The COVID-19 Crisis

Anything About Anything...
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Re: The COVID-19 Crisis

Post by sinewav »

SoulOfSet wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:07 amNow I can also have my MIDI keyboard on my desk as well for the extra bonus :)
That's the best use of desk space! Do you record music and is there a link to it?
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

kyle wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:55 pm
Z-Man wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:02 amAvoid packed crows.
What do you have against Packed Crows?
The packaging is bad for the environment, plus animal cruelty. I get my crows individually from the local free range crow farm.
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

sinewav wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:03 pm
kyle wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:55 pmModel rocket launches
I used to love making those! It's another hobby I want to pick up again after retirement (if I live that long).
Yep, I picked it back up a few years back, but I only do 4th of July launches.

This year was the first time I placed a payload in the rocket, Using the Falcon 9 model rocket kit, I placed a Hot wheels Tesla roasdster with starman in it. Recovered them both.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

kyle wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:35 amThis year was the first time I placed a payload in the rocket, Using the Falcon 9 model rocket kit, I placed a Hot wheels Tesla roasdster with starman in it. Recovered them both.
I would like to see a picture of that!
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

sinewav wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:48 am
kyle wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:35 amThis year was the first time I placed a payload in the rocket, Using the Falcon 9 model rocket kit, I placed a Hot wheels Tesla roasdster with starman in it. Recovered them both.
I would like to see a picture of that!
I ended up not taking any video's and they would have been poor quality anyway.

I have this rocket https://www.flickr.com/photos/jurvetson/33188549888 I put it together slightly different than instructions so that the upper part of the fairing comes off, that way I could store something in there. I got it from the spacex shop, but they don't have it there anymore.

Then I had a 24" Parachute tied to https://www.flickr.com/photos/ambassadorhl/47041118392 behind the drivers seat. I think the parashoot was a little bit big, I'm tempted to cut 1-2 inches off off it for next year. part of this was because the winds during my launch really fluctuated as altitude increased, I thought I was going to loose the car, because there was an upper wind drifting in the direction I shot the rocket, but as it fell, the lower wind started brining it back. It ended up coming down to a soft landing around 200 meters down range. where as the rocket body landed closer, but in a tree.

I selected my engine for it last year, but It was an E engine with a higher initial thrust than what was recommended for the rocket. I also used a larger launch rod on the pad, because I had no clue how it would perform with the higher center of mass.

This basically pushed the limits of armature rocket rules, still making it so that it did not require a permit.