Display user location when they join your server.

Everything todo with programming goes HERE.
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Display user location when they join your server.

Post by Light »

This is something that has been asked quite often recently, so I went ahead and set up an API on my site that will do this for you. I've gone one step further and made a script you can throw on your server that will output a message for you with their username, state, and country.

https://lightron.org/#Forums?f=22&t=27
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Re: Display user location when they join your server.

Post by ConVicT »

As far as I'm aware, people absolutely hate this in oasis.
I'm gonna add it to mine anyway and see what sub thinks.

Cheers!
Light

Post by Light »

ConVicT wrote:As far as I'm aware, people absolutely hate this in oasis.
I'm gonna add it to mine anyway and see what sub thinks.

Cheers!
I've heard people complain as well, but I don't see why. This isn't even a new thing. A ton of FPS games do this by default, and nobody cares. It is a little more interesting here though, IMO. We're not as split up as many other games are, and people from all over the world play all servers, so it would be sorta cool seeing that. Usually games I play, I only see people join from the US in the servers I'm in.

Anyways, good luck with it. :)
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

ConVicT wrote:As far as I'm aware, people absolutely hate this in oasis.
I am one of the haters. I have yet to hear a good reason for implementing such a useless / potentially harmful feature.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

I don't think state is a problem, but if you were able to get an accurate zip code, city, or neighborhood, that would be an overreach. People want to be anonymous in online games, so you have to let them.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Light

Post by Light »

Lucifer wrote:I don't think state is a problem, but if you were able to get an accurate zip code, city, or neighborhood, that would be an overreach. People want to be anonymous in online games, so you have to let them.
When you get to city, it's hit or miss. Usually it just gets pointed out over and over that it's wrong if you show city, so I don't really care to see it, even though it gets mine right. :P I've never seen it as a big deal, and in games where it's common, people don't even give it a second thought. People here seem to worry about it because it's a bit of a new thing here, for some reason.

Either way, people will always have their option to choose different servers if one isn't run the way they like, and it will likely never be on every server.
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

Light wrote:People here seem to worry about it because it's a bit of a new thing here, for some reason.
The first reason I didn't like it was because I entered Oasis as "Player 1" (to be anonymous), and everyone knew straight away who I was because there's only two people from where I am that actually play Arma, and the other one was in classic sub lol.

I'm still gonna try it in sub though.
I've tried adding it to my script a few times, it broke it every time. I'll get there at some point.
Light

Post by Light »

ConVicT wrote:
Light wrote:People here seem to worry about it because it's a bit of a new thing here, for some reason.
The first reason I didn't like it was because I entered Oasis as "Player 1" (to be anonymous), and everyone knew straight away who I was because there's only two people from where I am that actually play Arma, and the other one was in classic sub lol.

I'm still gonna try it in sub though.
I've tried adding it to my script a few times, it broke it every time. I'll get there at some point.
You could show the script and I could see why if you'd like. Assuming it is able to run on sty+ct and doesn't require +ap.
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

That'd be great, thank you.
Pm'd it to you.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Where is the opt out checkbox?
Light

Post by Light »

sinewav wrote:Where is the opt out checkbox?
A VPN because IP addresses are not private. Kind of the point of an IP.
Monkey
Match Winner

Post by Monkey »

I actually like seeing where everyone is from. It also makes it easier to work out who trolls are, with the exception of the few that know how to use open proxies and so on. Speaking of trolls, can we get rid of swag now please? Thanks in advance...
Playing since December 2006
Clutch
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Clutch »

Yeah I've only ever heard people say they dislike this feature, myself included. 9 times out of 10 its harmless, but there's too many trolls on this game for me to be comfortable having my location spouted out to anyone in the server

-edit-
Though I suppose server owners can do whatever they'd like. Just my 2 cents for what little it's worth.
Boxed
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

sinewav wrote:Where is the opt out checkbox?
That would be nice. Seriously, this is something people should be able to opt out of.

The fundamental question to me is simple: we don't give out user's IP addresses, only the server has them. Does a script like this reveal who a user is? Is someone being exposed to doxing?

If all it's doing is showing state and country, I don't think anybody's getting doxed, even if you can't be anonymous because of it (as others have pointed out, play somewhere else). Are individual users' privacy being respected?

That's the big question.

Answers?

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Light

Post by Light »

Lucifer wrote:That would be nice. Seriously, this is something people should be able to opt out of.
This is usually where there would be a few official servers that run a few non controversial setups. Not to drag up beaten topics. Once you are joining a server some random person owns, you have to play by their rules. If we want things our way, we make our own or find others that have already done what we want.

This really isn't in defense of this feature, but that server owner's shouldn't be limited to what people say they can do because they don't like something (within reason). Of course you guys have control over the master server to keep people from going overboard, but I don't see this as being something worth censoring. You could go the route of using a private server type setup, as the game already supports it, but this game isn't really active enough to handle that becoming a popular choice.