Impostor on Speed Blast?

Tigers Network and other servers hosted by the same fellow.

Moderator: Tank Program

Guigs

Impostor on Speed Blast?

Post by Guigs »

Hi!

I'm slightly concerned that someone may have managed to play on Speed blast with my own nickname. The reason I suspect foul play is that I lost 120 points on the Speed Blast ladder (between wednesday 8 pm and thursday 4 am), but without playing at all (I was out with some friends at the time, and nobody has access to my computer). I also noticed that I had 2 more won rounds which seems to indicate that someone did play under my nickname (and that is was not just some bug with the ladder). Would anyone know if anything like this is actually possible? Does that make any sense at all? How does the server know the difference between two players using the same nickname?

Cheers,

Guigs.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Re: Impostor on Speed Blast?

Post by Z-Man »

Guigs wrote:How does the server know the difference between two players using the same nickname?
It doesn't, sorry. Yes, imposters (or people choosing the same nickname by random) get the same slot on the ladder and score tables. We're working on a solution, but it's complicated (since players shouldn't need to jump through too many hoops), so it'll take time.
Guigs

Post by Guigs »

Okay, too bad. Thanks for your answer anyway. I guess I'll just play with a nickname less likely to be copied...
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

A (semi) solution is to append a character to your name that does not have a representation in game. This means then that other players can't see it and don't know to copy it, in most cases. You can look at font.png and font_extra.png to see which characters can be displayed and then choose one which does not appear. Again, not the best solution but it can help.
Joe
Core Dumper

Post by Joe »

i ended up putting in a hex code into my name, but having it at the end so that no one knows that it is actually there