play the game is to add for pickup. I do however agree with that it should be disallowed in any ranked mode. Outside of that, I don't see a reason to ban it though. Let the people play in peace unless they start abusing or heavily trolling with their power of anonymity.
vov
Match Winner

Post by vov »

The point is that exactly this is starting to happen now. Otherwise I wouldn't give a damn either.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Pre wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:19 amI do however agree with that it should be disallowed in any ranked mode.
OK, so no aliases in fortauto and tst #pickups. How to enforce? If someone is caught do they get an immediate "time out" from those two games?
Pre
Average Program

Post by Pre »

Oh, I didn't know / haven't seen that.

I think an easier solution is have only "verified" people play on ranked pickup. Don't allow people who just joined the discord to add for fortauto and/or tst, they have to be verified by a moderator first. Not sure if that is easy to implement though, because how do you work around if a smurf !adds when there is already 11/12 signed up?
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

since my whole tron career is built on appropriating a bot's name, i'll recuse myself from this debate
DorothyNorth

Post by DorothyNorth »

Smurfing has always been and will always be, there is nothing you can do about it. But does it bother you so much?