AATools-1.0.0.1

Everything todo with programming goes HERE.
Ratchet
Match Winner

AATools-1.0.0.1

Post by Ratchet »

Well, I'm satisfied enough to bring the first (and minimally functional) version of AATools to the public. :)

First, what the hell is AATools? Well, lately I've been off developing my own little project in C# with the intent of learning some cool things as I go along. But, I didn't want to spend all my time working on something silly, like a NASA control panel (too basic!). Why not make something useful to Armagetron players? I realize thus far in the project, it's hardly groundbreaking, but it's something I'm proud to have created. :D

How it works:

1) The application is launched, and you are presented with four buttons. (See here)

1.a) Configuration Editor: At this point, the bread and butter of the application. Upon clicking on the configuration editor, you will notice a "table", and a few simple buttons here and there. What you don't notice: when you click Configuration Editor, the program automatically searches some pre-defined pathways to determine the directory your configuration files are held in. You can click File --> Open and you *should* be already placed into your Armagetron appdata files directory, making it quick and easy to locate the file(s) you wish to edit. Additionally, if the path-finding worked correctly, "Quickedit" should list all configuration files in your application data folder, making even easier editing! Then, when you're all done and ready to save your changes, there (on the right hand side) is the option to "center" your configuration file. What this does: When Armagetron creates the user.cfg file on the first runtime, it has a unique centering format designed to maximize readability. By checking the optimal "centering" checkbox, your file will be saved exactly like Armagetron does it! Neat, huh?

1.b) Future Map Editor: I do intend to implement this. Can't give a time frame for completion, though.

1.c) Future IRC Client: Again, something that is likely a matter of time rather than whether or not I'll do it

1.d) Launch Armagetron: In addition to automatically finding your var folder, which contains your configuration files, AATools is also designed to find your armagetronad executable file for quick access to tron. Yaknow, in case you want to try out those awesome new configs you worked up. :D However, if for some reason you have very abnormal naming for the location of your Armagetron install, and AATools cannot locate it, the button will become disabled, telling you that no path was detected.

2) Something noteworthy: When you click on Launch Armagetron, or Configuration Editor, the main AATools Launcher window will be minimized into your system tray and removed from your task bar. It didn't disappear! If you're on Windows 7/8, click the arrow on the right side to show more icons and it should be hiding there. Double-click it to Re-show the AATools Launcher. After hundreds of Debugging runs, I started to get annoyed that the Launcher was always there. So, I saved you the trouble and got it out of the way :D

How to get it:

1) Download the zip file I have prepared from http://bot-net.org/downloads/AATools-1.0.0.1.zip (or attached to this post)

1a) Extract the zip file into whatever location you wish. Example: (C:\Users\yourname\Desktop\AATools-1.0.0.1) (C:\Users\yourname\My Documents\AATools-1.0.0.1)

1b) Open the application by going to AATools-1.0.0.1 (or whatever you named the folder) and clicking on AATools Application

1c) This will start the program, you can move the AATools Application shortcut to whichever location you prefer.

From source, mostly Linux users (if you care to try it with Mono)

2) Download the latest and most up-to-date source code as a ZIP file from https://github.com/JoshuaGranger/AATools

2a) Open the Solution file with Visual Studio (or MonoDevelop)

2b) If not done already, add the AATools project into the solution

2c) Build Solution/All

2d) Run!

In all, there are many improvements that need to be made, and that I certainly plan to make. This is a very simple version of what the end result is expected to be.
If you find any blatant bugs, or have feature suggestions, please email me at [email protected]

Current features:
- Auto-locate Armagetron install path for "Launch Armagetron" (*works on linux also)
- Auto-locate Armagetron var path for "Configuration Editor" (*still working on paths for linux)
- Open Configuration Files in Configuration Editor (or text files, though it must be in the same "layout" as the arma config files)
- Save Configuration Files in Configuration Editor
- - Ability to save using a "centering" method to maximize readability
- Help --> About on Configuration Editor is functioning

Features that are on the way:
- Manual Armagetron install path entry
- Manual Armagetron var path entry
- Enable the "Minimize on startup" button to allow a user to open the program and not have to minimize it. (Mostly useful for future plans of the program, such as having an IRC client inside it, etc)
- Quick-save(+ save-as) and Quick-open buttons feature for Configuration Editor
- Switch from "Configuration Editor" mode to "Instant Chat Editor" mode for in-game color simulation and easy instant chat editing
- - Will be able to sniff instant_chat commands from config files automatically and only display the instant chats
- A form to set up tons of user settings, (I need to figure out how to save application settings on exit and reload them from my .settings file)
- Right-click menu for the icon in System Tray
- A linux mode? I'll see if I need to make significant modifications for linux users that may want to run this. If so, I'll add the option in my user settings
- IRC Client, coded to #armagetron, #armagetron.tourneys, #armagetron.pickup, with the ability to join more channels
- Map Editor with an easy-to-use interface, including an option to add-in new objects for selection (for future-proofing)
AATools-1.0.0.1.zip
AATools Alpha 1.0.0.1
(1.28 MiB) Downloaded 244 times
"Dream as if you'll live forever,
Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Re: AATools-1.0.0.1

Post by sinewav »

Nice work. Here is a tip for your presentation: Alt+Prnt Scrn. This takes a screenshot of the active window and not the whole desktop. I don't want to load 400% more than I need to see, and you still haven't lived down the screenshot fail of your browser with visible pr0n bookmarks. Lean it, live it, love it.
Ratchet
Match Winner

Post by Ratchet »

sinewav wrote:Nice work. Here is a tip for your presentation: Alt+Prnt Scrn. This takes a screenshot of the active window and not the whole desktop. I don't want to load 400% more than I need to see, and you still haven't lived down the screenshot fail of your browser with visible pr0n bookmarks. Lean it, live it, love it.
I didn't know about that one, I typically use win+printscrn because it autosaves without having to paste into paint. Thanks, though :) I know windows has a snip tool that is also useful, I'll do it differently next time.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

Alt+Prnt Scrn
MINDBLOWN
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

Chill out on the version numbers. Just because it's related to ArmagetronAd doesn't mean you have to imitate our "0.2.8.3.2". "1.1" is great.
Ratchet
Match Winner

Post by Ratchet »

epsy wrote:Chill out on the version numbers. Just because it's related to ArmagetronAd doesn't mean you have to imitate our "0.2.8.3.2". "1.1" is great.
Don't make assumptions :)