Individual Server Settings Download

Everything todo with programming goes HERE.
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

Individual Server Settings Download

Post by LOVER$BOY »

Hey there global tronners and programmers!

Recently Alpha Project had been experimenting with our 0.2.9-armagetronad-sty+ct+ap source code involving the client able to download the settings from the server. It can be safe to say it is successful. Currently only our servers/clients are capable of it since its in the form of a chat command: "/downlaodconfig". It will only work from our recently sty+ct+ap revision of 1037 and only on servers.

What it does is it downloads all available settings the server is currently using. So settings like CYCLE_RUBBER, CYCLE_SPEED, SHOT_THRESH. However, it cannot download commands such as MAP_ROTATION, ACCESS_LEVEL, USER_LEVEL, SET_CYCLE_SPEED since they are basically like functions and not real settings that can be adjusted with values like for CYCLE_BRAKE, CUSTOM_SHORTHAND, CUSTOM_SHORTHAND_CONNECTION and anything else that fit its category.

It was released our recent branch revision: http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~armagetron ... ision/1037 Well the original idea wasn't mine truthfully since it came from sine.wav as he asked if I had a way to get the settings of a server he wanted. Since the only methods I knew were to download the nSettingItem<> were the ones, I doubted it helped. So I created this to as a support for clients and servers capable of downloading settings from

Next up I was going to implement a way to get clients to download the settings from specified files like "settings_custom.cfg", "server_info.cfg", "auto_exec.cfg". Although we are still discussing this matter within our team, it feels like a rather huge advantage for trolls to mess around with this feature. Anyway we'll see about it when we come to a decision. In the mean time people reply with your comments and anything else to this so we can evaluate how well it is welcomed into the tron community. You can keep up with our discussions in this thread: http://forums.vertrex.org/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=167

This feature would be useful for some servers users/hosters/owners since they would want to host server with those settings.
Last edited by LOVER$BOY on Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
delinquent
Match Winner

Re: Individual Server Settings Download

Post by delinquent »

I'd be wary of allowing this to be used by a default access level. We don't want to start a war between competing server owners.

If I were you, I'd make the default access level for this command one above remote user.
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

I hope your users don't use LOCAL_USER.
takburger
Match Winner

Post by takburger »

delinquent wrote:I'd be wary of allowing this to be used by a default access level. We don't want to start a war between competing server owners.

If I were you, I'd make the default access level for this command one above remote user.
The intent is more to give us possibility to save the cfg and play alone.

Like you take the plane, and you wanna play your favorite game and train some Race maps. You have a config at hand.

Also, like free market, the war between server owners just would give lower latencies and better servers ? is it a bad thing ? :)
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

Post by LOVER$BOY »

deluqient wrote:If I were you, I'd make the default access level for this command one above remote user.
Yes, that's fine. I'll add in a new setting called "CLIENT_DOWNLOAD_SETTINGS". If you set it to 1, it'll enable clients to download the settings of the server. Of-course, it'll be enabled by default as suggested by my partner, fman.
epsy wrote:I hope your users don't use LOCAL_USER.
No need to worry since LOCAL_USER, USER_ALIAS and all settings related to them don't get downloaded since, last I checked, they weren't allowed to be saved in CanSave() function.

Well you guys can keep discussing the matter while I made a few modifications and adjustments to this feature.