EA Games picks up Armagetron Advanced!

News, what's going on with... Anything...
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

EA Games picks up Armagetron Advanced!

Post by Tank Program »

Finally, some real news for in here. Not that it technically has anything to do with "This System" but this is the only place here good for discussing news. First, from the Main Site
news entry wrote:Whoever thought 2020 would be right? But, believe it or not, I have the pleaseure to announce today that Armagetron Advanced has made it big time. EA Games approached the core developers a while back saying that they wished to publish and distribute our game. Initially, we were stuck in licensing disputes, but after an offer of employing two of our developers full time and an agreement to rewrite any non original code in the game, the next version of Armagetron Advanced will be appearing like always on the PC, but also on the PlayStation 3, the Xbox 360, and the Nintendo Wii. As of today all opensource development will stop. Previous versions will still be free buy new elements such as the single player story line that is under development will be available only via the EA Games distribution.
The thing is, we can't decide which two developers are going to EA... While yes, this is Z-man's game, he does already have full time employment, so it seems a little unfair for him to have two jobs when there are those with no jobs on the team. So, we were thinking about having a lottery to see who goes. Any other good ideas for deciding?
Square

Post by Square »

I love these April Jokes, ;)
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

THis is no joke. I was a little upset about the discussions, but I guess there's nothing I can do about it, and I do need a job.

For anybody that wants to fork the GPL version, I have an up-to-date backup of svn, but if I don't take it down by the end of the week...

https://svn.davefancella.com/armagetronad/armagetronad/

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Square

Post by Square »

Can I have a link from EA Games that prooves this? :D
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

There must be a reason it's the only news entry on the main page without a date.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
Outside Corner Grinder

Post by 2020 »

hehehehhahhaha

for a moment
i felt sold-out

we are bigger than EA
in what we do
and how we do it

we are champions of open source
and we are on the edge

well...
who's this we
i am merely a line player...
without a team :'(
hold the line
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

Jonathan wrote:There must be a reason it's the only news entry on the main page without a date.
There's no date because it will be evergreen news. And it's fun to trick people into thinking there's recent happenings, insetad of not updating the news in six years like tuxracer...
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Sticky »

I seem to remember when I suggested a console version of the game I was bitch slapped for suggesting a move to a drm platform... suddenly all the developers are on board for a roll out to every console in existence? Nice joke guys
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

As far as I know, it'd be one of the first games for all the platforms too!
~*PsYkO*~

Post by ~*PsYkO*~ »

I'd like to work for EA, I know how to pretty much do all of the sourcing for this game.
Hoax
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Hoax »

Almost had me going there
DDMJ
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by DDMJ »

I just got on the waiting list for the Demo of Armagetron Advanced for XBOX 360.

I'll post some pics when I get it :P.
~*PsYkO*~

Post by ~*PsYkO*~ »

DDMJ wrote:I just got on the waiting list for the Demo of Armagetron Advanced for XBOX 360.

I'll post some pics when I get it :P.
Man you stupid.

Get it for the Wii..
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

So yeah, people have probably caught on, but this was an april fools... Get anyone?

Would be sort of cool playing AA with the Wiimote though... Especially with the Wii Helm.
Lacrymosa
Round Winner

Post by Lacrymosa »

I've read in a computer magazine that it is possible to use the Wiimote with a normal computer and they wrote that you can easily write scripts for it. I have a closer look at it, maybe you can write a script that binds the armagetron keys to the moves of the wiimote. Would be fun to play I think.

I found this:
http://www.wiili.org/index.php/GlovePIE