Armagetron Advanced!

News, what's going on with... Anything...
Marrow
MVP - Project Contributor

Post by Marrow »

lol, bessy would like that too much
Zapple
Shutout Match Winner

ok

Post by Zapple »

He-He, oooohhh riiiiight.

lol (family guy, that big headed one, lol)
Marrow

Post by Marrow »

A lot of you have seen me pop onto the grid temporarily, only to leave and come back again. Well, I've been doing a lot of testing and the developers are making great progress. Take a look...

Latest screenshots of Armagetron Advanced.
Attachments
s1.jpg
s2.jpg
s3.jpg
che
Core Dumper

Post by che »

thank you, thank you, thank you, and all others involed
is it available allready? will one be able to chose side on which he wants those displays?
Marrow

Post by Marrow »

It should be available soon (within weeks hopefully). Although, if it's released that early, we can't include all the features we want to include.

Also, the gauges will likely be placed at the bottom of the screen. That seems to be what people want.
locutus
Match Winner
Location: MST [Quotation: "No Good Deed Ever Goes Unpunished.."]

Post by locutus »

it all looks great!

will the ping be on the screen? I find that to be helpful sometimes...

will charity be listed anywhere or is that pointless anyway because the server sets it automatically?

will it still have all players speed's listed?

i know, im a pest (p.s. - I like the gauges on the bottom as well)
Marrow

Post by Marrow »

locutus wrote:it all looks great!

will the ping be on the screen? I find that to be helpful sometimes...
This is an ongoing debate among the developers. At first, we included every option possible, but then some said it looked cluttered. Then we stripped it down and started adding stuff back in. The screenshots above are a compromise between the two extremes.
will charity be listed anywhere or is that pointless anyway because the server sets it automatically?
It probably won't be listed, unless one of the developers speaks up and makes an argument for it. Like you said, pointless because the server sets it.
This can be done. However, we may run the risk of making the screen cluttered. Suggestions/Comments on this one?
i know, im a pest (p.s. - I like the gauges on the bottom as well)
Not a pest at all. I wish more people would speak up and contribute their thoughts/feelings/ideas.
Lackadaisical
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Lackadaisical »

Marrow wrote:
This can be done. However, we may run the risk of making the screen cluttered. Suggestions/Comments on this one?
you could display more needles in the same speedometer as you're own, but maybe smaller and more transparant (and in the color of the bikes)

are there going to be more options besides the onscreen stuff? because if so i would like to have an option to turn all (or part of) the stats on/off.
Marrow

Post by Marrow »

Lackadaisical wrote:are there going to be more options besides the onscreen stuff? because if so i would like to have an option to turn all (or part of) the stats on/off.
A tester mentioned this idea to the developers. It's still undecided.
subby
Shutout Match Winner

Post by subby »

The gauges , scores, etc can currently be turned on and off via the console. ping and enemies is going back up. The speed of every player was up but a lot of whinging ;) about too much info brought it down :) But now that I know how to choose what parts are show i can look at inlduing everyones speed rather than just your own with a coice of removing.... Don't hold your breath though for this release. THis relese has many many improvements and as everyone knows patience is a virtue.

:)
Marrow

Post by Marrow »

There we go, right from the developer's mouth...hehe.

Good work, subby.
iceman
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Yorkshire, England. Quote: Its the fumes, they make one want to play

Post by iceman »

keep up the good work although i think if i tried this version i would avg about 0 fps ! :cry:

just out of curiosity are you using slow sin/cos to calculate the needle position in real time or did you just create a fast look-up table and index into that ?
Image He who laughs last, probably has a back-up
sorry about the large animated gif
subby
Shutout Match Winner

Post by subby »

iceman wrote:keep up the good work although i think if i tried this version i would avg about 0 fps ! :cry:
Everything can be turned off so you could get back to 1 fps :)
Speedracer
Match Winner

Post by Speedracer »

Keep up the good work guys. It looks great. Bottom of the screen gauges are best. FPS is important. I don't think we need to know everyones speed but it could be good. ummmmm.... well done. Good things come to those who wait so I am waiting patiently... BTW- I hope this version will be easy for linux users. 8)
We are here today to talk about tomorrow. Yesterday is gone and tomorrow will soon be today.
root down
Round Winner

Post by root down »

after armagetron advanced, would you please entertain my idea of armagetron: simplified
my ideas are simple, bikes are to be replaced by solid blocks, and the game is to be done in 8 bit colour, prince of persia style
as a matter of fact, the whole game will need to be done prince of persia style. although this game will share nothing with the armagetron we know, prince of persia was an amazing game, and therefore muct be replicated under as many names as possible. other games that you should probably make because i told you to are: doom simplified, windows simplified, and boot disk simplified. thank you for your time
stakes is high