[PHP] Converting Armagetron Colors to HTML Colors

Everything todo with programming goes HERE.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Re: [PHP] Converting Armagetron Colors to HTML Colors

Post by Lucifer »

High school programming teachers are notorious for teaching bad habits, and VB is notorious for encouraging bad habits.

If you really want to get rid of as many bad habits as possible, spend a year working with only Python. :) Do that and you'll find yourself getting increasingly angry at all the bad php/vb/c++/java/whatever code you encounter.

Not that working with Python makes you an immediate good programmer, just that it does a great job nitpicking common bad habits in other languages.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Magi
Match Winner

Post by Magi »

Ah I remember the days when I took VB, C++ and Java in school...yep...I downloaded tron and didn't pay a single moments worth of attention to the class. :D
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

bye
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

Post by LOVER$BOY »

Ya I did the same Magi (although not java and c++). At my high school, they removed c++ and java as they stated in the report "Too complicated for the student's knowledge at an early age".

So now they are offered at university but not at my nearest university as the financial stability of the market has caused so many people to lose their jobs (especially computing engineers). Good thing my mother's company needs her capabilities (she did code a program that is being used by 22 (can't clearly remember) different countries and that she told me on my birthday and she normally doesn't brag about those things :P ).

Besides, my mother told me that programming should be my last option if I really want to settle down in life and I agree. I find it more entertaining to play around with numbers (maths). After all, the most enjoyable thing in maths is the amount of complex and difficult questions and I love it! :D

Besides, apart from me and dad, mum doesn't even touch the computer apart from bringing work to home and spending long hours on them and sometimes forgets to sleep until I smash the door down and tell her to sleep (not literally but you get the point).

And from all of these messages, I'm getting the feeling that you guys are above the age line of 22 or 23 or even above. Man I feel young and that isn't the first. I mean, I went to my old school for work experience in teaching and all of the Maths C students called me "Sir" the moment I entered the room. Seriously speaking, that was the room I spent in for the two years of my senior high school (Grade 11 and 12) studying Maths C and my favourite teacher was there too (back then we called it the "Cold Room" because it was freezing in the mornings whenever you entered it).

Your right Lucifer. VB does tend to make some ways for the lazy side of things but idk how Phyton will help me change but I'll give it a try when I finally get some free time. Right now I need to work on three assignments and then a supplementary exam (forced) due this Friday and then another one next Monday. Seriously, I wish they would stop giving me more than what my hands can hold :P

Interestingly enough, it's the engineering side of coding that I've never actually gotten to seeing. Like I did first year as a Engineering student before dropping it. During that time my teammates dealt with the programming of a robot. It was mad. They coded it so that the robot could dance! :D It was epic! ;) However, when I looked at their code, it blew my mind. I understood the basic functions but the way they coded it, I was surprised that the robot even moved :P
nux
Round Winner

Post by nux »

Lucifer wrote:High school programming teachers are notorious for teaching bad habits, and VB is notorious for encouraging bad habits.

If you really want to get rid of as many bad habits as possible, spend a year working with only Python. :) Do that and you'll find yourself getting increasingly angry at all the bad php/vb/c++/java/whatever code you encounter.

Not that working with Python makes you an immediate good programmer, just that it does a great job nitpicking common bad habits in other languages.
While it sure helps getting rid of some bad habits, python brings new ones as (one of) their philosophy is "devs should be able to do what they want, even if they shouldnt". The only thing that comes to mind is changing constants, as im just getting started with Py.
There's a difference between knowing your shit, and knowing you're shit. Grammar does matter.
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

Post by LOVER$BOY »

Well one way or the other, you end up with bad habits anyway :P
nux
Round Winner

Post by nux »

LOVER$BOY wrote:Well one way or the other, you end up with bad habits anyway :P
Of course, no language is perfect at teaching good habits, thats why incrementing the languages you use helps a lot. But what you should do is read different guidelines and pick what you like. There are several examples of this everywhere, the one i like the most and the one which pushed me to be constant with my own coding style is eyeOS's.
There's a difference between knowing your shit, and knowing you're shit. Grammar does matter.
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

Just to drop my own tuppence in here, I am extremely behind you all in "coding skill" if you like, but I can see how the comments are a little messy to read. Loverboy, might I suggest that instead of wrapping up explanations where it is difficult to read them, you simply add a text file with a few notes on explaining the functions of some key lines? That way, someone like nux, who is perhaps more adept at programming doesn't have to put up with them, and the information is there for those who need it?
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

An excellent way to figure out which comments you should make and which ones you shouldn't is to learn how to use doxygen. Write your apidocs to be read in a web browser, and the rest of your comments are to help read how the code itself works.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

Post by LOVER$BOY »

Actually that's a good idea delinquent. I might as well perform that from now on instead of commenting in the script :)
Is that ok guys?
Magi
Match Winner

Post by Magi »

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

bye
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

LOVER$BOY wrote:Actually that's a good idea delinquent. I might as well perform that from now on instead of commenting in the script :)
Is that ok guys?
I think you should try doing this, then taking bits of it and putting them at the appropriate places in the code, resulting in no more comments, no less comments(mostly) than in the file you wrote. You'll get much closer to what is desirable than commenting each individual line.
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

Post by LOVER$BOY »

LOL Magi :P

Right epsy. I might as well try and control my feverish addiction to putting comments all over the place :P
Besides, I usually don't leave comments as I find it hard (especially when im not in the mood).
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

Post by LOVER$BOY »

So for example, this:

Code: Select all

<?php
//! Pre-Declared Variables
$map_count = 0;
$map = 0;

//! This contains the list of your maps
$maps = array("author/category/map1.version.aamap.xml", "author/category/map2-version.aamap.xml");
While (1)
{
       $line = rtrim(fgets(STDIN, 1024));
       if (preg_match( "/^ROUND_COMMENCING/", $line))
       {
               $map_count = count($maps);
               if ($map < $map_count)
               {
                       $map++;   // add counter
               }
               else
               {
                       $map = 0;  // reset counter
               };
               echo "MAP_FILE ".$maps[$map]."\n";
               echo "WAIT_FOR_EXTERNAL_SCRIPT 0\n";
               sleep(3);
               echo "WAIT_FOR_EXTERNAL_SCRIPT 1\n";
       };
};
?>
In this simple map rotation [Ordered] script of mine, I simply wrote very few comments so simply state the purpose of those variables. Is that how I should keep doing from now on?
DDMJ
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by DDMJ »

IMO, those comments aren't even needed.

//! Pre-Declared Variables
Usually when you set something to 0 at the top of the code you're initializing it, so it's kind of redundant to so say in the comments.

//! This contains the list of your maps
It's an array called maps, which should be self-explanatory. Now, if the array was called $googoogaga, maybe then you'd need a comment.

// add counter
++ means add 1, so this comment isn't necessary either

// reset counter
$map started at 0, you were incrementing it above, so it's kind of obvious that setting it back to 0 would be resetting it

Sorry to be critical. I guess the most important thing to commenting is that if you're reading the script (and have a decent knowledge of the language), the code should be almost self-explanatory. If you have to do some weird jumping through hoops and sneaking around corners to get things to work properly, first try and clean it up, but if that doesn't work, then add some comments so people can follow your thought process.
nux
Round Winner

Post by nux »

Dont comment the code itself, comment why you are using that code. I see that and cant figure out why you want to increase $map or why you want to reset the count. I can clearly see that you are looking for ROUND_COMMENCING from the server output, but why are you? Whats the purpose of this script? How is it supposed to be called?