Scheduled Downtime: 07/07/27.

News, what's going on with... Anything...
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Scheduled Downtime: 07/07/27.

Post by Tank Program »

Sorry for the short notice, but today I've confirmed the shipment of the final parts to upgrade the hardware of the forums server. These upgrades will result in an extended period of downtime for the server in question. (Better to do the job right once.)

Therefore forums will be moved to the new shared hosting that the wiki and the main site use tomorrow. I expect the forums to be disabled and unreachable for somewhere between 4 and 24 hours, depending on various DNS caching and setup issues. I expect the transition to be mostly pain free, but you never can tell for sure 100%. Either way this shorter downtime I think is preferably.

Regrettable as it may seem, the hosting move will be permanent, and we will not be able to take advantage of these upgrades ourselves. At least, that's not in the plan. We've been extremely lucky to have had the hosting we've had on this server for the past few years, and I hope everyone will join me being thankful for the great service we've had.

Well, that's it for now. To summarize the important bits, sometime tomorrow (07/07/27) morning, around 0800 GMT, possibly a bit earlier or later, the forums will be disabled temporarily and moved. Please do not panic during this period without your daily dose of lunacy. I'll really try not to screw up ;).
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Indeed, thanks for the wonderful hosting. :)

Just in case this impacts the AFL games this weekend, let's remember the wiki's going. Use the talk page for the afl for communication if need be (but it doesn't sound like the forums being moved will affect the AFL)

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

well, good luck with it :)
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

Right well, the move has been completed and it seems like things are working. If you're not receiving your email notifications and things, do speak up. Also speak up if you notice something else that's not working correctly.