Server Settings

Tigers Network and other servers hosted by the same fellow.

Moderator: Tank Program

blane
Project Advisor

Server Settings

Post by blane »

Could someone please post Tiger Networks Classic Play Server settings? (It's annoying to grab it out of the server-msg...)

thanks,
blane
/* I have the heart of a small child. It sits on my desk in a jar. */
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

Eventually I guess, but I'm sort of keeping them under wraps for 'official' Tigers Network servers ;).
philippeqc
Long Poster - Project Developer - Sage

Post by philippeqc »

We need an easy mechanism to export the server settings. More than once, I did a dl of aa to fix a quick lan game with friends, and the default settings are quite different than what is available, for example, on tigers network.

Alternatively, it would be really neat if someone came up with an easy repository of server settings files!

-ph
Canis meus id comedit.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

I can add a server settings category to the Breakfast off the Grid repository.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
iceman
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Yorkshire, England. Quote: Its the fumes, they make one want to play

Post by iceman »

come on server admins post your config files
Image He who laughs last, probably has a back-up
sorry about the large animated gif
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

iceman wrote:come on server admins post your config files
If we do this though, what makes our server, our server?
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Tank Program wrote:
If you're that scared, don't post 'em.

Posting server settings: Growth decision
Not posting server settings: Fear decision

(Why didn't I post mine yet? Simple, they're on the other computer. I'll start up a real repository and start it up with mine, ok?)

- Iron Maiden
iceman
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Yorkshire, England. Quote: Its the fumes, they make one want to play

Post by iceman »

dont worry tank

anyway if someone really wanted to copy you they could just take a screen shot of the settings
Image He who laughs last, probably has a back-up
sorry about the large animated gif
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

Lucifer wrote:Posting server settings: Growth decision
Not posting server settings: Fear decision
It goes beyond that. I'm proud of the work and my ideas I put into getting Classic Play to be one of the most played servers out there. I'm not so old as you may have realized so for me I feel most things that I do turn out to be 'real' acomplishments for me, so I hate to do anything which I could precieve as endangering. Now you yourself Lucifer, are much older and therefor have more reallife experience, etc, etc, and this is more of a hobby to your or I don't know what all...

Where was I going with this? Ah, yes, I think Lucifer that limiting it to those two things is sort of an over simplification of the situation when you're an insecure 16 year old whose main experience has been that whenever he's changed anything that was working online it all goes to hell, sooo...
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Tank Program wrote: Where was I going with this? Ah, yes, I think Lucifer that limiting it to those two things is sort of an over simplification of the situation when you're an insecure 16 year old whose main experience has been that whenever he's changed anything that was working online it all goes to hell, sooo...
I simplified it for a reason. :) As an old man (apparently), I'm well aware of the dangers of oversimplification.

Sometime ago, a famous psychologist named Carl Rogers suggested that the purpose in life (getting downright philosophical) is to develop a sense of self-efficacy. Building on the work of Maslow, Rogers suggested that we should be striving to become a self-actualized person. One of the traits of a self-actualized person is that he/sh/it makes growth decisions, rather than fear decisions.

So, the purpose of the oversimplification, then, is not necessarily to criticize, but to point you (hopefully) in the direction of developnig a tool with which you can make growth decisions rather than fear decisions and further your own progress towards becoming a self-actualized person. :)

Oh yeah, and to try to convince you and everyone else here to take a psychology class. :)

- Iron Maiden
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

Lucifer wrote:Oh yeah, and to try to convince you and everyone else here to take a psychology class. :)
I do... Just we're not to this level of shit yet... Last thing we did was dysfunctional behaivor...

That's besides the point, I see what you mean, but... Rawr. Too much to confront for me right now.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Tank Program wrote:
Lucifer wrote:Oh yeah, and to try to convince you and everyone else here to take a psychology class. :)
I do... Just we're not to this level of shit yet... Last thing we did was dysfunctional behaivor...
You guys must be going in a different order than we are. We haven't covered dysfunctional behavior as a separate topic, and behavior disorders are the last thing we'll cover before the final (we'll be covering it next week. Luckily my Comp I research paper was on overmedicating for behavior disorders, so I've already personally covered them pretty thoroughly).

- Iron Maiden
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Breakfast in Hell settings (0.9, you guys didn't know I was versioning them, did you?) are now posted on the Breakfast off the Grid website in the File Repository.

(1.0 will be up soon, it's not ready for release, and there's no cvs repository for it although I'll be making one soon, don't know when/if it'll be public)

- Iron Maiden
blane
Project Advisor

Post by blane »

Tank Program wrote:
well, the settings are hardly secret anyhow.. they are displayed on every connect. so anyone could copy it.

and: what would be bad about it? "your" server is yours because of the name (and moreso by the Hostname/IP) but surely not the settings. if server settings are so good that other admins copy them... i would be the last to object :)
/* I have the heart of a small child. It sits on my desk in a jar. */