"Armrank"

News, what's going on with... Anything...
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

"Armrank"

Post by Tank Program »

I wrote it... And then it dropped of the edge of the universe with the descovery that phpbb is unhappy with urls that don't end in proper image extensions. But now, I have come up with my own workaround, which I feel confident using, so its back, and I'd like to get people interested this time.

So here's the breakdown. "Armrank" is a list of compiled stats from several different servers which currently includes armagetron.org.es, The Penguin.net servers, The Tigers Network servers (except Classic Play II), and World of Hate. I would greatly apreciate if other server hosters would join this initiative to create a more balanced list. Bandwith usage is minimal, as the stats are updated hourly.

There's a top 300 list available at http://electricpotential.net/armrank/ and then there's the signature image, which exists pre-wacked up in my signature. This can be embedded into any forums dohicky by including the image. The url for the image is [url]http://your_name_here.sigs.electricpotential.net/armrank/sig.png[/url]. If you have spaces in your name you should replace them with %20, and periods with %2e. If there are any other charecters which do not work properly, please tell me and I'll resolve that lickety-split.

The url works like that because sigs.electricpotential.net is what is known as a 'wildcard domain' meaning that you can have anything infront of it and it will still resolve. This combined with php parseing of the directive letting it know what url was called allows the script to determine your name. The reason it says .png is because for the vhost sigs.electricpotential.net I have added the line "AddHandler php-script .png" which to the best of my knowledge sends all .png files phps way for pre-processing, which is exactly what you want for a nice dynamic signature.
blane
Project Advisor

Post by blane »

nice work. there's still a little bug:

http://matt.sigs.electricpotential.net/armrank/sig.png

http://mat.sigs.electricpotential.net/armrank/sig.png

Give both 46th ... but mat (me) is 69th.... it ignores the 4th letter somehow?

cheers,
/* I have the heart of a small child. It sits on my desk in a jar. */
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

Hmm yes... I think it does partial string matches. I'll look into it.
andrea
On Lightcycle Grid

Re: "Armrank"

Post by andrea »

Tank Program wrote:I wrote it... And then it dropped of the edge of the universe with the descovery that phpbb is unhappy with urls that don't end in proper image extensions. But now, I have come up with my own workaround, which I feel confident using, so its back, and I'd like to get people interested this time.

So here's the breakdown. "Armrank" is a list of compiled stats from several different servers which currently includes armagetron.org.es, The Penguin.net servers, The Tigers Network servers (except Classic Play II), and World of Hate. I would greatly apreciate if other server hosters would join this initiative to create a more balanced list. Bandwith usage is minimal, as the stats are updated hourly.
The problem with stats in arma is that they are based on names. If I change my name (nickname) then I will start from scratch. This can be ok, I might want to "delete the past", but using a hash would be better, otherwise, as we all know, someone else could sign on with my nick and change my stats.
andrea
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by andrea »

The signature doesn't work for me... :(
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

Sorry, the dns is pointing to the wrong ip, it will be fixed soon...

edit: fixed
andrea
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by andrea »

Tank Program wrote:Sorry, the dns is pointing to the wrong ip, it will be fixed soon...

edit: fixed
Works great! Thx