I'm back. Let's try this again, this time without the oops.

Anything About Anything...
Lucifer
Project Developer

I'm back. Let's try this again, this time without the oops.

Post by Lucifer »

I'm back from rehab, finally. It probably was a pretty good guess for some of y'all that I was doing *something*, heh. Anyway, I'm 93 or 94 days sober now, and looking to find something to do.

And since service is part of recovery, I need to find something to do that's reasonably selfless, makes a lot of people happy, and occupies a fair amount of my time.

Anybody got any suggestions?

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Re: I'm back. Let's try this again, this time without the o

Post by Z-Man »

Welcome back! I hear there is some new website called gitcap or something with one or two open source projects, maybe you want to help there? Once you got a properly working computer, of course.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

Try archaeology. ;-) I don't know where you currently are but I bet there's an opportunity near you where you can just ask if they need someone to help in the field.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

How about teaching a class at the local library? That's something I've always wanted to do, and might one day if I stop being a workaholic.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Z-Man wrote:Welcome back! I hear there is some new website called gitcap or something with one or two open source projects, maybe you want to help there? Once you got a properly working computer, of course.
Any good games over there? I'm kind of in the mood to do something with a game. I mean, I've already got "make davenetgame work, finally" and "write cool games with my kids", but I'm sure there's room on my plate for something else. Maybe something that could really use someone who might finally be able to find some time?

- Iron Maiden
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Dunno, probably. I hear you like FreeCiv, maybe help them out?
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Z-Man wrote:Dunno, probably. I hear you like FreeCiv, maybe help them out?
I *am* interested in doing some Freeciv work. But the work I want to do is all stuff they won't accept, so it's more of using freeciv as a game engine for the game I want to play than enhancing freeciv by itself. There is some work I could do that they'd accept, like adding to the client-side lua scripting the ability to create GUIs for client-side scripts. But other than that, my interest in freeciv is considered counter to the goals of the dev team there (I have talked it over with them, in case you were curious).

There's also Empty Epsilon. The catch there is that my sons and I want to write our own bridge simulator using davenetgame, so it would be short-term to help EE to make the bridge consoles I want, but long-term to work on davenetgame and stuff. We also want to write an MMO that plays the way you'd play if there were a decent Stargate MMORPG, and if we do it right, we can combine the two to allow for away missions from the bridge simulator.

That's all work that's already on my plate, and the primary (and likely only) beneficiaries will be me and my kids.

Maybe there's a good 3d game, like a third-person moving game of some sort.

- Iron Maiden
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Well, that sounds like Tux Racer. Orthis crap. Urgh, they haven't even bothered uploading a logo or a proper README.md.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Z-Man wrote:...a proper README.md.
I have unhealthy love of README files, all the way back to the TXT days. I also love Markdown, though there is only one project I use it on. I sometimes write my own documentation in Markdown even when I have no intention of parsing it to HTML. I'm retarded that way.
Monkey
Match Winner

Post by Monkey »

Welcome back and congrats on the sobriety :)
Playing since December 2006