Shut off servers?

Tigers Network and other servers hosted by the same fellow.

Moderator: Tank Program

Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

They're not looking for a video. They want this other kind of software recording. I don't know what it's technically called, but it provides them with other kinds of information besides just what you see.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

I guess I'd call it an ingame recording, for lack of a better term. It's the recording feature that armagetron has. It's not a movie, it's a recording of everything you do (and all the state variables and net syncs and stuff) from the time you start the game until the time you end it.

In Windows, there's a menu entry in your start menu for it. In Mac OS X, there's a separate program to help you deal with it, and in linux you pass certain arguments on the command line. The result is that armagetron makes the recording, and then you upload it here, and then we play it back in our clients.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

I prefer "debug recording", it hints at the fact that it only works when played back on the same machine with the same binary reliably and is, in no way, a tool to make cool game movies to share.

Thanks, Phytotron, it works for me. Now I have something to test my workaround idea.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

An immensely useful recording! The reason for the bug is something completely different than I had thought. I thought it was related to walls being copied from one data structure to another at the wrong moment, but really, a test whether the wall you're about to grind is dangerous or not fails. If network timing is just right (doesn't have to be too accurate), the wall is reported as non-dangerous. That is fallout from the fix of enemy cycles getting stuck right after turns sometimes. It should be fixed for 0.2.8.3.

Yes, the lag-o-meter is supposed to be that large, I think. They are usually correct now (they were half the true size in earlier versions).

The stall at SpongeBob's entrance was probably network flood from the server to him that clogged the server's connection for everyone else; earlier servers did that.