Kicked from Tigers Network Classic

Tigers Network and other servers hosted by the same fellow.

Moderator: Tank Program

JUBBa

Kicked from Tigers Network Classic

Post by JUBBa »

Today I was kicked two times by Tank program just because I was grinding too close to the outer wall...
What made me upset was:
- I was kicked without any warning
- I wasn't doing anything against the rules of the servers like camping, spamming etc

He said "he can do whatever he wants on his server" or something like that.
Tank, if you change the rules of your server please let me know, before kicking me.

Good grinding requires skill and practice, and even if many ppl don't like grinders that doesn't mean that they should be kicked.
This is my opinion and I am willing to discuss it with the other players
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Not that I'm trying to get involved, but if I were going to take a guess, I'd guess he was concerned you'd rip the server? Is Tigers still running a rippable server or did it upgrade?

I've kicked people for grinding the rim wall too close, on a rippable server. And I'd do it again. :) (I was the first server running 0.2.7.1 precisely because I didn't want to deal with it anymore, therefore I was the first to take flak over it. Whatever, I'm bulletproof)

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Angel
We love Angel!

Post by Angel »

Hi Jubba :)

To be honest, i can't and don't want to comment on the fact you were kicked, but there is a difference to wall grinding and the new wall grinding trick that some players are using. Ive no idea what to call it, but i call it the flicky thing lol cos it looks like you literally flick the wall :P
Ok to be honest, i hate this new trick, yes it takes skill and theres no way i could ever do it :P but, to me, when someone grinds a wall no matter how close they get, theres always that chance you can get past them, out grind them or crash them, but with this new trick, it literally seals the wall, and theres no point in trying to get past it, and if the player seals the walls on both sides like that, you may as well die there and then, i almost see the splitting the arena in half as camping as you are effectively locking yourself in.
This move has also been known and is known to crash the server.
Again i will say it takes tonnes of skill to learn and execute such a move but i still hate it, at one point if i saw a certain player, i used to not enter the server or leave, just because he used that move all the time. As good a move as it is, there's no fighting involved and it spoils the game for me to a certain extent, but this is only my opinion and i doubt it counts for much lol :P
Last edited by Angel on Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

Grinding with a new client (0.2.8.0 beta) takes no skill on an old server running 0.2.7.0. It puts you at a huge advantage because you are assured your first grind will always beat someone else's first grind (and probably first adjust). Unfortunately there is no way to limit newer clients from connecting to your older server version.

I remember using a 2.7.1 CVS build on swampland 2.7.0, and I accidently rip-crashed the server just by doing a pure grind. Thats how close you can get. :o
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

I understand what you're saying and feeling JUBBa, so I should make this very clear for everyone. There are no 'rules' like you suggest, but as I run the server, I feel I'm entitled to certain liberties, like being abusive every now and then. How often you ask? Well in the last 2 years I've kicked maybe 5 people because I felt like it. I 'feel' like it because while Classic Play may look like it's a bunch of random settings, it really was my attempt at the time to emulate how play was pre 0.2.x, hence the name 'classic'. Now the catch is at that point you couldn't do these weird double bind things, so in my mind it's cheap, it violates the sanctum of what I created. Also I'd like to point out that it's not a democracy there, there's no kick voting or anything, it's a dictatorship. Also lucifer raises a point with the ripping. And the stuff you do with the 180ing on walls, no, that's not skill. That's luck. Some connection scenarios allow it, others don't.
DrJoeTr0n
"On a Roll. Paper wise."

Post by DrJoeTr0n »

I completly agree with tank. Also when it comes to grinding on outside walls, it is more of a "whos got the fattest connection and best hardware" deal IMO.
iceman
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Yorkshire, England. Quote: Its the fumes, they make one want to play

Post by iceman »

DrJoeTr0n wrote:I completly agree with tank. Also when it comes to grinding on outside walls, it is more of a "whos got the fattest connection and best hardware" deal IMO.
I agree with that

I must admit I do grind on the outer wall but dont abuse it as much as others. do I ?
Last edited by iceman on Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image He who laughs last, probably has a back-up
sorry about the large animated gif
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

iceman wrote:I must admin I do grind on the outer wall but dont abuse it as much as others. do I ?
Abuse is a good way to phrase it, and no, not that I've seen.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

We all know I hate it. This is where I'm further redundant with my redundancy. :? :)
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

Oscilloscope wrote:We all know I hate it. This is where I'm further redundant with my redundancy. :? :)
No news is good news ;).
spirit
Round Winner

Post by spirit »

I must honestly say that I hate this zig zag thing too (or as you said Angel: the flicky thing). There´s nothing better and funnier than a good old, fast fight without these wall thingies.... :P
Walking Tree
Match Winner

Post by Walking Tree »

actually , where is tigers classic test 0.2.7.1 gone?
well never mind, what i wanted to say is that the tigers classic seperation should
probably be kept.

the real classic for classical style play with a dictatorship an' all.
the junkie server (call it summat else :P ) uses a current version and allows all the
backyard strategies such as the flicky thing, but still provides quality play.

we could of course just junk the junkie version, but that would force me to go to some
megajunkie 4evercamper's server like microbuscity for semi-junkie play... if ive temporarly
had enough of hi-quality play....

and... dictatorship and politeness can be combined ( and usually is), but there's no greate
harm done with kicking someone you know will come back.for fun once in a while...
on the grid as ~free::zombie~
JUBBa

Post by JUBBa »

Tank Program wrote:I understand what you're saying and feeling JUBBa, so I should make this very clear for everyone. There are no 'rules' like you suggest, but as I run the server, I feel I'm entitled to certain liberties, like being abusive every now and then. How often you ask? Well in the last 2 years I've kicked maybe 5 people because I felt like it. I 'feel' like it because while Classic Play may look like it's a bunch of random settings, it really was my attempt at the time to emulate how play was pre 0.2.x, hence the name 'classic'. Now the catch is at that point you couldn't do these weird double bind things, so in my mind it's cheap, it violates the sanctum of what I created. Also I'd like to point out that it's not a democracy there, there's no kick voting or anything, it's a dictatorship. Also lucifer raises a point with the ripping. And the stuff you do with the 180ing on walls, no, that's not skill. That's luck. Some connection scenarios allow it, others don't.
ok. even if I agreed with what you said (which I don't) I still think that the problem can't be solved by kicking the "evil" grinders. Instead try to fix the bug so there will be no more of this weird double bind things.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Well, that's my job. And it's hard and takes time, and I can't fix the old clients that are still in use (and Tank may not want to lock them out). While that's the case, wall grinding will still rip the old clients and there is nothing we can do about it that does not heavily affect gameplay in ways we don't want (we tried).
Lackadaisical
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Lackadaisical »

JUBBa wrote:I still think that the problem can't be solved by kicking the "evil" grinders. Instead try to fix the bug so there will be no more of this weird double bind things.
I think the trouble can be solved if everyone played how the game was meant to be played.