Post by Monkey »

Never! :)
Playing since December 2006
delinquent
Match Winner

Re: Operating systems and other software discussion

Post by delinquent »

I will fight you in sumo!

Note: I am as bad at sumo as I am fortress.
Monkey
Match Winner

Post by Monkey »

Meh, you'd still probably beat me delinquent :P

Anyway, I thought I'd revive this thread with a discussion about an operating system that is awesome in many ways but I've never actually used. The operating system in question is called "plan 9" and, surprisingly, not many people have heard of it. In my opinion, it's what UNIX should have become. The reason it failed to take over from UNIX was because it wasn't open sourced until too late (and even then the license(s) have some issues). It was essentially created by the same guys that made UNIX and it takes the good things from it while improving on a lot of the bad things (note, however, that it isn't perfect). Have any of you heard of it and what do you think of it? Note: Yes, I know it's kind of been replaced by "Inferno" but they're very similar and we can discuss either operating system.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Links to information about these operating systems? I vaguely remember hearing about Plan 9, but it's a thin memory.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Monkey
Match Winner

Post by Monkey »

delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

Plan 9 is something I wish I had been there for. Massively distributed computing is a bit of a fascination of mine, it would be incredible to see the sorts of results that a network of ~thousand machines running it could achieve. The possibilities, especially for things like maximum concurrent meta-evolution samples, are astounding - imagine being able to predict exactly what every possible biological and/or chemical reaction could achieve in realtime!
Monkey
Match Winner

Post by Monkey »

Plan 9 is something I wish I had been there for. Massively distributed computing is a bit of a fascination of mine
I believe that, eventually, UNIX will become more like plan 9. Some have already tried to incorporate features (e.g. /proc). Note that plan 9 isn't perfect (IMO especially with regards to its user interface, too much of which comes from UNIX) but it really has to be UNIX's next step. Its creators have said that it's a research operating system. I've recently heard OpenBSD's founder describing OpenBSD as a research operating system and as the philosophies of the two operating systems are similar, I'm hopefully optimistic :)
stephanietubesocks
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by stephanietubesocks »

ive been having fun with icaros desktop, runs on anything from pentium 3 uses around 100MB ram or there abouts, based on the amiga os and has built in emulation to run amiga progs

this might be the official site ? http://vmwaros.blogspot.com/ im drunk :P

awesome os so minimal
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

stephanietubesocks wrote: awesome os so minimal
With no modern software to run on it. ;)

Seriously, as much of an Amiga nut as I've been in the past, UAE does everything I need for Amiga stuff. ;)

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
aP|Nelg
Match Winner

Post by aP|Nelg »

sinewav wrote:I also avoid KDE at all costs. Too resource heavy for my 10 year old machine.
Just out of curiosity, what DE and distro do you use? Also interested in your system specs.

From what I hear, KDE (especially nowadays) is suprisingly light on system resources. It's not as light as the likes of LXDE, but it's a little bit lighter than MATE and MUCH lighter than GNOME 3. I want to say KDE uses ~440MB on startup and MATE uses ~600MB. You can probably take this with a grain of salt though, I haven't actually looked at this stuff very recently and am pulling it from memory.
delinquent wrote:Tried HaikuOS not too long ago, as a matter of fact. To say my experience was bumpy would be somewhat of an understatement. The presence of multiple monitors first led to a default resolution of 800/600, then when I attempted to change the resolution and disable all but one monitor my GPU seemed to go into a "sleep" mode. I actually had to switch to the backup bios on the GPU to get any display output at all, even from the main bios startup sequence. Whilst my card wasn't officially supported, I think it's reasonable to expect that most cards will at least function on a basic level. I don't feel particularly comfortable even trying again, so unfortunately all I can say is that it looks pretty.
Haiku doesn't yet have GPU drivers, so it just uses the VESA (which most cards should support). This also means that there's no hardware 3D acceleration (even though there is mesa). There were plans to get 3d acceleration in Intel cards, but progress seems to have stopped.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

aP|Nelg wrote:
sinewav wrote:I also avoid KDE at all costs. Too resource heavy for my 10 year old machine.
Just out of curiosity, what DE and distro do you use? Also interested in your system specs.
You are correct, newer KDE is much lighter than in the past. I was running Plasma 5 at the beginning of the year, but there were bugs. In fact, every version of Ubuntu 18 I've tried has tons of annoying bugs and it's a huge let down from 16.04. Right now I'm using Lubuntu 18 (bugs here too, but I think it's related to AMD drivers which would explain why every OS I installed is unstable).

I finally bought a new computer (lowest specs), so instead of a 10 year old machine I have a one year old -- but it's still weak AF. Why did I buy such a shitty computer? Eh, I have a hard time justifying the money since I'm not a gamer or video producer. I basically use a browser and text editor for most of my work. That may change next year as my job is pressuring me to produce video content.
Monkey
Match Winner

Post by Monkey »

ReactOS is now 12th on DistroWatch despite still only being in Alpha stage of development!
Haiku has climbed to 71st despite still only being in Beta stage of development.
OpenBSD is currently 77th.

Linux's days are numbered!