ASCII artists..

Anything About Anything...
locutus
Match Winner
Location: MST [Quotation: "No Good Deed Ever Goes Unpunished.."]

ASCII artists..

Post by locutus »

I would really like to say to the newer people that play that the ASCII art is okay once in a while, maybe once in a 10 round match or whatever. Please do not continue to show your art on a repeated basis, especially during the game. It causes more delays in response time for the rest of us. Unless that is your strategy, in which case you can play with yourself.
Majination
Hero Of 2004

Post by Majination »

Amen.

I know what your player name is, I don't need to see three lines of it.
That said, I guess I can tolerate it once every several rounds...
http://bikecolors.shorturl.com -- ArmageTron Multi-Color Bike Picker
"Stimpy, sometimes your wealth of ignorance astounds me!" - Ren Hoek
RUDEBOY!
Match Winner

Post by RUDEBOY! »

i used to do it.. ive refrained. the new ones are so freakin huge i hate it
n54
MVP

Post by n54 »

i like ascii art but lately i haven't used mine. been thinking about just turning off chat completely as there only seems to be infantile spamming, flaming, trolling and ppl seemingly falling for the trolling (but maybe they are trolling too?).

BEWARE! One day I'll create the CyberNanny and make it part of all ms and linux kernels (by popular demand), router ios's, and firewalls, all l33t h4><0r wannabee 15-'es will tremble *muahahahaha* :twisted:

<rant> btw i'd like a way to make the chat text smaller (it's unneccesarily huge) and a setting for how much room it is allowed to take onscreen (something like a third from the top), as well as a clearer typefont. One could have a special size for ascii art (smaller of course) so it didn't take so much space, maybe even with a support for line breaks. AND i think the server messages take way to much space, they have a high noise to signal ratio.</rant>

<more rant>ooh ooh and why the phucking hell can't we have player silencing encoded on the client even if it isn't supported on the server? the data does pass through the client so player silencing could just filter away everything from cracker, " " (blank), Brasil rules, Wallywallwacker and others one doesn't care to listen to. Names silenced should be remembered next time you fire up the game and should include any server message concerning the names as well (like entering/exiting), bye bye certain ppl.</more rant>

(of course i do know it would be more efficient to do it all at the server)
Last edited by n54 on Sun Jan 25, 2004 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
iceman
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Yorkshire, England. Quote: Its the fumes, they make one want to play

Post by iceman »

i agree about this endless spamming (armagoshdarn and the ish's seem to have a lot of crazy spam)

making the font clearer: sorry i did say to z-man that i was gonna re-do the font (because the current font only uses 4 pixel wide characters) but i havent dont it yet :(

making the font smaller: this will need a recompile, the program currently scales the font to a set size (so even if you made the font 1 pixel wide it would just get enlarged to the same size)

i will make a clear font soon :)
Image He who laughs last, probably has a back-up
sorry about the large animated gif
n54
MVP

Post by n54 »

if the font is 5 pixels wide it would be clearer, which program do you you use to make the font? maybe i could make it for you...

and have you managed to compile the client? (thinking of the other changes)
iceman

font

Post by iceman »

the font is also another .png file (like the rest of the graphics)

so any art package that can edit .png's will do
n54
MVP

Post by n54 »

ahh thank you, i see font_s.png (s for small i guess) is the one used for ingame chat. I'll start working on a 5x9 version (the present one is 4x9 "Winamp standard" :P)
iceman

re: font

Post by iceman »

good luck with the font dude
Communist
Average Program

Re: font

Post by Communist »

iceman wrote:the font is also another .png file (like the rest of the graphics)

so any art package that can edit .png's will do
That actually makes things more difficult for me... I was hoping for a client that supported Unicode so that I can get East Asian text to be displayed... no luck with that anymore...
I like rice. And all other kinds of Chinese food.

http://commutron.iwarp.com <-- very infrequently updated
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

I must say that after playing on goshdarn a little bit, that ascii art really is out of control...
locutus
Match Winner

Post by locutus »

yeah tank, some nights it gets really bad. like they just got their pc for the first time and want to make sure everyone knows about it

I am wondering if the color coding invloved in some of the more lively art creates even more lag on the server over say, default settings with no special cfg editing
iceman

color lag

Post by iceman »

well each color code not only adds 8 characters to the data stream but also invokes the color function (although its a small routine that just grabs the characters and calculates rgb its gotta add some small delay)

so i would say yes the color logo's must slow stuff down more (but not much)
n54
MVP

Post by n54 »

i agree with you commie, the programming for text in this app is <censored/>

wtf do it this way? even Winamp doesn't use bitmap fonts for everything, and the special characters part isn't working on my latin-1 (norwegian) keyboard... full Unicode support would be nice (that includes chinese, japanese, korean, hindi/tamil, arabic and whatnot). Creating an GNU GPL font for this would be a major job, but i guess one must exist already?

Æ,æ,Ø,ø,Å,å, <-- funny sounding letters, you know, the Swedish Chef and all that :mrgreen: (these are norwegian though, not swedish!)

btw the font is ready for testing iceman. just tell me when you need it (it's close to the existing one, maybe even closer in looks to the bigsized one than the old font_s.png). there's a few details i'ld like to change but before i can test it i wont do it.
locutus
Match Winner

Post by locutus »

thanks ice, I figured it must create some extra processing power that we really can't afford, another thing is when people chat incessively, this must create more data than is needed as well.