Donations requested!

News, what's going on with... Anything...
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Donations requested!

Post by Tank Program »

Well. I admit this caught me by surprise, but our the forums hosting is up for renewal again. The pops up every two years. In 2011 I covered most of the costs myself, and with donations since the last project funded hosting renewal in 2009 I'm only about $80 short of fully covering hosting for the next two years with donations. I can cover the shortfall and let donations pay me back eventually, but it's been a bit of a dry spell with only one donation in the last year and leaves nothing in reserve for the next renewal major renewal in 2017. A little help is appreciated!

Donations are through PayPal. That link is for USD, but I'm also happy with GBP, no form for that one though. Send money to donations<a swirly a>armagetronad.net.

Edit: Goal met, with $81 in donations. Thanks everyone!
delinquent
Match Winner

Re: Donations requested!

Post by delinquent »

If it doesn't get sorted in time, I have two domain names that are free for you to use as backup.
LOVER$BOY
Match Winner

Post by LOVER$BOY »

Tank, I think you should make this a global announcement so that it appears everywhere?

Though sorry, I actually have no money on my end to do any donations...

Besides, I'm wondering what will happen to the shorthands (@forums, @ct, @pru, @aagid) if the domain is going to go down? :/
pike
Round Winner

Post by pike »

^ a post on Wall Grind Journal may help too, many players read that.

I've had only 5$ on my PP account, but I'll donate more if there's not enough. What's the deadline btw?
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

I appreciate the donations that have come in so far, we're half way there with $40 donated and $40 to go.

delinquent, thanks for the offer, but we're not there yet.

I'm doing well enough now that I can cover the domain and hosting myself if necessary. My plan is to always, always, be cover the domain and hosting. This should be feasible unless something goes horribly wrong. I may not always manage to be active here, but I like the fact that these forums exists and will continue to strive for them to do so. It's just very awesome that I'm not the only person that feels like this about the forums and game. Money does trickle in slowly. It's just if people are willing, I'd like to be not too out of pocket. ;)

Normal deadline is April 20th, absolute deadline for costs is end of May.
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

Epic. Goal met, $81 dollars total. We're set for another 2 years at the least, and barring disaster the next we'll hear of this is in 2017. Thanks everyone!
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Light »

Tank Program wrote:Epic. Goal met, $81 dollars total. We're set for another 2 years at the least, and barring disaster the next we'll hear of this is in 2017. Thanks everyone!
That's nice to hear. You made it sound earlier like you had an $80/mo. dedi and made me wonder .. This site doesn't have near the traffic to need a server with specs worth that. :P Sorry for not bein' able to help out, but glad it's good to go.
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

Glad I could help, now that I have a PayPal account. It's only sensible after being here for all these years.

Light: I didn't think so.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Thanks everyone!
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

You are welcome. I would have dropped down some more, but there is a lot of craziness in my future.

8)
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

Ah yeah, no dedicated Light. We're on a pretty good shared host with room to grow somewhat. Johnathan & sine, a personal thanks again.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Are donations still going through Sourceforge? It's that time of year where I give money to my favorite free software projects. That includes Armagetron! (Unfortunately you don't get as much as other programs I use to make money, but still better than nothing!)
Monkey
Match Winner

Post by Monkey »

I'll happily donate what I can afford to this game too. Like sine, I donate to the free projects that play an important part in my life, of which this is one. So many people say/believe they can't afford to donate, not realising that every amount counts, no matter how small. If everyone who plays Arma, yet says/believes they can't afford to donate, were to donate just one dollar/pound/euro per year, it would make all the difference. :!:

One thing that needs to be said though is that there is no prominent donation page/section either on the main website or the wiki (at least I can't find any). We really need to have a prominent page/section on the main website at the very least. Also, we need to push for donations more. OpenBSD/OpenBSD foundation and Wikipedia do this and it seems to be working.
Playing since December 2006