Exploit Attack

Tigers Network and other servers hosted by the same fellow.

Moderator: Tank Program

Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Exploit Attack

Post by Tank Program »

It came to my attention that about 10 minutes ago for the last who knows how long, Tigers Network Classic Play and Speed Blast were the subject of a variety of DoS exploit attack. I hope the little **** tards that have done this are happy now. I will shortly be locating their IPs, iptables banning them from the servers and these forums, and sending off an email to their ISPs. Doing this sort of shit is a one way ticket to hell in my book, and really, really, pisses me off.
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

Edit: turns out I can't pin point the IP(s) in question. I really, really, hope you F U C K I N G I M M A T U R E A S S S N O B S are happy. Stay tuned for Tigers Network, all 0.2.8.0.
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

Or at least with proper logging...
TiTnAsS
Match Winner

Post by TiTnAsS »

:o first time ive ever seen him mad.....
Damn, it sure has been a while!
iceman
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Yorkshire, England. Quote: Its the fumes, they make one want to play

Post by iceman »

tigers classic is one of the few remaining 0260 servers in armagetron and for me its the most playable

hope you have it back soon tank

good luck

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

edit: tank would it be too much to ask if you could keep classic as 0260 with the addition of the security fix code
Image He who laughs last, probably has a back-up
sorry about the large animated gif
DrJoeTr0n
"On a Roll. Paper wise."

Post by DrJoeTr0n »

Do you see!? Do you see now!? This is why we can't afford nice things!

Really sorry to hear about that Tank.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Yeah, Swampland was recently targetted too. I sent swampy an email about it. I was able to lure the guy into a test 0.2.8 server where I was able to snag his IP address. When I emailed his ISP with it within 20 minutes, I received an email that "It happened too long ago for us to properly trace the IP address". I emailed them back with "This was 20 minutes ago!" and got nothing.

I don't know if it was the same guy, and it's likely not, but we can take this over to the server admins forum if you want. I think I still have the IP address somewhere.

(It was the same Sean that nemo started the thread about kick-spamming, turns out that when antagonized he'll actually attack, but if you push antagonizing him, he goes away)

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Swampy
Core Dumper

Post by Swampy »

Lucifer wrote:Yeah, Swampland was recently targetted too. I sent swampy an email about it.
I never got the email :(
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Swampy wrote:
Lucifer wrote:Yeah, Swampland was recently targetted too. I sent swampy an email about it.
I never got the email :(
Hmmm, I resent it, but it's probably too late to act on it now. Besides, his ISP already pretty much told me to f- off.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

Hmm, that doesn't sound great Lucifer... What I'm working on now are some iptables rules that will let me get info of all people sending packets to the port. Or something like that. I'm working on it.

As for you iceman, I know your connection and hardware makes the 0.2.6.0 gameplay the only reasonable experience for you. However, 0.2.6.1 does not have the remote admin, which would be crucial, and does not, iirc, fix the rip crash bugs.

It may just be time to face that the era of Tigers Network has come to an end, much the same as the era of Armagoshdarn did. I do hope that this is not the case, but the changes that will be undergone moving to 0.2.8.0 I fear will be drastic.

I hope to be back up by Monday. Sorry everyone.
microbus
Core Dumper

Post by microbus »

Tank... for that port scan stuff, if needed, get in touch with AntiX...
he's a member here, so you'll have his e-mail addy.
He runs my main server, and has port scan and several other
security things on it.
His website is http://www.distortgaming.com
Walking Tree
Match Winner

Post by Walking Tree »

Tank Program wrote:It may just be time to face that the era of Tigers Network has come to an end, much the same as the era of Armagoshdarn did. I do hope that this is not the case, but the changes that will be undergone moving to 0.2.8.0 I fear will be drastic.
Yeah,... 0.2.6 style gameplay is dying out ... but losing a community like this would be sad...
I would prefer Tigers Network Classic Play to be replaced by, say, Tigers Network New Classic ... although the 'classic' would be, well, inaccurate.... but then at least the people would find it...
on the grid as ~free::zombie~
TiTnAsS
Match Winner

Post by TiTnAsS »

What about "Tigers Network".... With the new way the rubber works you should be able to get it REALLY close to the 0.2.6.0 classic i beleive tank...
Damn, it sure has been a while!
iceman
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Yorkshire, England. Quote: Its the fumes, they make one want to play

Post by iceman »

tank cant you just insert the security fix into your current 02602b code and recompile ?

ive played in 0271 servers and it seems that no skill is needed what so ever and im able to crash into a wall then turn and survive with a perfect tight grind ???

if you are going to use 0280 code for tigers then I hope this fault has been fixed

I hope you will keep classic as 02602b+fix
Image He who laughs last, probably has a back-up
sorry about the large animated gif
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

If there's demand, we can surely release a 0.2.6.2 (with the one rubber change from 0.2.6.0 to 0.2.6.1 you did not like (for a reason) removed, that's already in CVS) with some small features (settings probably mostly, the console log manipulation so you see the IPs of players) backported and security fixes and some of the stuff that's been done by Tank inofficially (If Tank does not object).
Security fixes? What fix are you refering to specially, Iceman?
Related question: What type of DOS attack was used on Tank's servers? What was the effect?

About 0.2.8.0: Well, the problem with the cozy feeling of 0.2.6.0 is that it was caused by a fortunate coming together of various bugs... For example, the fact that you could not sit in front of a wall until your rubber ran out was caused by a) your client letting your cycle phase through the wall in front of you on updates and b) the server taking the following "drive through that wall, then turn" command of the client literally. It should be possible to get some of the old feeling back (with more reliability) by drastically lowering the rubber settings, as Lucifer already reported. For a "pure" 0.2.8.0 server or one that does not care that 0.2.7.x rubber meters will be off, it will also be possible to let the rubber recover faster; the bugs of 0.2.6.0 basically did not care about your rubber supply.