I finally did it

Anything About Anything...
delinquent
Match Winner

I finally did it

Post by delinquent »

Welp, my curiosity finally caught up with me. Tried swapping some pins on an old Intel chip to see if I could make it more efficient, and it kinda worked until it didn't. Tried testing it out by mining in a Monero pool and now I have a smouldering lump of metal where my testbench used to be. Happy new year!
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Re: I finally did it

Post by sinewav »

:? Another victim of the CyrptoCurrency craze...

I never got into over-clocking and that whole PC tuning culture. The people I know who were most into it were also the least productive people I know, as they spent all their time tuning their PCs instead of using them.
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

Eh, I got over crypto after I lost the wallet that I mined by first BTC into. Hashing, however, is a pretty good indicator of compute power. Anyway, I like to tinker with all sorts of electronics. I'm currently busy trying to make an offline virtual assistant with the help of a wake word engine, but the compute power required to recognise words on the fly is substantial, especially if you want reliability and high dictionary range. I'm hoping one day I'll have my very own Jarvis :D
aP|Nelg
Match Winner

Post by aP|Nelg »

delinquent wrote:I'm currently busy trying to make an offline virtual assistant with the help of a wake word engine, but the compute power required to recognise words on the fly is substantial, especially if you want reliability and high dictionary range. I'm hoping one day I'll have my very own Jarvis
You can probably get some source from Mycroft if you wanted to... although the license would force you to be free software.
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

I checked out Mycroft, and what they're doing seems promising without delving into the code. It's not what I'm after though, I'm building an aggregated relational interpreter. The idea behind it is that tone, surrounding words, direction and phrasing are all used to determine the context of what is said, and whether the speech is directed at the engine or no. It's the same manner in which we determine context, albeit lacking the situational awareness that we have. The problem is that the engine relies on recording and interpreting everything that is said on-the-fly, which is why the system must be offline.

The other set of issues revolve around power and memory allocation. Since the sort of compute ability needed to operate something like this at 100% constantly simply doesn't exist at my price point (yet), trigger function and wake word function needs to be implemented as part of a form of JIT execution. Traditional speech-text-speech interpolators can't keep up (at least consistently) with the average rate of human speech, so commands that are used regularly need to trigger a predefined set of sequences, which takes some of the latency out of the equation.

It doesn't end there, though. The on-the-fly recording of ambient speech allows for that same speech to be played with. Assume that I'm having a conversation about robots, and I use the phrase "There's a robot vacuum cleaner, but I can't remember what it's called". Late-stage execution allows for the recording of that sentence. The trigger term might be "can't remember", so that entire phrase can now be analysed for context. In this scenario, the context is me trying to remember the name of a robot vacuum cleaner. The engine can now issue a command to a connected machine to search for the names of popular robotic vacuum cleaners, and the engine can relay that list of results by interjecting in my conversation.

The real motivation behind this is down to a bit of a language problem I have, possibly related to the aspergers. There are times when I have trouble recalling words, names, etc etc. It drives me nuts and throws me off kilter completely (in fact it pisses me off no end), so the engine serves as a kind of brain backup, if you will.
Monkey
Match Winner

Post by Monkey »

Delinquent wrote:Tried swapping some pins on an old Intel chip...it went BOOM!
As recent events confirm, that's all Intel chips are good for #Meltdown (and #Spectre). :)
Playing since December 2006
stephanietubesocks
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by stephanietubesocks »

unless you upgrade your cooler with liquid nitrogen ... forget it