Exploit Attack

Tigers Network and other servers hosted by the same fellow.

Moderator: Tank Program

Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

z-man wrote:If there's demand, we can surely release a 0.2.6.2 (with the one rubber change from 0.2.6.0 to 0.2.6.1 you did not like (for a reason) removed, that's already in CVS) with some small features (settings probably mostly, the console log manipulation so you see the IPs of players) backported and security fixes and some of the stuff that's been done by Tank inofficially (If Tank does not object).
I don't think using backported fixes is the way to go. The game is moving forwards and I would like my servers to move forward as well.
z-man wrote:Related question: What type of DOS attack was used on Tank's servers? What was the effect?
I assume it was someone using the binary of the exploit that was discovered by what's-his-name that he so thoughtfully provided for testing... The effect was the server would continually reset as soon as it had restarted, with no error message, just reset, reset, reset...

I'll try to take some time to make things feel as 0.2.6.0 as I can. Tigers Network may be dissolving and the server will re-emerge as just 'Classic Play.' This would be because school has just started and I'm feeling really tired...
DrJoeTr0n
"On a Roll. Paper wise."

Post by DrJoeTr0n »

I hear that! Schools gettin rough on me and its only been a week.
Angel
We love Angel!

Post by Angel »

I really hope Tigers Network doesn't disapear, to me Tigers is Armagetron, i know there are other servers, but Tigers is different, ok, heres how i show how dumb i am Image , but when i first played Arma, i used to think that it came with the Tigers Network included and all the other servers were ones people had set up, to me Tigers was the master server, yes dumb i know, but to me it just goes to show how important Tigers Network has become.
I have no idea why someone would want to attack a server, thats there just for enjoyment, is free and fun.
I don't think that some people get that servers are run by individuals, for no monetary return. That server hosts put alot of effort and time into running a server for no personal gain other than to provide us with somewhere to play.

I can't blame Tank for being angry and majorly disapointed, but i hope that Tigers will come back. Tigers really is the main heart and community of Armagetron. I know it will mean tonnes of work for Tank and who could blame him if he didn't feel like bothering, but i hope he does, i miss Tigers, simple as.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Hopefully this will help you kickstart the process, Tank.

http://forums.armagetronad.net/viewtopi ... 1200#31200

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.
Emacs

Post by Emacs »

Tiger must survive, the new infinite rubber is mad (and boring).
Can't the police do anything to your exploit attack ?
iceman
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Yorkshire, England. Quote: Its the fumes, they make one want to play

Post by iceman »

I hope that the new 0280 wont have the inf. rubber problem like 0271 and this is why I asked if classic could stay as the old 0260-2b but with the addition of the security fix, I can understand tank wanting to move forward so fair enough we'll just have to wait and see how 0280 plays

gratz tank 8)
Image He who laughs last, probably has a back-up
sorry about the large animated gif
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

We're doing our best to make rubber as playable and fair as possible. If you want, you can connect to the CVS test server (rubber is now at sensible levels there) and see if there's a bug left.
matjash
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by matjash »

Sorry to hear that Tank. :cry:

I think it's time to reconsider a possibility to add unique username and password - with registering players. So if they abuse the rules they can be erased in no time. :idea:
Don't drink & drive, when u can smoke & fly!
TiTnAsS
Match Winner

Post by TiTnAsS »

Mat, that has been the hot topic for almost a year now, if you look back some posts you will see topics on "Authentication", read em :)
Damn, it sure has been a while!