Custom server-sent moviepacks

Everything todo with programming goes HERE.
max798

Custom server-sent moviepacks

Post by max798 »

Hi,
is there any possibility to set the moviepacks of the clients to one defined by the server?

Ty in advance.
RoterBaron1337
Core Dumper

Re: Custom server-sent moviepacks

Post by RoterBaron1337 »

I think its not possible due to the different settings everybody is using (no floor, alpha blending etc) but it would be cool to force ppl to have things on (like on that tournament with that view where u sit in the tron cycle)
Kappa
max798

Post by max798 »

at least you should be able to set the cycle model and it's trail, since those are independent of the color (only grayscale)
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Light »

You could just have a message in the server with a download link for people that want it. As far as I know, you can't force people to download extras like that, let alone put it in the correct location and assure their moviepack setting is enabled.

Overall, it could bring some interesting ideas out, but I think it would be more of a pain than anything. I am very picky about my textures and whatnot, and I wouldn't play in a server that forces me to change it. It would also bring out the problem of people sending textures of nudes and plenty of other things that shouldn't be sent to the many kids that play this game. I can already see the penis textures now .. /sigh
max798

Post by max798 »

Thanks for your reply. So it seems that there's no possibility to send moviepacks from the server. It would be worth a code change to ask the user if he wants to use the moviepack the server is suggesting. Also, servers with offensive content could be removed from the master list.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Server-specific textures and cycle models are something planned for future versions of Armagetron. However, there is not enough time, money, or staff to make this a reality. As Light said, the best thing to do is promote a moviepack from the server with a link.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

I'll forever oppose such things for reasons I've given several times before, most of which should be obvious.
nfdavenport

Post by nfdavenport »

Took me a while to figure out this wasn't going to be possible. Sad. Setting up a server for my daughter's birthday while we are all locked down with COVID-19. Would have been fun to have everyone get the birthday textures we were going to setup. Not everything is a public server and competitive.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

Well, all you'd have to do is copy the same moviepack folder in the game folder on each client computer, then activate it in-game.